Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I have gotten a bunch of requests to write up a "how to" for the SWFA Milquad reticle. It is the 6x42mm SS with MQ reticle in the pictures, however the process and use is the same as long as you have a scope who's reticle matches the turret adjustments- mil/mil or MOA/MOA. Mil/mil has some advantages, but the system works regardless.

The set up-
[Linked Image]

Tikka T3 SL in 223
SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ
Pic base and rings
Blackhills 5.56mm 77gr SMKs

Also a Leupold Mark4 12-40x60mm spotter with H32 reticle. This is not necessary but really helpful.

The target after bore sighting. Dot is 1.5". Target is at 100 yards.
[Linked Image]

Understand that the reticle is broken down into .5 mils. Every tick mark is .5 mil, with a bigger tick at each whole mil. The turret adjusts in .1 mil increments. Don't get freaked out by mils- it's just a measuring tape. We will not be thinking in inches at all and instead will use the reticle as a ruler.

Then because it's a known rifle I fire one round. If it were a new or unknown rifle I would go ahead and get a ten (10) round group out as long as it's on paper.

First round.
[Linked Image]

It's easy to see through the scope, but it doesn't show when taking a picture through it so I placed a 1/2" dot over the hole so it shows up.
[Linked Image]

Now place the reticle back on the target and "read" the ruler.
[Linked Image]

It's literally telling you what to adjust. Just break the reticle down visually into tenths.

In this case- "down 1.7 and right 1.5" mils.

If you move the reticle up and bisect the bullet hole and aiming point like this it's even easier to see-
[Linked Image]

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
The easiest is to have a spotter with a mil reticle in it.
[Linked Image]

So you adjust "down 1.7 and right 1.5" mils. Fire another shot-
[Linked Image]

Closer look-
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Now fire nine more to confirm-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

From the reticle and target, dial- left .1mil to center the group. Loosen turret screws, lift off, spin and align with the "0" indicator mark.
[Linked Image]

Zeroing is done. No mental gymnastics, no fuss, no conversions, no weirdness. Think only in mils. Break it down into tenths visually and do not try to convert it to something else. See where the impact is with the reticle, adjust what it says, and done. Firing a statistically significant amount of rounds to see the true center of the group is important as you can easily be off .2 mil with a "1 moa all day" long rifle if you "zero" off of 3 shot groups.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Now how do you take a zeroed rifle and use those turrets and that reticle?

You need a dope card or drop card that tells you how much to adjust for a given range.

We used to have to hang targets at every 100 yard line and walk our rounds into the target, note the required adjustments, and move to the next. With the advent of accurate ballistic solvers you no longer need to do that. You can use the ballistic program to "true" your data. If you know the real BC of the bullet you can true the velocity, or if you know the real muzzle velocity you can true the BC for an unknown bullet. In general chronographs are the weakest link and I would default to velocity calibration.

It's pretty easy to find accurate BC's for most bullets by selecting the bullets with "Litz" next to them in the ballistic program as those have been tested and verified by Applied Ballistics and Bryan Litz. While it is improving, manufacturers love to inflate their BC numbers.

The best way to true is to shoot a target as close to transonic speed as possible- as close to 1,340fps as you can. If you can't get that far, then do it as far as possible. If you input all the variables correctly scope height, BC, range, weather, etc. the outcome will be VERY accurate data out to the range that you trued.

For a target I use a piece of steel with a waterline across the middle (this one is set at 600). The goal is to get your rounds splitting the line. This allows you to true your velocity by manipulating the app.
[Linked Image]

You need a good app. There are quite a few good ones, but in this case I use Shooter on an IPhone. It's simple and provides good data. Regardless of what app you use, you follow the same general steps.

First build the rifle profile. Measure and input accurate data with regards to sigh height. I've named the gun, input the barrel twist, sight height, and set everything to mils, and 1/10th graduations-
[Linked Image]

Then I go to "Ammo" hit the "+" sign, and a screen pops up. Select "from bullet library" as I know the bullet I am using will be in there.
[Linked Image]

A "bullet diameter" screen pop up. Select your bullet diameter- for this one ".224".
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Scroll down to "Sierra" and "77gr Matchking (Litz). Select it and choose "G7" as it's a more accurate reflection of the bullet.
[Linked Image]

Next this screen pops up. You can change the name or leave it. Put in your actual muzzle velocity or what you guess it to be. You'll notice most everything was populated but the MZ Velocity, zero range and environmental data (atmospherics). I used a weather meter to get actual, but if you don't have one get as close as you can to the actual. I also set the zero range for "100 yards".

Now I know what this ammo will do as I see about 300k rounds of it shot a year, but I threw a random number of "3,000fps" in there to show the process.
[Linked Image]

Save it, and then select the bullet from the menu, and put In your target range "600" and hit "calculate" in the upper right hand corner and a drop chart is produced-
[Linked Image]

Ignore everything but the "path mils" column. At 600 it says I need "up- 3.5mil" in elevation to hit. Dial it into the scope-
[Linked Image]

Make a wind call (while I was hanging the target I checked the wind. 5-6mph full value).
[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good pics and write up.

I love my milquads. Zeroing a rifle is a breeze now that I can measure with the reticle and the scope tracks.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I am not concerned with getting a prefect wind call, just getting it on target or close enough that I can see the bullet trace and splash. Also remove parallax if able. Even a little bit can screw your data up.
[Linked Image]

I decide to hold right edge of target and fire a round. It strikes just off the left edge and low. Using the reticle I see that I need to come "up .5" and hold a total of "right .7" mils.

Dial "up .5 and hold right .7" mils.
[Linked Image]

The result is a hit on the water line. I fire four more rounds to confirm-
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can see in the reticle that I am ".1 mil" low from splitting the waterline. Final elevation needs to be "4.1 mils" to center.

Go in the upper right hand of the screen and hit the box with the arrow in it. This pops up-
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Select "velocity calibration".

This screen will appear. It will let you input multiple ranges and the actual adjustments needed to hit center. I used one range so put "600" for distance and "4.1" for the adjusted.
[Linked Image]

Go to the bottom and hit "calculate". The "trued" muzzle velocity will appear. Then hit "use MV". The system backward calculates the true muzzle velocity and changes your settings. Now the drop card reflects what you actually needed to hit- i.e. It has been "trued".
[Linked Image]

You can do this without the shortcut by manually changing the MV until the projected drop matches your actual.

After this we're done. The gun is zeroed and the ballistic program is trued out to 600 yards. It will now give you good data for all ranges 600 and in. I didn't hear, but you want to true if possible as close to transonic as you can. It gives you the best data. In all this remember- garbage in, garbage out. Input good data.

P.S. You'll note that there are no extra holes, no "whoopsies", no "flyers", no nonsense. Solid rifles, solid ammo, and solid optics with matching reticle and turrets is the easiest and simplest to use system that you can buy.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks form..finally got a few mil scopes from swfa this sale instead of my usual MOA and will be referencing this post.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great info, clear and consice.
That is certainly the most intuitive lesson I have ever seen on the subject, well done and thank you.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just a quick question.
When inputting the gun data into shooter why is the correction factor for wind and elevation 1.0 instead of zero?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry disregard that question, I gather it means corrections are in units of 1 Mil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good write up. Thank you for taking the time to explain! I need to check out the phone app. I've been doing it on my laptop, phone seems much easier.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice.

Using the dots to measure is much easier than trying to hold the rifle steady while moving the aiming point to the POI, because there's always some wiggle error (not to mention the trouble caused by erectors that don't move, then do).

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As others have said, very good write up and photos. You have made it much more understandable and I thank you for your efforts.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
... In general chronographs are the weakest link and I would default to velocity calibration. ...

Does your experience lump in a three screen Oehler with the ubiquitous compact models?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Very good write up, thank you!

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
No problem fellas. Hope it helps.

Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Sorry disregard that question, I gather it means corrections are in units of 1 Mil.

Correct.

Originally Posted by mathman
... In general chronographs are the weakest link and I would default to velocity calibration. ...

Does your experience lump in a three screen Oehler with the ubiquitous compact models?

Oehler's are good. MagnetoSpeed's are good, Lab Radars can be good. I'm sure that you know but most of the commercial Chronos are garbage.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great post, thanks so much for taking time to put it together... Rick oughta make it a sticky..

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have already sighted in my SS 6x42MQ and admit to converting inches to mils for the adjustment. I was only 1" low and 1" left. I adjusted to be 2" high at 100 yards. Next two shots straddled the verticle line 2" high. The adjustments were very precise. I am not used to that.

I had a little trouble determining which reticle mark was over the initial bullet hole but could easily see the grid marks on my target. That's why I converted inches to mils.

One question, if I refocus the eyepiece to make the reticle sharper will my point of impact be affected? Does it depend on the quality of the scope or what?

Thanks for the post. Lot's of information.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice!!

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks a hundred times. Wondered about the correction factors too. So - on a scope with 1/4 MOA adjustments I'd input, what?

Care to go into some atmospheric inputs on the Shooter app? Absolute? ASM? ICAO? Enable Zero Atmosphere? MV Variation?

Correct.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great post, Form! Nicely done with the pics and simple steps. I thought I might add a couple of thoughts to hopefully give additional clarification.

1. For anyone struggling to make the transition to thinking it terms of MRAD instead of inches, let's talk angular measurement for a minute. Mils (MRAD) sound weird and unfamiliar to most guys. It's really just an angular unit like degrees are, so let's call them degrees for this explanation. Most guys can picture a 15 degree or a 45 degree angle in their heads- it's a unit of measure that we're familiar with. Let's suppose you were throwing a baseball or football to a friend that is 50 yards away. You'd need to aim your throw up in the sky at perhaps a 35 degree angle in order to land the ball in your friend's hands. If your throw hits a little low, say at your friend's feet instead of at his chest level, you're not going to say to yourself, "okay, that hit 4 feet low, so at 50 yards 4 feet translates into 9.6 degrees, so I'd better aim my throw another 9.6 degrees higher, for a total angle of 44.6 degrees, in order to land the ball at chest level", you're just going to intuitively aim the throw at a little steeper angle, and it'll hit higher on your friend's body. Well this is similar to converting inches to MOA or MRAD when shooting. It's just a bunch of extra thinking and work to be converting back and forth between linear and angular units, when you could just think in terms of the angle. Unlike the baseball/football, you're not going to adjust your rifle intuitively (Kentucky windage), instead you're going to use an optical, angular ruler (reticle) to measure the adjustment angle needed, and instead of 9.6 degrees, it'll be 0.2 or 1.5 MRAD, or something similar.

There are 360 degrees in a circle. Now instead of picturing a circle that's flat on the ground like a compass, picture a circle that's standing vertical like a Ferris wheel. You can imagine that circle being marked with 360, 1-degree tick marks all around its circumference. Now instead of imagining 1-degree tick marks, imagine that the circle is divided into 6 slices (well 6.28 to be more exact), and the tick mark on each slice is called a 1-radian mark. Now picture each of those slices being divided up into 1000 pieces, and each of those little pieces is approximately a milliradian (MRAD for short). When you adjust 1 MRAD, you're adjusting the angle by one of those tiny slices. Now with that out of the way, let's go back to degrees. If you change the angle of your football throw by 1 degree, that's a 1 degree change whether your friend is standing 10 yards away or 50 yards away. Of course a 1 degree change will land the football only 1" higher at 10 yards, but would land the ball 5" higher at 50 yards. Now if you had an optical angular ruler and could watch the ball land low, you'd be able to measure the angle you need to adjust your throw by, and could try to throw 9.6 degrees higher (your arm doesn't have adjustable turrets on it, unfortunately). So whether your target it as 10 yards or 50, if you see a 1 degree correction is needed, it's 1 degree. If your target is at 10,000 yards and you see in your angular ruler that you need a 1 degree angle correction, that means you need 1 degree. Same with MRAD. If your reticle shows 1 MRAD correction needed, that's the same at 100 yards or 500. Of course that would translate into 3.6" at 100 yards and 18" at 500 yards, but we don't need or want to translate. Keep it in MRAD and keep life simple. One MRAD.

Now we often measure group size in MOA because of industry standard convention, but we could easily use MRAD for that too, except that nobody would know what we were talking about grin Aside from that, measuring target size, windage hold-off, shot correction, lead for a moving target, etc, are all measured/held using MRAD.

2. To the guys noticing that the elevation and windage correction factors are set to "1", this is something that needs to be verified if you're using your scope for shooting much beyond 500 yards. If your turret adjustments are 100% perfect, then the correction factor should be set to "1". If the actual adjustment is 0.99 mil per 1 mil (10 clicks) dialed instead of the advertised 1 mil per 10 clicks, then your correction factor should be set to 0.99. You'll need to verify whether your specific ballistic app uses the correction factor as the ratio of actual to advertised adjustments, or advertised to actual. With Ballistic:AE it's actual to advertised, so if you find that your turret adjusts 0.102 mil per click instead of the advertised 0.1 mil per click (1.02 mil actual adjustment for 1 dialed mil, if you dialed in 10 clicks), then the correction factor should be set to 1.02 (a ratio of 1.02 actual divided by 1.00 advertised). This can be measured and verified using a Tall Target test with an accurate rifle, as well as by setting up your scope in a fixture and testing tracking, or alternatively by measuring your reticle against a set subtension target at a set distance (to make sure your reticle is an accurate baseline), and then using an optical grid like the Bushnell magnetic boresighter to check that your turrets track properly as measured with your reticle. DON'T do this for your windage turret if you plan on using your reticle for windage holdoffs, that's assuming your reticle subtends true to form, as verified when doing the Tall Target test. Since we're using the reticle for windage, we don't care all that much what the turret does, and we want our ballistic app to spit out wind holds using the correct subtension of the reticle, not corrected for the actual adjustment increments of the windage turret. So if your reticle reads 5 MRAD, and that is truly 5 MRAD, leave the windage correction factor at "1".

This ensures that the ballistic app is telling you to adjust the ele. turret the correct amount, given how much each click is actually moving the reticle. At closer distances a 1 or 2% error isn't going to make a whole lot of difference in your shot solution (eg. 2.0 mil versus 2.04 mil), but can start to stack up when dialing in larger correction values.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another excellent post.

This thread should be a sticky at the top...............

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Thanks a hundred times. Wondered about the correction factors too. So - on a scope with 1/4 MOA adjustments I'd input, what?

Care to go into some atmospheric inputs on the Shooter app? Absolute? ASM? ICAO? Enable Zero Atmosphere? MV Variation?

The correction factor really just refers to the percent error of your turret's actual adjustments compared to advertised. So if you select 1/4 MOA adjustments in Shooter or Ballistic:AE or any other good app, and your turrets truly adjust 0.25 MOA, then you'd leave the correction factor as "1". If it adjusts 0.23 MOA, then you'd enter 0.92 in for the correction factor. If one click adjusts 0.27 MOA, you'd enter 1.08, and so on. EDIT: This is how Ballistic:AE works, which is what I use, but it looks like the Shooter app does the inverse of this. So with Shooter, if your turret actually adjusts 0.23 MOA, you'd enter 1.087.

Absolute pressure refers to whether you're entering the actual air pressure compared to a vacuum, or if you're entering air pressure corrected for sea level. If you're located a few thousand feet above sea level, and you see a reading of 29.92 InHg, then you're reading relative, gauge, or barometric pressure. If you look at your Kestrel and see a reading of 25.62 InHg, then you're reading absolute pressure. Absolute pressure read off of a handheld device is preferred, as it bypasses conversions and local weather station input. FYI, if you have an iPhone 6 or newer, your phone has an air pressure gauge built in, and you just have to get the "Barometer" app to get absolute pressure readings from your phone without having to use a Kestrel or similar.

Enable Zero Atmosphere means that your app will compare your current shooting atmospheric conditions with the conditions present when you zero'd the scope with that load, and will calculate the difference in your zero for use in your current shot solution. If this is clicked off, the app just leaves your zero the same for any atmospheric condition.

I use Ballistic:AE instead of Shooter, so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing that MV variation is a measure of the temp sensitivity of the powder you used in your load, and how much the MV changes for each degree F in temperature change.

ASM and ICAO are just two different atmospheric standards that bullet companies reference when advertising BC values. The Shooter app manual says this: "Berger, Nosler and Lapua all use ICAO. Sierra, Barnes, Hornady and Winchester use ASM". Not a big deal which you select, as it doesn't make a big difference.

The manual can be found here: https://www.shooterapp.net/manual.php

Note: Read the manual for whatever app you use, as the terminology used between different apps can refer to different things.

Last edited by Jordan Smith; 12/07/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This and your previous post regarding proper scope mounting is undoubtedly the best posts in the Optics Forum in a looooooong time!

Kudos

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the posting Formidilosus, I have a Burris 2-10x42 XTR II and I love the mil radian turrets. Your write up is basically what I do. Site in at 100 yards and use the JBM Ballistics program. I only have access to a 500 yard range, but it works like a charm out to there.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
If you are shooting at 200 yards (or further) instead of 100 can you use the reticle in exactly the same way, i.e. - just read the mils on the target and adjust accordingly to move POI to zero? Or is there some conversion? So far I've only shot my 10X at 100 yards so I haven't tried this.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
If you are shooting at 200 yards (or further) instead of 100 can you use the reticle in exactly the same way, i.e. - just read the mils on the target and adjust accordingly to move POI to zero? Or is there some conversion? So far I've only shot my 10X at 100 yards so I haven't tried this.

I addressed this in my first post in this thread. The angle measured with your reticle is the same no matter what distance the target is at.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Very nicely explained. I'll be linking to this.

ILya

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks Jordan and I bet Formi thanks you too for saving him the key strokes!

Great stuff guys!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Jordan! Sorry, I didn't read all of your previous post. And thanks to Formi for the original writeup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Thanks form..finally got a few mil scopes from swfa this sale instead of my usual MOA and will be referencing this post.

All of Form’s post holds true for ffp MOA scopes as well. Only difference is you would set adjustments to be .25 and swap it to moa

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great post Form, thanks much!

Now, I guess I'll have to get a smart phone.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

All of Form’s post holds true for ffp MOA scopes as well. Only difference is you would set adjustments to be .25 and swap it to moa

And if you did that you'd be wrong. You've just illustrated why Mils is superior to MOA. A Mil is always a Mil, but 1" is not the same as 1 MOA. Just like 0.25" is not 1/4 MOA . 0.261" is 1/4 MOA. (one MOA = 1.047") It may not seem like much, but when you shoot long range small errors compound.

IPHY is Inch Per hundred yards and is also called SMOA.

Let me illustrate: 6.5mm 147 Grain Hornady ELD M @ 2800 FPS. I'll calculate both in MOA (1 MOA = 1.047") and 1 IPHY = 1.0" at 100 yds.

Drop in MOA @ 1000 yds. is 27.2 MOA

Drop in IPHY @ 1000 yds 28.5"

The difference is 1.3 MOA @ 1000 yds or 13.61". That a pretty large error and could be a big miss.

Windage in MOA @ 1000 yds 5.8 MOA

Windage in IPHY @ 1000 yds. 6"

That's only a net difference of 0.2 MOA or 2.1" Not much difference because it was compounded less.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Thanks to Form and Jordan for the schooling!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sticky this please!

Also, sticky Form's scope mounting thread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Shadow
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

And if you did that you'd be wrong. You've just illustrated why Mils is superior to MOA. A Mil is always a Mil, but 1" is not the same as 1 MOA. Just like 0.25" is not 1/4 MOA . 0.261" is 1/4 MOA. (one MOA = 1.047") It may not seem like much, but when you shoot long range small errors compound.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't see anywhere where MallardAddcit said anything about inches at all. Just like one click on a MILs scope is always .1 mils regardless of distance. One click on a MOA scope is always .25 MOA.

Both MOA and MILs work fine....so long as you just leave any sort of linear measurements out of it. I agree that tenths are easier to work with in my mind than fractions but neither really is that big of an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW great post Form the pics really helps with the explanation. Already sent this post to several friends to better help them understand what all them lines on the reticle mean and how to use them. wink

Great follow up info as well Jordan!

I agree this thread needs to be a sticky!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Gents,

Another great post, always appreciate it when those who know their schitt share their knowledge & experience in a non-inflated manner. Form and Jordan are two of the best at it.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you for the information gentlemen.

LOL
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When you needs some tips on applying Thread Lock let me know I'm sure I can get ya up to snuff

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Absolute pressure refers to whether you're entering the actual air pressure compared to a vacuum, or if you're entering air pressure corrected for sea level. If you're located a few thousand feet above sea level, and you see a reading of 29.92 InHg, then you're reading relative, gauge, or barometric pressure. If you look at your Kestrel and see a reading of 25.62 InHg, then you're reading absolute pressure. Absolute pressure read off of a handheld device is preferred, as it bypasses conversions and local weather station input. FYI, if you have an iPhone 6 or newer, your phone has an air pressure gauge built in, and you just have to get the "Barometer" app to get absolute pressure readings from your phone without having to use a Kestrel or similar.

Enable Zero Atmosphere means that your app will compare your current shooting atmospheric conditions with the conditions present when you zero'd the scope with that load, and will calculate the difference in your zero for use in your current shot solution. If this is clicked off, the app just leaves your zero the same for any atmospheric condition.

I use Ballistic:AE instead of Shooter, so I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing that MV variation is a measure of the temp sensitivity of the powder you used in your load, and how much the MV changes for each degree F in temperature change.

Jordan, have you been able to get Ballistic AE to use the iPhone internal barometer and gps for measurements instead of looking for data from a local weather station? I thought it was supposed to per the literature, but with cell and wifi turned off to test it, it fails to populate any weather data on my iPhone 6s. I only just downloaded Ballistic AE a few days ago though so I may be missing something.

I know the sensors on my phone work fine because Strelok does use the internal barometer and GPS, although I don't like the app layout as much.

As a side note, a handy iOS app I discovered recently is Density Altitude+; it's a very simple app that calculates density altitude from the device sensors and a temp input, which defaults to a local weather station but can be manually adjusted too. Well worth the $1.99 for the app.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/08/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you had posted this before black friday they would have sold 3x as many of them...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering

Jordan, have you been able to get Ballistic AE to use the iPhone internal barometer and gps for measurements instead of looking for data from a local weather station? I thought it was supposed to per the literature, but with cell and wifi turned off to test it, it fails to populate any weather data on my iPhone 6s. I only just downloaded Ballistic AE a few days ago though so I may be missing something.

I know the sensors on my phone work fine because Strelok does use the internal barometer and GPS, although I don't like the app layout as much.

As a side note, a handy iOS app I discovered recently is Density Altitude+; it's a very simple app that calculates density altitude from the device sensors and a temp input, which defaults to a local weather station but can be manually adjusted too. Well worth the $1.99 for the app.

Thanks for the tip on the Density Altitude app, I'll check it out.

The GPS doesn't get used to populate weather data, IME, but the barometer does get used to populate the absolute pressure box. Sometimes you have to click the "get weather" button, then click on the pressure box specifically for the measured pressure data to appear. I thought it was just a glitch that sometimes happens with my particular phone, but it might be more broad-based than that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Akbob5
Gents,

Another great post, always appreciate it when those who know their schitt share their knowledge & experience in a non-inflated manner. Form and Jordan are two of the best at it.

+1

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big fan of that set up. Wish I'd gone MQ instead of MD on mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And on a side note, I'd love to see that reticle in a 6x42 Leupold body and forget the turret.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tag

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the thread!

2 questions:

1) In the walk-through, Shooter back-calculated to an MV of 2860, but in the next picture, MV was listed as 2840. Why is that? A calculation issue? I'm not familiar with shooter.

2) Why in the world did someone come up with 'density-altitude' rather than just using station pressure and RH? What's the advantage?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are only two things that affect bullet flight; air and gravity. Gravity is simple but air is very complicated. Air density- the medium we are shooting through- is dependent on temperature, pressure, altitude, humidity... you get the point.

Density Altitude is the real air pressure we are dealing with based on true altitude combined with temperature etc to give a more accurate representation of the density of the air the bullet is dealing with. Better data results in better solutions.

Cold air is dense, hot air is thin.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've heard high air is thin, and low air is thick..... The lowlanders that come up here elk hunting swear by it.....

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Get a pilot's license & "density altitude" will make a lot of sense!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Excellent information in this thread.
Thanks.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Is the free app istrelok any good or should we just pay the $10 for shoooter app?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The free strelok is really hamstrung, the $10 Version works great. Shooter is good as well. I use both at whim

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MZ5

2) Why in the world did someone come up with 'density-altitude' rather than just using station pressure and RH? What's the advantage?

as dennisinaz said, it's a way to simplify things; instead of using 3-4 different weather value inputs, you can use just one. FWIW temp plays a big part in this calculation even if the elevation doesn't change; for example in my area near sea level, we're at -1,500 to -2,000 ft density altitude right now (clear and cold weather), but it will change to 2,000+ ft d/a when it warms up a bit and gets cloudy, even without climbing the mountains.

Taking that a step further, you can print a dope chart for every 2,000 ft change in density altitude in your area and have your bases covered pretty well all year round.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/09/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is good stuff - thanks for taking the time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
As much as I'd maybe like to, I can't get MIL going and I'm stuck on MOA.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
One thing to consider. Some of the new rangefinders and rangefinder binos, with ballistic software in them automatically take many of these atmospheric conditions into account.Along with angle change ect. I have found the information that my leica HD b s gives me in mils has been spot on from below zero to hot summer temperatures. I still have a range card, but don't use it. I dial what my binos tell me. I have only shot to 800 with it,generally concentrating on shots from 500 to 600 for 1 shot kills on coyotes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Me too....and one of the primary reasons is I'd have too much crap to switch over.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Me too....and one of the primary reasons is I'd have too much crap to switch over.

Are you guys still thinking in terms of inches of correction to make?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'm that same way with lat/lon vs UTM but have no problem going back and forth between moa and mils, go figure.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Everything described in this thread applies to MOA as well as MRAD.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I totally rock mils as being 3.6 inches at 100 somethings. Kidding, sort of. I'll take that factor of ten stuff anytime anyhow though. UTMs too.

--- Kid Rock 2022

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Thanks to Jordan and the others who are answering questions.

Originally Posted by MZ5
Thanks for the thread!

2 questions:

1) In the walk-through, Shooter back-calculated to an MV of 2860, but in the next picture, MV was listed as 2840. Why is that? A calculation issue? I'm not familiar with shooter.

1). Screw up on my part. Corrected MV is 2,840fps.

2). One number to input versus multiple. Batter way to go.

Originally Posted by atse
One thing to consider. Some of the new rangefinders and rangefinder binos, with ballistic software in them automatically take many of these atmospheric conditions into account.Along with angle change ect. I have found the information that my leica HD b s gives me in mils has been spot on from below zero to hot summer temperatures. I still have a range card, but don't use it. I dial what my binos tell me. I have only shot to 800 with it,generally concentrating on shots from 500 to 600 for 1 shot kills on coyotes.

The ballistic function is good, however in truly steep conditions at long range unless it's showing both straight line and corrected distance your wind corrections will be wrong. Just something for people to keep in mind.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
This is generally what happens within a day or two when die hard MOA users learn to use both MOA and mils correctly-

"Wow both are just numbers that I spin to and they both work the same"

and then

"Wow, you know mils is easier to see and count on the reticle"

and then

"Wow, the drop corrections are easier to remember in mils"

and then

"Wow, wind brackets are easier with mils"

And then....

"I'm selling all my MOA scopes".

Seen't it. DOZENS of times.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Originally Posted by MZ5
Thanks for the thread!

2 questions:

2). One number to input versus multiple. Batter way to go.

Originally Posted by atse

The ballistic function is good, however in truly steep conditions at long range unless it's showing both straight line and corrected distance your wind corrections will be wrong. Just something for people to keep in mind.

Wind holds in the high country suck. It may change twice especially being above the deer shooting down into a basin. Solution: for me get closer. I have found with my geovids on very steep downward angles that there is .1 mils less per 100 yds hold, than a shot with little to no elevation. That is a rough calculation, but pretty consistent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is generally what happens within a day or two when die hard MOA users learn to use both MOA and mils correctly-

and then

and then

and then

And then....

That's pretty much it. I've seen it a bunch of times, myself, after going through that very process myself several years ago. Though I ran both MRAD and MOA for a while while I transitioned the majority of my herd over to MRAD.

I would add this, though- "Wow, you know mils is easier to see and count on the reticle, and the turret".

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MZ5

as dennisinaz said, it's a way to simplify things; instead of using 3-4 different weather value inputs, you can use just one.

I don't see how it simplifies anything. If you know the current barometric pressure at sea level, plus your temperature and altitude, you can calculate your station pressure. That's important because it tells you that station pressure accounts for both temperature and altitude. That means the only additional thing your ballistic solver needs besides station pressure is RH*. If you use corrected pressure instead, then you also need temperature and altitude in order to calculate your station pressure.

D-A basically gives you station pressure + RH, and then 'corrects' or relates it to some altitude where you _would_ be if everything was at the mythical ICAO 'standard' pressure. That's fine, but it actually _adds_ a level of complexity and abstraction to things, as far as I can see.

*Actually, I'm not convinced RH is a factor if you're using station pressure, but I'd have to review a bunch of stuff to feel confident of that.

So, what am I missing?

Last edited by MZ5; 12/09/17.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Originally Posted by MZ5
Thanks for the thread!

2 questions:

Okay, thank you. I'm less confused now. (-:

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
be interesting to see at what velocity/BC/distance that temp RH and air pressure make a 1 inch difference in POI.

I really don't know.

I expect to hunt between 4500 and 9500 feet ASL

temp between 0 and 90 F (30-60 F most often)

BC - .350 probably (is that officially a ping pong ball?)

distance 100-250 yards.

ps appreciate the original post. useful, easy to understand, helpful same as how to mount bases, scopes, rings (degrease, degrease, degrease)

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MZ5
Originally Posted by MZ5

as dennisinaz said, it's a way to simplify things; instead of using 3-4 different weather value inputs, you can use just one.

I don't see how it simplifies anything. If you know the current barometric pressure at sea level, plus your temperature and altitude, you can calculate your station pressure. That's important because it tells you that station pressure accounts for both temperature and altitude. That means the only additional thing your ballistic solver needs besides station pressure is RH*. If you use corrected pressure instead, then you also need temperature and altitude in order to calculate your station pressure.

D-A basically gives you station pressure + RH, and then 'corrects' or relates it to some altitude where you _would_ be if everything was at the mythical ICAO 'standard' pressure. That's fine, but it actually _adds_ a level of complexity and abstraction to things, as far as I can see.

*Actually, I'm not convinced RH is a factor if you're using station pressure, but I'd have to review a bunch of stuff to feel confident of that.

So, what am I missing?

You're right about the calculations, though RH does affect a ballistic solution, because it changes the effective density of the air, regardless of air pressure. Water vapour molecules are actually lighter and less dense than air molecules, so high RH decreases the air density. The effect of RH on air density is minimal, though, compared to pressure and temperature.

The way DA simplifies things, is that there are devices that use sensors to take the measurements and spit out a DA number for you to enter into your ballistic app. That way you don't have to manually take 4 measurements and enter each in separately. If your ballistic app is equipped with on-board sensors to take all necessary measurements, then it doesn't matter which air density calculation standard you use, except that you need to remember that the fewer measurements you can take, the better, as each measurement introduces error into the calculation. So measuring absolute/station pressure directly is better than taking a barometric pressure measurement and then calculating the station pressure using a temperature and altitude measurement.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

and then

and then

and then

And then....

They are, and if you got drop charts in your hand they are just the same. It's just simpler for me dealing in 'inches'

Does a critter hit with MIL adjustments die quicker than one hit with MOA adjustments? Thanks

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore
be interesting to see at what velocity/BC/distance that temp RH and air pressure make a 1 inch difference in POI.

I really don't know.

I expect to hunt between 4500 and 9500 feet ASL

temp between 0 and 90 F (30-60 F most often)

BC - .350 probably (is that officially a ping pong ball?)

distance 100-250 yards.

ps appreciate the original post. useful, easy to understand, helpful same as how to mount bases, scopes, rings (degrease, degrease, degrease)

At 250 yards it's pretty negligible.

Assuming 2900 fps MV, at 250 m your bullet will drop the following amounts from a 100 m zero:

4500 ft ASL, 0F
9.1"/0.9 mil

9500 ft, 90F
8.4"/0.8 mil

Not even a 1" difference. At further distances the differences become very large.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I need to know the value of each, then I`m good to go. Once I knew that .1 mil = .36 inches, no more quesswork. My MOA/Mil dot scopes are just as easy (SS10x42 MIL dot x MOA glass for instance. BUT, these scopes need to be used, frequently, to keep the mind in the game....at least my mind.
I have gone to a brainless solution, in that I make my own drop tapes to place on my turrets. Figure the balistics, shoot to conferm, then the tape in 50 yrd increments goes on the dial. Range, dial and shoot. Should I go to a different bullet, velocity etc. I make a new tape, keep the old one in the bullet box for a change back. For you computer guys, all you need is the dia. of the dial..break that down into moa or mils. My son prints these off for me so I got lotsa spairs. But I shoot almost every day, retired, 5-6 different rifles with these scopes on em..I also have several different places to shoot at distance. I`m lucky.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I need to know the value of each, then I`m good to go. Once I knew that .1 mil = .36 inches, no more quesswork. My MOA/Mil dot scopes are just as easy (SS10x42 MIL dot x MOA glass for instance. BUT, these scopes need to be used, frequently, to keep the mind in the game....at least my mind.
I have gone to a brainless solution, in that I make my own drop tapes to place on my turrets. Figure the balistics, shoot to conferm, then the tape in 50 yrd increments goes on the dial. Range, dial and shoot. Should I go to a different bullet, velocity etc. I make a new tape, keep the old one in the bullet box for a change back. For you computer guys, all you need is the dia. of the dial..break that down into moa or mils. My son prints these off for me so I got lotsa spairs. But I shoot almost every day, retired, 5-6 different rifles with these scopes on em..I also have several different places to shoot at distance. I`m lucky.

As a mathematician this statement is killing me. grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Does a critter hit with MIL adjustments die quicker than one hit with MOA adjustments? Thanks

Troublemaker.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I`m not,...so Why?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's only one range at which 0.1 Mil = 0.36"

--- Kid Rock 2022

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Um, my quess would be 100 yrds? Then .72 at 200, 1.08 at 300 etc

Or .25 at 100, .50 at 200, .75 at 300 etc. Like I`ve already admitted, I`m no Mathman....so are these correct?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I`m not,...so Why?

A milliradian is an angle, an inch is a length.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
balistics, conferm,, spairs..

As a mathematician this statement is killing me. grin

and as a spelling nazi, this is killing me.......grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks Mathman. But for me .36 inches works.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Um, my quess would be 100 yrds? Then .72 at 200, 1.08 at 300 etc

Or .25 at 100, .50 at 200, .75 at 300 etc. Like I`ve already admitted, I`m no Mathman....so are these correct?

It's all good. Whatever it takes to get a feel for it. But that way of thinking gets weaker further out where a Mil is a Mil is a Mil and there's zero need for inches. I have had to think in 0.36" when using targets with inch grids where I could not see bullet holes in the scope, lacking a Mil spotter. wink

--- Kid Rock 2022

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

A whole(hole) smile thread on how to site in a rifle. It’s glorious this place is full of [bleep] morons. Next week some one will do a shoe tying step by step and you poor retarded [bleep] can stop tripping on your laces or depending on your mommas.

Formillous you keep showing these guys all your tricks they will be setting in that black hawk with you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, Freddie!
Four complete sentences - congrats, tiger.

You calling-out anyone out for being challenged is NEVER not funny.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
GregW gave me this tip, and I think it's a good one, at least for me it is. On the drop chart thing, I have a column for Wind correction in Mils, and one right beside it I have a column for wind drift in inches. Since I'm familiar with how big a deer is, or aoudad, antelope, etc, it gives me a good mental image of what the wind is supposedly doing at given ranges. It simplifies things for my feeble (and newbie to this Mils stuff) mind. Obviously I hold for wind with the Mil hashes (SWFA 3-9) but I like knowing the inches in drift as well. Call me weird.

Good stuff Formid. Thanks for taking the time. Jordan as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by SKane
Wow, Freddie!

Thanks. Kinda figured you would be at the range doing some site in now that you got the skinny on how to. LOL. Kill any elk this year Scotty. Seem Donny got a creedmoor cherry while back.
This is not as good as the how to open a box of nosler bullets but it’s gotta be close.

Last edited by fredIII; 12/09/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wow, Freddie!

Laughing....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow, Freddie!

Isn't that the truth.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
GregW gave me this tip, and I think it's a good one, at least for me it is. On the drop chart thing, I have a column for Wind correction in Mils, and one right beside it I have a column for wind drift in inches. Since I'm familiar with how big a deer is, or aoudad, antelope, etc, it gives me a good mental image of what the wind is supposedly doing at given ranges. It simplifies things for my feeble (and newbie to this Mils stuff) mind. Obviously I hold for wind with the Mil hashes (SWFA 3-9) but I like knowing the inches in drift as well. Call me weird.

Good stuff Formid. Thanks for taking the time. Jordan as well.

It's not a bad thing to know the linear equivalent to angular dispersion at a given range, given that our targets are linear by nature, and not angular, but when it comes to making shot corrections the point is to get away from feeling the need to convert angular numbers into linear ones, and then convert them back to angular again to dial them into the turrets.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Your dumb azz gave up and went with Velcro long ago. LMMFAO.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You can site in a rifle on this sight.....

--- Kid Rock 2022

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Hell maybe after the shoe tying how to. We can get steelhead to do a how to get laid at family reunions even with abnormally spaced eyes. 😂

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wow! I'm excited now. Big stick will be along to straighten out the kouch Kunitz out. LMAO

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey fred, "formillous" posted this thread because a few people asked him to. Not everyone was born with a mil taped to their forehead.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Someone said it ain't hard to tell who shoots. Fredrica just is dying to have others put him in the shooters category. TFF

Take care, Willie

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

You're right about the calculations, though RH does affect a ballistic solution, because it changes the effective density of the air, regardless of air pressure. Water vapour molecules are actually lighter and less dense than air molecules, so high RH decreases the air density. The effect of RH on air density is minimal, though, compared to pressure and temperature.

The way DA simplifies things, is that there are devices that use sensors to take the measurements and spit out a DA number for you to enter into your ballistic app. That way you don't have to manually take 4 measurements and enter each in separately. If your ballistic app is equipped with on-board sensors to take all necessary measurements, then it doesn't matter which air density calculation standard you use, except that you need to remember that the fewer measurements you can take, the better, as each measurement introduces error into the calculation. So measuring absolute/station pressure directly is better than taking a barometric pressure measurement and then calculating the station pressure using a temperature and altitude measurement.

Right, I agree that RH affects air density. That is why I am not confident that station pressure fails to account for it, but again I’d have to go to some references. This is not a thing I’ve had occasion to calculate, at least not for a long while. Talking about the calcs was my attempt to make sure we don’t assume either too much or too little about one another’s thinking.

My point is that the maximum number of measurements one needs to make and possibly enter is two: station pressure and perhaps RH. If the ballistic solver is forcing entry of temp and alt on top of station pressure, then it’s programmers may be ignorant of what is needed to properly compute the solution(?).

DA _may_ simplify that by one item. However, it looks very much like trying to work around an elaborate set of work-around a that we’re already used to using, that most don’t understand we don’t need to bother with. Just use station pressure and _maybe_ RH and be done. No more equipment to buy, no more elaborate gobbledygook that wows is with technical nonsense that, in the end, just makes a ton of calculations in one direction merely so that the same calcs can be run the other way before spitting out an answer. To me, entering 1 or 2 parameters and dropping the pretense is much simpler and easier than entering for sure only 1, but requiring yet more equipment or calculations and reference tables.

Perhaps we all have our own notions of what constitutes simplicity and ease.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MZ5

Right, I agree that RH affects air density. That is why I am not confident that station pressure fails to account for it, but again I’d have to go to some references. This is not a thing I’ve had occasion to calculate, at least not for a long while. Talking about the calcs was my attempt to make sure we don’t assume either too much or too little about one another’s thinking.

My point is that the maximum number of measurements one needs to make and possibly enter is two: station pressure and perhaps RH. If the ballistic solver is forcing entry of temp and alt on top of station pressure, then it’s programmers may be ignorant of what is needed to properly compute the solution(?).

DA _may_ simplify that by one item. However, it looks very much like trying to work around an elaborate set of work-around a that we’re already used to using, that most don’t understand we don’t need to bother with. Just use station pressure and _maybe_ RH and be done. No more equipment to buy, no more elaborate gobbledygook that wows is with technical nonsense that, in the end, just makes a ton of calculations in one direction merely so that the same calcs can be run the other way before spitting out an answer. To me, entering 1 or 2 parameters and dropping the pretense is much simpler and easier than entering for sure only 1, but requiring yet more equipment or calculations and reference tables.

Perhaps we all have our own notions of what constitutes simplicity and ease.

Gotcha. I misunderstood you there- thought you were questioning whether RH is relevant or not. My thinking is, given that a pressure gauge measures the absolute pressure of the air at the position of the gauge, it's really just measuring the weight of the air column over a given area, and that weight includes the weight of the air molecules as well as the water vapor molecules. So station pressure does account for RH, but air density is calculated by inputting measured absolute pressure, RH, as well as temperature, which is why those variables appear in all the top ballistic apps.

So we can input 3 variables- absolute pressure, RH, and temp, we can enter 4 variables- baro pressure, altitude, RH, and temp, or 2 variables- DA and temp.

I agree. It doesn't matter which method you use. It just saves time and complication in the field if you're required to enter fewer inputs. I'm not saying one way is better than the other as long as the process and inputs are simplified and minimized. I've always used abs. pressure, temp, and RH method up until now, because my Kestrel doesn't measure DA and my phone has an integrated pressure sensor, but now that I have that DA app, I may start using that. We'll see. Really, I'm either entering DA and temp, or abs. pressure and temp. I leave RH set at 50% unless I'm shooting beyond 1000, given how little impact it has on the shot solution.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yea, I also flunked spelling in shcool..thanks for the reminder..

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The SWFA really is a no brainer to sight in. Shot one at 100, used the reticle to see I was off 1.2 vertically and 1.5 horizontally. 12 clicks over and 15 up. Next shot right on.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

So we can input 3 variables- absolute pressure, RH, and temp, we can enter 4 variables- baro pressure, altitude, RH, and temp, or 2 variables- DA and temp.

I agree. It doesn't matter which method you use. It just saves time and complication in the field if you're required to enter fewer inputs. I'm not saying one way is better than the other as long as the process and inputs are simplified and minimized. I've always used abs. pressure, temp, and RH method up until now, because my Kestrel doesn't measure DA and my phone has an integrated pressure sensor, but now that I have that DA app, I may start using that. We'll see. Really, I'm either entering DA and temp, or abs. pressure and temp. I leave RH set at 50% unless I'm shooting beyond 1000, given how little impact it has on the shot solution.

Actually if you use DA, you shouldn't need to enter temp, because it's already part of the DA calculation.

Ballistic AE does still ask for temp, but it's only for converting velocity to a mach number, I think for estimating the transonic region. Changing the temp value with a consistent DA input shouldn't have any effect on the drop values, if I understand what Ballistic AE is doing.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Side note for those still stuck on inches and the odd 1 mil = .36" per 100 yd thing - it's really just .1 yd at 100 yd. There happens to be 36 inches in a yard...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Actually if you use DA, you shouldn't need to enter temp, because it's already part of the DA calculation.

Ballistic AE does still ask for temp, but it's only for converting velocity to a mach number, I think for estimating the transonic region. Changing the temp value with a consistent DA input shouldn't have any effect on the drop values, if I understand what Ballistic AE is doing.

Yeah, I noticed that. I suppose if you don't care about the transonic region you could leave the mach number/temp out and just use the DA input.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by smokepole
Hey fred, "formillous" posted this thread because a few people asked him to. Not everyone was born with a mil taped to their forehead.

Smoke everyone here could learn a bunch from formillous just fun that it’s needed to explain the most simple aspects of reticle use. It was in no way a shot at him but the guys that requested crack me up.

Last edited by fredIII; 12/09/17.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

So, Yondering, do you know: Since RH impacts air density, doesn't station (absolute) pressure account for it, and thus the only thing the ballistic solver needs is station pressure?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by smokepole

Smoke everyone here could learn a bunch from formillous just fun that it’s needed to explain the most simple aspects of reticle use. It was in no way a shot at him but the guys that requested crack me up.

I myself, crack myself up. That's all I need.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Another thought about air density.

When calculating air density from absolute pressure, we need to know if a pressure increase, for example, is due to a lower ratio of moisture/air in the air column, or more air molecules in the column due to colder/slower molecules remaining in the column longer before diffusing out. So abs. pressure is not enough to calculate air density. We need all three variable quantities- abs. pressure, RH, and temp. Maybe these references can help clarify for you; note that p refers to the observed absolute pressure:

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Density_of_air.html

https://www.gribble.org/cycling/air_density.html

https://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/Density_of_moist_air.pdf

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Geez.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Like clockwork.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MZ5

So, Yondering, do you know: Since RH impacts air density, doesn't station (absolute) pressure account for it, and thus the only thing the ballistic solver needs is station pressure?

I don't claim to be an expert on this stuff, but I'm pretty sure station pressure by itself doesn't account for everything, and also that temperature is much more significant than RH. All of the Density Altitude calculators I've seen use station pressure, air temp, and either dew point or RH and elevation to perform the calculation.

I believe the station pressure itself is not enough info, because a compressible gas (like air) changes pressure and volume with temperature. Thermodynamics wasn't my strongest subject, but I think the takeaway here is that we can have a taller but less dense column of air that creates the same absolute pressure but with less density due to higher temp. Clear as mud?

The short answer is that even in it's most simplified form, air density is at least a 3-dimensional problem of pressure, temperature, and one or more other variables.

Here's a good link that explains density altitude in far more depth than you probably want, but it also has a few DA calculators using different methods: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/density_altitude.htm

Last edited by Yondering; 12/09/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Nope. I just have a bunch of stuff memorized and I'd also have to switch a bunch of scopes. Example -- I have three 223's that I shoot (2 bolts, one AR). I know this one's up 24 (MOA) at 800, that one is up 10 at 500, one is up 6 at 400, etc. Each has a chart too, but they're almost useless at this point. About the only time I use the chart is for wind.

Throw 5-6 more rifles into the mix and that's a bunch of scope purging and a ton of time (money too!).

I typically choose one bullet for each rifle and stick with it. If I added a different cartridge to the line up and scoped it with a mil set up, it probably wouldn't bother me. I'm just using numbers anyway - not inches.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Like clockwork.

Yup...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

and then

and then

and then

And then....

Thank God I don't have to change over.
Maybe my lack of knowledge/involvement in the long range game previously, is to my advantage this time. cool

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by GregW
Like clockwork.

Yup...

grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here's a good link that explains density altitude in far more depth than you probably want, but it also has a few DA calculators using different methods: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/density_altitude.htm

Thank you, that is a better link than I've seen before. This portion (describing the definition of D-A as well as how to calculate it) bears further study:

Using the numerical values of the ISA constants, that expression may be evaluated as:

[Linked Image]

where H = geopotential altitude, km
D = air density, kg/m3

Now that H is known as a function of D, it is easy to solve for the Density Altitude of any specified air density.

It is interesting to note that equations 9, 10 and 11 could also be evaluated to find H as a function of P as follows:

[Linked Image]

where H = geopotential altitude, km
P = actual air pressure, Pascals

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For sure. This part is especially helpful with uber long shots!. grin

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you for the time and effort that you put into this post, it is probably one of the best and most informative posts I have seen on the optics forum. I saw someone posted something childish as many often do however history never built a statue for a critic. Very good post!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For sure. This part is especially helpful with uber long shots!. grin

[Linked Image]

pv=nRT baby!

grin

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome thread thanks so much.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Nope. I just have a bunch of stuff memorized and I'd also have to switch a bunch of scopes. Example -- I have three 223's that I shoot (2 bolts, one AR). I know this one's up 24 (MOA) at 800, that one is up 10 at 500, one is up 6 at 400, etc. Each has a chart too, but they're almost useless at this point. About the only time I use the chart is for wind.

Throw 5-6 more rifles into the mix and that's a bunch of scope purging and a ton of time (money too!).

I typically choose one bullet for each rifle and stick with it. If I added a different cartridge to the line up and scoped it with a mil set up, it probably wouldn't bother me. I'm just using numbers anyway - not inches.

If you are "just using numbers" for your come-ups, then you wouldn't have any trouble switching to a mil scope. The large advantage you would gain is if your reticle is in mils along with your turrets. Then you can cross-reference the two precisely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Milliradian, minute of angle. Both units of angular dimension. Same-same.

Use the convention you are familiar with.

Thanks for the post Form.

GOA
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TooDogs
Milliradian, minute of angle. Both units of angular dimension. Same-same.

Use the convention you are familiar with.

Thanks for the post Form.

Yes. But do so with a reticle that has marks that relate directly to clicks. Being able to measure with the reticle and quickly know exactly how many clicks to adjust is a beautiful thing. No guesswork involved.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of this stuff is Vudoo.

Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Google it. Hint.

Just more Safe Queen Fluff.

Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

30 MOA rail and 40 MOA Horn's coughed up 39.1 Mils on a 6x MQ erector,on the far side of it's 50yd zero. Weather ain't been any too nice and haven't shot it much past the 600yd line...as I'm awaiting 700yd weather.

Don't "forget",that EVERYTHING below fhuqking zero,is 100% fhuqking USELESS.

39.1 Mils of vudoo Splendor RINK

Have a smidge of ammo for it,in a Lot of repute.

[Linked Image]

Only 17.8 Mils to the 400 in the day's atmospherics and luckily there was NO wind,current,corriolis or spin drift to contend.

Laughing!

I swear it's ALL Vudoo RINK one

I swear it's ALL Vudoo RINK two

Though admittedly,I've seen a FFP Milscale Spotter be "handy". Never been tough to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

Hint.

The Bart' spout thinks it's a fhuqking Annie to boot........................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Like clock work...........

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Like clock work...........

Yup...

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well stick was his usual helpful self.

Did you notice all the cool stuff still in packages? Wow

And we should all be impressed cuz we would have to take out a loan for the scope caps! woohoo wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by irfubar
Well stick was his usual helpful self.

Did you notice all the cool stuff still in packages? Wow

And we should all be impressed cuz we would have to take out a loan for the scope caps! woohoo wink

Pretty sure these are multi person orders, than takes a few pics before dispersing the product.......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Like clockwork.

I thought the same thing. Now we need the third to complete the circle jerk....so funny and oh soooo predictable.

Oops. Didn't realize the third had surfaced....this will continue to be a great and ent training read.

Last edited by d500lnn; 12/18/17.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does anyone know if the SWFA scopes are military surplus ?..If so that would xplain why they are well made...Thanks for any info

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They're not military surplus.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag..

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Form, thanks for an excellent post. Your willingness to share reflects the best of this forum!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These Form tutorials are incredibly useful. I wish we could create a sticky where he can deposit all of them.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Formidilosus, Thank you, sir, for your time and patience to bring this to us.

Jordan, thank you, also, for your input.

We all have to start somewhere and at this later stage in my life I'm starting to understand MIL vs. MOA. I think I like MIL a whole lot more. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[spoiler][/spoiler]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Correct.

Correction on "Correction Factor"

What is "Elevation Correction" and "Wind Correction" in the firearm profile?
This is used to correct for scope turret clicks that aren't quite what they say they are. For example, if you've come to realize your .25MOA per-click scope is actually .23MOA per-click then you'd put a correction factor of 1.08695652 (.25/.23) because you actually need to adjust more as you aren't quite getting a full quarter MOA per click. An asterisk (*) will be placed next to the angular unit when using these inputs to denote that the given value is corrected. Inaccurate click adjustments are more common than you may think. Don't take this for granted.

Perry
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tag. Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by spud06

Correct.

Correction on "Correction Factor"

What is "Elevation Correction" and "Wind Correction" in the firearm profile?
This is used to correct for scope turret clicks that aren't quite what they say they are. For example, if you've come to realize your .25MOA per-click scope is actually .23MOA per-click then you'd put a correction factor of 1.08695652 (.25/.23) because you actually need to adjust more as you aren't quite getting a full quarter MOA per click. An asterisk (*) will be placed next to the angular unit when using these inputs to denote that the given value is corrected. Inaccurate click adjustments are more common than you may think. Don't take this for granted.

Nothing is absolute, wind, temp, chamber temp, cloud cover, angle. You can calculate all the variables you want, but get one thing wrong and your off target. Few scopes track 100%. Calculate, shoot, correct. The more you shoot the better you get, but no one gets its right all the time, I’m happy if I get it right some of the time. Turrets are fun, but they are only part of the game. There is always something to humble you.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bump to make this a sticky again. This was valuable information.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Great post , thank you Form.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tag. This one's too good to lose.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tag

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Tag

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, please sticky

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
tag

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When I go turrets it will be with MILs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Get back up there!

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sticky it. Why not?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tag

“Lighten up Francis”
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I sent Rick a PM a long time ago requesting that this be made a sticky but got no response.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Sycamore

pv=nRT baby!

grin

Avacado's number is in there somewhere . . . grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This should be stickier than the spout on a bottle of honey.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It was a sticky here for a considerable time, someone took it down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I came back to this thread as I recalled there was some information I wanted on atmospheric stuff contained herein. In re-reading it I was reminded of what is good about this forum AND what is total crap about this forum. It's too bad that we have people who feel the need to crap on every doorstep they see. Holy Crap!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Tag and Thank You

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tagged for me...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Btt

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When those that proclaim to know it all get their wheaties pissed in. By someone that forgot more then they know. They get red ass. LMAO!!!!

Take care, Willie

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just Book Marked this so I could review it anytime. Great post!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
He is always helpful. Only the Internet retards struggle with his knowledge .

Take care, Willie

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wdenike

Take care, Willie

Ha ha right?

But when you consider the average gun guy thinks the bullet rises after it leaves the muzzle kinda puts things in perspective... wink

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Take care, Willie

Ha ha right?

But when you consider the average gun guy thinks the bullet rises after it leaves the muzzle kinda puts things in perspective... wink

You mean the retards that missed the class on gravity?

Take care, Willie

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm the guy who makes the zero stops for SWFA scopes. I thought I'd post up here to make myself available if anyone has questions regarding their use. Seems like the right thread...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Take care, Willie

Ha ha right?

Take care, Willie

You two geniuses think a bullet doesn't rise after it leaves a barrel?

Please explain how a bullet reaches a target hundreds of yards down range w/o ever rising above the line of sight?

Are you under some delusion that a projectile traveling 3000fps can't counteract the force of gravity for a period of time?

David

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tim_K
I'm the guy who makes the zero stops for SWFA scopes. I thought I'd post up here to make myself available if anyone has questions regarding their use. Seems like the right thread...

Thanks for coming over Tim, good to see you here.

I think you should approach Rick about getting you a “Sticky” thread at the top of this page. List your kits with prices, payment instructions etc for easy access.

Just a suggestion. I have your zero stop kits in 5-6 SWFAs and they all do what they should.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Take care, Willie

Ha ha right?

Take care, Willie

Please explain how a bullet reaches a target hundreds of yards down range w/o ever rising above the line of sight?

Are you under some delusion that a projectile traveling 3000fps can't counteract the force of gravity for a period of time?

David

All depends on perspective. Axis of the bore, or line of sight.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Take care, Willie

Ha ha right?

Take care, Willie

David

Frame of reference matters, so to clarify, the angle between the bullet trajectory and the earth upon exiting the muzzle does not increase, and starts to decrease the moment the bullet leaves the gun. The projectile does not counteract the force of gravity, and begins falling the instant it is no longer being supported by the barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Take care, Willie

Ha ha right?

Take care, Willie

David

Let's hope for David's sake he simply forgot the smiley face.... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Take care, Willie

Ha ha right?

Take care, Willie

David

Let's hope for David's sake he simply forgot the smiley face.... wink

David is probably just too exhausted from teaching metallurgy to MCH, and forgot his 😬

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Frame of reference matters, so to clarify, the angle between the bullet trajectory and the earth upon exiting the muzzle does not increase, and starts to decrease the moment the bullet leaves the gun. .

I never stated that the angle between bullet trajectory and the earth upon exiting the muzzle increased, and agree that in almost every case it starts to decrease the moment the bullet leaves the gun.

As you said, frame of reference matters - Your average Joe describing ballistics isn't visualizing a line of bore - they're using the only reference they have, line of sight.

The projectile does not counteract the force of gravity, and begins falling the instant it is no longer being supported by the barrel.

A projectile launched at a horizontal target with an upward trajectory from the line of bore relative to the line of sight absolutely does NOT begin falling the instant it leaves the bore. It begins falling the instant it leaves barrel relative to the line of bore (again frame of reference). But relative to the only things that you can actually see when squeeze the trigger - the line of sight and terra firma, the bullet does indeed rise for a brief period of time.

Being subject to the force of gravity does not equal falling. I am subject to the force of gravity right now - I'm not falling. When I get in my plane next week for my scheduled trip, I will be subject to the force of gravity, but I will in fact rise as I begin that journey (for a significant period of time I hope!) Because the bullet is no longer accelerating when it leaves the muzzle, the upward force counteracting gravity is quickly overwhelmed, and the force of gravity accelerates it's return to earth. But the energy of the bullet imparted to an upward trajectory does in fact counteract the force of gravity for a brief period of time.

Pretend I've got a target paper (no backstop) placed at 1000 yards exactly 4 feet off the ground. I fire a rifle perfectly sighted in to be dead on at 1000 yards from that rifle that has the end of the muzzle precisely 4 feet off the ground while simultaneously dropping a bullet from exactly 4' in elevation immediately next to the muzzle - which bullet hits the ground first?

Please don't tell me that you believe they will hit at the exact same time, because they won't. The bullet dropped from the hand will hit significantly sooner than the bullet fired at the 1000 yard target. The difference in impact times can only be because a force (a portion of the bullet's initial velocity) was utilized to counteract the force of gravity (briefly).

If it helps you or anyone else purely to describe ballistics from the reference point of line of bore, I have no issue with it. To jump up and down and tell someone that bullets don't rise when people stating such are clearly referencing light of sight is silly and disingenuous.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

A projectile launched at a horizontal target with an upward trajectory from the line of bore relative to the line of sight absolutely does NOT begin falling the instant it leaves the bore. It begins falling the instant it leaves barrel relative to the line of bore (again frame of reference). But relative to the only things that you can actually see when squeeze the trigger - the line of sight and terra firma, the bullet does indeed rise for a brief period of time.

No problem here. I should have said "accelerating downward". The statement I made is true in the case of a horizontal barrel.

Being subject to the force of gravity does not equal falling. I am subject to the force of gravity right now - I'm not falling. When I get in my plane next week for my scheduled trip, I will be subject to the force of gravity, but I will in fact rise as I begin that journey (for a significant period of time I hope!) Because the bullet is no longer accelerating when it leaves the muzzle, the upward force counteracting gravity is quickly overwhelmed, and the force of gravity accelerates it's return to earth. But the energy of the bullet imparted to an upward trajectory does in fact counteract the force of gravity for a brief period of time.

Pretend I've got a target paper (no backstop) placed at 1000 yards exactly 4 feet off the ground. I fire a rifle perfectly sighted in to be dead on at 1000 yards from that rifle that has the end of the muzzle precisely 4 feet off the ground while simultaneously dropping a bullet from exactly 4' in elevation immediately next to the muzzle - which bullet hits the ground first?

Please don't tell me that you believe they will hit at the exact same time, because they won't. The bullet dropped from the hand will hit significantly sooner than the bullet fired at the 1000 yard target. The difference in impact times can only be because a force (a portion of the bullet's initial velocity) was utilized to counteract the force of gravity (briefly).

David,

With all due respect, that's not how physics works. The direction of acceleration is a function of the net force on an object, not just a single, specific force. I specifically said that the bullet begins falling once it is no longer supported by the barrel because at that point gravity is the only force acting on the bullet. The reason that you are not falling right now is that gravity is not the only force acting on your body. The normal force from the chair or the floor is exactly equal and opposite the force of gravity. But I can see why the word "falling" causes confusion. As you said, the bullet does begin falling (ie, it has a downward velocity vector) from the axis of the bore the moment it leaves the barrel, but not necessarily relative to the axis of the LOS. Perhaps a more precise statement would be that the bullet begins accelerating downward towards the earth the moment the force of gravity is the only force acting on it along the vertical axis (aka when it leaves the muzzle). This is true relative to both the LOS and the axis of the bore.

When the bullet leaves the muzzle, there is no upward force at play (assuming no aerodynamic jump, etc) to counteract gravity. There is also no energy imparted to an upward trajectory. I think what you are trying to describe is the difference between velocity and acceleration. Assuming a positive angle between the axis of the bore and the surface of the earth, as you've described, when the bullet leaves the muzzle it has an initial velocity. We can break this velocity into two vector components, a vertical component and a horizontal component. We are only concerned with the vertical component in this discussion. The bullet has an initial velocity with a positive/upward vertical component. The net force on the bullet is simply the force of gravity, which results in an immediate downward acceleration as soon as the bullet leave the muzzle. This downward acceleration immediately begins to decrease the magnitude of the upward velocity, and eventually the magnitude of the vertical velocity vector reaches zero and then becomes a downward velocity vector. This is the exact same principle as if you were to throw a ball straight up in the air, and then catch it again. The ball starts with an upward velocity, but begins accelerating downward the moment it leaves your hand. It eventually has a velocity magnitude of zero (the turning point) and starts to fall back down toward your hand.

In your example above, the bullet fired at the 1000 yard target hits the ground after the bullet dropped from the hand, not because the bullet fired from the rifle has some force acting on it as a part of its initial velocity, but because it is given an initial velocity with a positive vertical component, while the bullet dropped from the hand is not. It's just like comparing the drop times of a ball that you throw straight up and allow to hit the ground, versus one that you drop straight down from your hand and allow to hit the floor. It's obvious that the ball thrown upward will hit the ground after the ball dropped from your hand directly.

If it helps you or anyone else purely to describe ballistics from the reference point of line of bore, I have no issue with it. To jump up and down and tell someone that bullets don't rise when people stating such are clearly referencing light of sight is silly and disingenuous.

David

I can readily describe the ballistics of a bullet from whichever reference frame you like, so it doesn't matter to me, but the reason that guys are quick to correct the statement that "bullets rise when they leave the bore" is that many people are confused by such statements, and believe that the bullet rises relative to the axis of the bore after leaving the muzzle. This is a myth that has been perpetuated for decades. Clearly you are not under that misconception, but many are.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

David,

With all due respect, that's not how physics works. The direction of acceleration is a function of the net force on an object, not just a single, specific force. I specifically said that the bullet begins falling once it is no longer supported by the barrel because at that point gravity is the only force acting on the bullet. The reason that you are not falling right now is that gravity is not the only force acting on your body. The normal force from the chair or the floor is exactly equal and opposite the force of gravity. But I can see why the word "falling" causes confusion. As you said, the bullet does begin falling (ie, it has a downward velocity vector) from the axis of the bore the moment it leaves the barrel, but not necessarily relative to the axis of the LOS. Perhaps a more precise statement would be that the bullet begins accelerating downward towards the earth the moment the force of gravity is the only force acting on it along the vertical axis (aka when it leaves the muzzle). This is true relative to both the LOS and the axis of the bore.

Jordan,

With all due respect, that is precisely how physics works. I am not confused by the word falling - to descend freely by the force of gravity.

If a body is not descending it is not falling (it is still subject to the force of gravity).

Your statement that the bullet is falling because it is no longer supported by the barrel and gravity is the only force working on it is incorrect - it's not falling if it's not descending.

I agree, a more precise statement would be that the bullet begins accelerating downward towards the earth the moment the force of gravity is the only force acting on it. The bullet is still rising in that instant, not falling.

When I have discussed ballistics with fellow hunters I haven't experienced any that believe there is some mystery force making the bullet rise - I have experienced quite a few that are annoyed with people attempting to condescendingly tell them bullets don't rise (I'm not referencing you) when they clearly do.

David

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Damn...you two gotta stop.

Headache!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Confuscious once said "only a rising bullet has been fired upwards".

Last edited by Musicianized; 01/16/20.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

David,

Jordan,

With all due respect, that is precisely how physics works.

I'm sorry, but it's not. There is no force counteracting gravity when the bullet leaves the muzzle (again, neglecting more advanced aerodynamic factors like aerodynamic jump, etc). There is no energy imparted in the upward trajectory that counteracts gravity. Energy is a scalar quantity without direction, and it certainly can't be added to forces to obtain a net effect using vector addition. The results you're describing are correct, but the physical concepts you're using are not.

I am not confused by the word falling - to descend freely by the force of gravity.

If a body is not descending it is not falling (it is still subject to the force of gravity).

Your statement that the bullet is falling because it is no longer supported by the barrel and gravity is the only force working on it is incorrect - it's not falling if it's not descending.

As I said, my statement about the bullet falling the moment it leaves the barrel is true in the case of a horizontal barrel; a specific case. I used that case to illustrate the point that the bullet does not somehow rise relative to the bore because it is going so fast that is skips up on the air like a water-ski skipping up out of the water when the boat starts pulling (I have come across this misunderstanding multiple times, typically with older hunters). The statement about the bullet accelerating downward applies to the general case, regardless of which direction the barrel is pointing.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joshf303
Damn...you two gotta stop.

Headache!

Sorry, buddy. I'm a physicist. This is what I do all day. grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I'm sorry, but it's not. There is no force counteracting gravity when the bullet leaves the muzzle (again, neglecting more advanced aerodynamic factors like aerodynamic jump, etc). There is no energy imparted in the upward trajectory that counteracts gravity. Energy is a scalar quantity without direction, and it certainly can't be added to forces to obtain a net effect using vector addition. The results you're describing are correct, but the physical concepts you're using are not.

Jordan

I had to go back through my earlier statements and realized I did state the bullet has an upward force, which is incorrect. The bullet has momentum, which is a vectored quantity possessing both mass and direction.

With regards to your statement about accelerating downward applying to the general case, regardless of which the muzzle is pointed, I agree. I was referring to my example.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
👍

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Does this mean you guys are going to have each others babies now?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I'm too old for Jordan.

David

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The bullet rising above the bore upon firing reminds me of a buddy of mine that tried to tell me his arrow is faster 20 yards downrange than it is right out of the bow due to archers paradox... lol

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I've already got all I can handle. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

That's gross.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jordan,

You are a patient individual. And quite often helpful, just as Form. For a while there I didn't know if there was a prayer of this ending well. I am not a genius, however I do engage my brain before my mouth. And don't suffer fools very well.

Take care, Willie

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jordan,

You are a patient individual. And quite often helpful, just as Form. For a while there I didn't know if there was a prayer of this ending well. I am not a genius, however I do engage my brain before my mouth. And don't suffer fools very well.

Take care, Willie

You think Jordan said you were right?

Bless your heart.

David

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Did y'all just become best friends?.........

"So much room for activities"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think there's a good lesson here. Between Jordan and David's discussion, I have a little better understanding of how to explain trajectory to someone who doesn't understand what their bullet is doing when it leaves the muzzle.

When someone uses the word "rise", they may not have in mind what I do. I'll better most people understand the curve of the trajectory better than they do the relationship between barrel and scope.

But then again, there's a few guys I know who have 7mags that shoot "flat out to 500 yards", grin.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Jordan

I had to go back through my earlier statements and realized I did state the bullet has an upward force, which is incorrect. The bullet has momentum, which is a vectored quantity possessing both mass and direction.

With regards to your statement about accelerating downward applying to the general case, regardless of which the muzzle is pointed, I agree. I was referring to my example.

David

One more thing to clarify, just so nobody is confused, a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, not mass and direction. Momentum is a function of mass and velocity, but that functional relationship is not necessarily related to momentum being a vector quantity.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Btt

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.