Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
So what do you use for a ground rod? Most guys around here just drive a fence post upside down...I'm thinking a copper rod would be better but we do have a clay base soil that holds moister pretty well but this time of year the top foot or so is pretty dry...
I did buy a pemark dolor unit...the bigger one....

Around here, copper rods are scarce, but the galvanized steel rods and copper connectors seem to work about as well, so that's the way we do it.

I don't know if there would be too much resistance with a plain steel post or not. The current will flow on the outside of whatever conductor you use and zinc is right up there with lead and copper for conductivity. If you gold plate your ground rod, you won't have ANY problems with a bad ground. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've used re-bar and it rusts very easily. With that coating, it's a terrible conductor.

That's what I get for trying to ground cheaply.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Is that the reason you now try to live by your sig line? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I need three ground rods, The copper ones are easy to get here. Over the years I have had several different brands of chargers.Doesn't seem to make a difference. I am only running about 4000 feet of fence though. Poor grounding will make fellow chase lot of ghost trying to figure out the problem.
I saw an article a few years back about putting a flourescent light tube on the fence to see if it is always working. I forget now though if it was in paralell or series

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hydro One, the power company in Ontario, wants galvanized ground rods. mostly elsewhere, the copper clad are the norm. Different soils must have different grounding problems?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Hydro One, the power company in Ontario, wants galvanized ground rods. mostly elsewhere, the copper clad are the norm. Different soils must have different grounding problems?

Soil moisture seems to be the real issue. Soil acidity could cause more corrosion, affecting the current flow, but copper is still a better conductor.

The only reason I can think of them requiring galvanized ground rod is that they are steel and more likely to be able to be driven into badly compacted soil to the depth they need, rather than the copper rods, which are softer. That way, regardless of the soil density, they can be assured of the best ground possible.

Ed

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,236
Posts18,466,723
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.