Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve used gallons of thickened West Systems for bedding and switched to grey MarineTex a few years ago for anything that didn’t need to be dyed or clear. I just find it less messy and no need to dye it black like I normally did for synthetics. Never was a big Accraglas fan, been so long since I’ve used any I can’t recall why though I’m sure I had a good reason.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve used gallons of thickened West Systems for bedding and switched to grey MarineTex a few years ago for anything that didn’t need to be dyed or clear. I just find it less messy and no need to dye it black like I normally did for synthetics. Never was a big Accraglas fan, been so long since I’ve used any I can’t recall why though I’m sure I had a good reason.

The clean-up after Accraglass is always worse... it was what I used for a very long time and really liked it better when I got away from it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My only complaint with Acraglass is the gel has too much fiber and will pull away from the action if you cut it off too soon. I mix half regular and half gel or just add my own thickeners to get the consistency I want. Accraglass is not as tough as some of the others but I have had no issues except for cold weather causing the hardening process to take weeks. If you want it tougher add steel or aluminum filings. I also add Kevlar and/or graphite powder and fibers if I have any and not much sanding will be involved.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Can RIT powdered clothing dye in black be used to darken JB weld, or other grayish epoxies?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
Can RIT powdered clothing dye in black be used to darken JB weld, or other grayish epoxies?

Possibly, but may not be very light stable... especially when a little candle soot will give a very nice black, cheaply and easily, while making the epoxy stronger and harder.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may find this interesting from the people who formulate and sell epoxy. West Systems They have a lot of helpful articles online. A little pigment goes a long way.

Personally I use artist acrylics which I have on hand for other purposes. It takes so little to color epoxy I don't worry about it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Possibly, but may not be very light stable... especially when a little candle soot will give a very nice black, cheaply and easily, while making the epoxy stronger and harder.

Hey Art, any idea if powdered graphite would add any positive properties to the mix?

Last edited by m_stevenson; 12/20/17.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Hey Art, any idea if powdered graphite would add any positive properties to the mix?

Graphite will make epoxy harder and stronger. It is just carbon in one of it's natural forms.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have used plenty of Accraglas both liquid and gel, Marine Tex, and I use Brownells Steel Bed almost exclusively now. I just have better luck with it in the long run.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
All these epoxies have a solid added to them to increase compressive strength and other characteristics. Stainless powder, iron powder, rock powder, silicon, aluminum, etc......
Used to be you could look at the MSDS and see but the new SDS’s seem to lack that detail.

Steelbed uses stainless in proportion to add good compressive strength.
Marine Tex was rock powder and or silicon depending on model. Resistance to corosion??
A lot of them use aluminum. Less compressive strength than steels.

3m makes a stainless epoxy. Might be good.

Steel bed is formulated for the job, the others are formulated for other jobs. They may or may not have the desired properties.

Rick
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Does the same release agent work on all of these different epoxies? I am about to try my first recoil lug and was going to use Marine Tex.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use Brownell's Accra Release with their steel bed. Works just fine.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Warming the hardener will take out the clumps but you need to allow it to cool before use..

I prefer gray MarineTex.

I tried the heat gun (slowly) on the Devcon hardener I had left, and it did indeed make it closer to the original consistency. Good tip. But when this stuff is gone, I'm switching to MarineTex.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JPro
Warming the hardener will take out the clumps but you need to allow it to cool before use..

I prefer gray MarineTex.

I tried the heat gun (slowly) on the Devcon hardener I had left, and it did indeed make it closer to the original consistency. Good tip. But when this stuff is gone, I'm switching to MarineTex.

There are few manufacturers but many brands and formulas. Epoxies are used for an incredible array of tasks and many will do a fine job as bedding. There are far more important things to worry about during a bedding job.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
An industry rep made a quip when addressing our shop once, to the effect that all the epoxy resins in this country come out of one spigot so to speak, that it's the proprietary hardeners that spell the difference in brands.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
An industry rep made a quip when addressing our shop once, to the effect that all the epoxy resins in this country come out of one spigot so to speak, that it's the proprietary hardeners that spell the difference in brands.

The only thing that has changed are a few ownership differences and a few new suppliers/brands.

What happens regularly is a large user specs out a particular formula and then sells some of it to keep down the cost for their use. Buying in bulk is cheaper...

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Well I finally got the guts to bed the recoil lug on my Kimber Hunter this morning with Marinetex. Its all set up and I screwed in the 2 action screws hand tight just snugged down good.

My question is how many hours until I start to disassemble?

Should I just leave the action screws in until tomorrow morning as is?

Take the actions screws out after 4 to 5 hours and remove any excess material and then reassemble?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[align:center][/align]If your bedding was bad before, and it was bending your action, tightening the screws just allowed you to build bedding that bends your action. You need the screws loose, and some other way to loosely clamp the action in the stock. Surgical tubing works well. Too late too worry now. When it is set, check to see if it is ok. Very well may be fine.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 01/07/18.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yeah I read some guys tighten screws some tape or use the tubing to attach the action. Guess I hope it is good. I just tightened them an hour ago. I did tape the barrel to center it in the stock and looks like there is no contact there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntabsarokee
Well I finally got the guts to bed the recoil lug on my Kimber Hunter this morning with Marinetex. Its all set up and I screwed in the 2 action screws hand tight just snugged down good.

My question is how many hours until I start to disassemble?

Should I just leave the action screws in until tomorrow morning as is?

Take the actions screws out after 4 to 5 hours and remove any excess material and then reassemble?

Major fail... sorry to say...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 73 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.