Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

I’ll be honest I wasn't looking forward to reviewing Athlon optics. I’m an optics snob and all my rifles sport Vortex Razors, AMG, Nightforce NSX, Swarovski and Zeiss. I just believe you get what you pay for. Doug asked me to review two Athlon scopes for him. (Argos 6-24x50, Talos 4-14x44) Last weekend I mounted both of these up to my 6MMBR. This is my most proven rifle. Over the summer I shot a 5 shot group at 600 yards that was 1.5 inches. Yeah I don’t believe it myself. Gotta love Bartlein barrels!!! For testing I purchased several Boxtobenchprecision targets. This allow for tracking tests on scopes as well as load development. You have the ability to run a scope up 7.5 mils.

First off, I’m a huge fan of first focal plane optics. I was in a rush and never bore sighted either of these scopes. Each scope took only 3 shots to get zeroed. (Nightforce rings help, use good rings!!) Nothing like having the turrets match the reticle. I started off at 100 yards to test the tracking first. I ran both scopes up to match the spots of the targets. First was 1.5 mils and the last was 7.5 mils. For a total of 5 points of impact. Once I reached 7.5 mils and cranked them back down to my initial zero. To my surprise it worked. Next I conducted a box test with the same results. Clarity means nothing if a scope won't track. With my tracking concerns out of the way I moved on to the features. The turrets are very positive and have a nice audible sound. The parallax and power rings are very tight but I imagine they will loosen over time. One thing about the parallax that I really like is that they focus down to 10 yards. I shoot a lot of small bore and air rifle. Most scopes can’t focus close and its very limiting. At work we have a 23 yard range. It makes shooting with most scopes tough. My career is as firearms examiner for a major city. At my local range we can shoot out to 200 yards. I was able to decern 6mm bullet holes at 100 and 200 yards with the 24x Argos. With the Talos being 14x it wasn't possible past 100 yards. The Mil reticle is perfect its not overly busy. So many scopes have too much going on and you get lost. Both optics have lit reticles but aren't bright enough for day time use. Not a issue but just like to state that fact. With each scope I shot approx 50 rounds from 100 to 200 yards.

I don't want to get into comparing these scopes to others on the market or get into resolution charts ect. For the price your getting the best bang for your buck. I don't know of any scopes in this price range with all these features. Every company has to start from somewhere. I truly believe we will be seeing a lot more from them in the near future. I remember when Vortex was new to the market just look at them now. Over the next few months Ill get more time behind them to get more input. My next range trip will be my other club that I can shoot out to 700 yards. I plan on really putting them though the paces there. No drop test like the other guys on the forums. They are too subjective and I love my rifles too much to hurt them. I do all my own paint work so it would kill me. As many of you guys know Doug and the guys over at Cameraland are stand up guys. I've known Doug for maybe 18 years now. He keeps bringing excellent pricing and new products for us. I think this is a great addition to his inventory. Having his store so close to my house is good and bad. I walked in a few times to say hi and walked out with new toys. Last purchase was the Lecia Geovid deal he got us. I need to do some more overtime to make up for my Optics addiction.

Testing Procedure

Before I conducted my test I confirmed the scope was mounted level to the rifle and also made sure the rings are perfectly aligned using a 30mm scope lapping bar. Next the target was leveled so I knew that the scopes would tract perfectly level as well. Too many guys overlook small steps like this. Once everything was good I torqued the scope ring capped and crossbolts. I used a Nightforce base and 30mm rings. So to test the scopes I started with a 100 yards zero. Using Box To Bench Precision targets I cranked the scopes up to various MILS. (1.5,3, 4.5, 6, 7.5) and took shots at each spot. The tracking worked perfect. Next I went down 7.5 MILS to my 100 yard zero. Next I conducted a box test on an 18 inch square. The final outcome was shots placed perfectly in the original point of aim. For an impact test I dropped the butt of the rifle on the concrete 6x from a height of 6 inches. Same results no POI shift. Im not beating on my rifle or the optic beyond that like guys did for the Tract optic test. Like I stated earlier for its price Athlon makes some great budget scopes. Today Im getting a Benjamin Maunder to mount it to. Ill do some small game hunting with it and get some further testing done. Patiently awaiting FED EX now!!!!

PROS: Loaded with features
Price
Warranty
They work!

CONS: Honestly my only complaint is the stiff power and parallax rings

PS: keep in mind the winds were brutal the day of testing. 20-25 mph so some shots were slightly off. The small group target was done later when the winds died down.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/kcSC7eW.jpg[/img]

Last edited by bhoges; 11/30/17.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for taking the time to do this test Brian. I am sure the members here will find it enlightening

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wonder how they would hold up to recoil?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats what I'm wondering. Doug, do these have any kind of recoil testing done on them? Curious of the durability. Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just read the description on your site. They seem to be pretty stout. They do have a recoil rating.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know it's no issue on a 50 cal as my rep at Athlon has used it on one.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
All the 50s I have shot have big effective muzzle brakes on them. Not sure how hard a 50 is on a scope as I have never owned one. I am hoping someone has some real world experience with a 300 mag or similar.

NRA Benefactor Member

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Guys remember this cost. These are budget scope don't compare them to Nightforce or a Vortex Razor. That whole test with Tract Optics wasn't something any scope would hold up too.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No, but any scope should be able to hold up to recoil. Better scopes should have more features and better "glass".

NRA Benefactor Member

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bhoges
Guys remember this cost. These are budget scope don't compare them to Nightforce or a Vortex Razor. That whole test with Tract Optics wasn't something any scope would hold up too.

Not true in the slightest. There are several scopes that hold up to thy and a whole lot more.

The first requirement of a scope is fornit to stay zeroed, the second is for it to function and adjust correctly. Features mean nothing.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
All the 50s I have shot have big effective muzzle brakes on them. Not sure how hard a 50 is on a scope as I have never owned one. I am hoping someone has some real world experience with a 300 mag or similar.

I'd be game to wring one out, but it looks like most of their scope offerings are more than I like to wrestle with. Gimme a 3-9 with a simple ballistic plex, or better yet a fixed 4x or 6x. Any more, it seems like scopes have to be 30mm tubes with more gadgets than a vehicle in a Dr. Seuss book.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about a simple Argos 2-10x40 - BDC 600 that would cost under $250.00? Also available in a basic Plex version

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
How about a simple Argos 2-10x40 - BDC 600 that would cost under $250.00? Also available in a basic Plex version

It's hard to buy a scope without comparing it with something I know. How is the glass in these Athlon scopes? Would the glass in the Athlon Argos 2-10x40 compare to what Leupold? VX1, VX2, VX3, OR say a Redfield Revolution?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remington280
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

It's hard to buy a scope without comparing it with something I know. How is the glass in these Athlon scopes? Would the glass in the Athlon Argos 2-10x40 compare to what Leupold? VX1, VX2, VX3, OR say a Redfield Revolution?

I would say along the lines of a VX-3 or a Vortex Viper series. Superior to a Redfield
If you buy one and check it out and do not like it we would take it back. Would not want you to have something you are not pleased with. We understand a majority of our clients do not have access to check out products first hand. No worries

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thought this review should be brought back up. A great couple of scopes both under $400.00

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I purchased a 2-10x40mm and sighted it in yesterday on my Howa 1500 in 223. everything worked as expected and it is very clear, I'm a coyote caller and just love having nearly 50" of FOV on the bottom end and 10x on the top. I selected the duplex as I rarely need to shoot at a coyote over 300 yards and most are in the 10 to 50 yard distance, I usually shoot 1-4 and 1.5-6 scopes on my calling guns. I think I'm going to like this one for more open country, I've been using Elite 4200 2.5-10 scopes and I like this one more.

My grandson liked the scope so much here ordered an Argos 3-15x40 BDC for his AR, mostly will be used on PD's and open country coyotes(SW CO). I;m heading out in the morning for a little coyote hunting whlie I'm here visiting him for T-day.

Thanks Doug

Last edited by erich; 11/24/18.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Midas Tac, 6-24. The first one that I got, was sent back to Athlon, as it did not hold zero. The replacement has so far been good. I don't do a lot of dialing, but I used it to 530 yards a couple days ago and it appears to be spot on. The glass is plenty good, in my opinion and it seems to focus easily. The dial has a very positive click to it and it also has a great zero stop. This is not a "cheap" scope and so should perform well.

The scope is mounted on a heavy .260, so is not getting recoil tested too much. I used it to kill three deer this fall, without a hitch.

Time will tell, as to whether I will ever buy another one, but so far this one is decent.

The only fault that I have with it, is that there is a fine dot in the middle, instead of solid cross hair. My eyes don't do well with the dot, but I was still able to shoot a few rounds into 3/4-inch at 300 yards with it yesterday!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do like the scope,

We got down in the cottonwood bottoms and I called in a triple killed one coyote on 2x at 40 yards but it was too thick to get on another. It was just a small area so we went up to the ranch house and there were a couple P-dog out in the pasture and one just had his head sticking up over the mound, I turned it up to 10x and wacked him in the head at 156 yards. I tried for another at 186 but the wind pushed the little 45's just a hair to the left.

Fun morning, and a great little scope.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bhoges

I’ll be honest I wasn't looking forward to reviewing Athlon optics. I’m an optics snob and all my rifles sport Vortex Razors, AMG, Nightforce NSX, Swarovski and Zeiss. I just believe you get what you pay for. Doug asked me to review two Athlon scopes for him. (Argos 6-24x50, Talos 4-14x44) Last weekend I mounted both of these up to my 6MMBR. This is my most proven rifle. Over the summer I shot a 5 shot group at 600 yards that was 1.5 inches. Yeah I don’t believe it myself. Gotta love Bartlein barrels!!! For testing I purchased several Boxtobenchprecision targets. This allow for tracking tests on scopes as well as load development. You have the ability to run a scope up 7.5 mils.

First off, I’m a huge fan of first focal plane optics. I was in a rush and never bore sighted either of these scopes. Each scope took only 3 shots to get zeroed. (Nightforce rings help, use good rings!!) Nothing like having the turrets match the reticle. I started off at 100 yards to test the tracking first. I ran both scopes up to match the spots of the targets. First was 1.5 mils and the last was 7.5 mils. For a total of 5 points of impact. Once I reached 7.5 mils and cranked them back down to my initial zero. To my surprise it worked. Next I conducted a box test with the same results. Clarity means nothing if a scope won't track. With my tracking concerns out of the way I moved on to the features. The turrets are very positive and have a nice audible sound. The parallax and power rings are very tight but I imagine they will loosen over time. One thing about the parallax that I really like is that they focus down to 10 yards. I shoot a lot of small bore and air rifle. Most scopes can’t focus close and its very limiting. At work we have a 23 yard range. It makes shooting with most scopes tough. My career is as firearms examiner for a major city. At my local range we can shoot out to 200 yards. I was able to decern 6mm bullet holes at 100 and 200 yards with the 24x Argos. With the Talos being 14x it wasn't possible past 100 yards. The Mil reticle is perfect its not overly busy. So many scopes have too much going on and you get lost. Both optics have lit reticles but aren't bright enough for day time use. Not a issue but just like to state that fact. With each scope I shot approx 50 rounds from 100 to 200 yards.

I don't want to get into comparing these scopes to others on the market or get into resolution charts ect. For the price your getting the best bang for your buck. I don't know of any scopes in this price range with all these features. Every company has to start from somewhere. I truly believe we will be seeing a lot more from them in the near future. I remember when Vortex was new to the market just look at them now. Over the next few months Ill get more time behind them to get more input. My next range trip will be my other club that I can shoot out to 700 yards. I plan on really putting them though the paces there. No drop test like the other guys on the forums. They are too subjective and I love my rifles too much to hurt them. I do all my own paint work so it would kill me. As many of you guys know Doug and the guys over at Cameraland are stand up guys. I've known Doug for maybe 18 years now. He keeps bringing excellent pricing and new products for us. I think this is a great addition to his inventory. Having his store so close to my house is good and bad. I walked in a few times to say hi and walked out with new toys. Last purchase was the Lecia Geovid deal he got us. I need to do some more overtime to make up for my Optics addiction.

Testing Procedure

Before I conducted my test I confirmed the scope was mounted level to the rifle and also made sure the rings are perfectly aligned using a 30mm scope lapping bar. Next the target was leveled so I knew that the scopes would tract perfectly level as well. Too many guys overlook small steps like this. Once everything was good I torqued the scope ring capped and crossbolts. I used a Nightforce base and 30mm rings. So to test the scopes I started with a 100 yards zero. Using Box To Bench Precision targets I cranked the scopes up to various MILS. (1.5,3, 4.5, 6, 7.5) and took shots at each spot. The tracking worked perfect. Next I went down 7.5 MILS to my 100 yard zero. Next I conducted a box test on an 18 inch square. The final outcome was shots placed perfectly in the original point of aim. For an impact test I dropped the butt of the rifle on the concrete 6x from a height of 6 inches. Same results no POI shift. Im not beating on my rifle or the optic beyond that like guys did for the Tract optic test. Like I stated earlier for its price Athlon makes some great budget scopes. Today Im getting a Benjamin Maunder to mount it to. Ill do some small game hunting with it and get some further testing done. Patiently awaiting FED EX now!!!!

PROS: Loaded with features
Price
Warranty
They work!

CONS: Honestly my only complaint is the stiff power and parallax rings

PS: keep in mind the winds were brutal the day of testing. 20-25 mph so some shots were slightly off. The small group target was done later when the winds died down.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/kcSC7eW.jpg[/img]

I love the left-hand rifle! You said that you were going to put one on an air rifle. Are they air gun rated, like Hawke is?

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I did test it on my Benjamin Marauder. Its a PCP so I doubt there is any issues thats more for the spring piston air guns. I have a Cronus BTR 4.5x29 mounted on my 308 Im currently testing. I hope to have the review done next weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 686 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.