Hop To
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Anyone used an Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody?

Seems to have what I'm looking for. Quick drying insulation, breathes well, though perhaps not as well as polartec alpha (so they say), DWR, wind resistant.

Edit: or the North Face Ventrix Jacket

Last edited by prm; 01/09/18.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
Anyone used an Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody?

Seems to have what I'm looking for. Quick drying insulation, breathes well, though perhaps not as well as polartec alpha (so they say), DWR, wind resistant.

Edit: or the North Face Ventrix Jacket

I've used the LT as well as the warmer Atom SV(since replaced by the Atom AR) for many years. Warm, light, fairly breathable( the LT). Other than the price, no complaints.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks 340. My impression is I would trade a little breathability for a little more warmth and wind protection if comparing the Atom LT to the Sitka Kelvin Active.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How about a Mountain Hardwear ATherm hoody? Polartec Alpha, 50D wind resistant face with DWR.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by alukban
I find the First Lite Uncomphagre so magical that I own 3 of them.

Couldn’t agree more. I wear the Uncomphagre as my walking around jacket all winter in Minnesota. With just a t-shirt under it, it’s good down into the 20’s. Moisture management is also fabulous. For the weight and size, it’s a fantastic piece of gear. Has anyone tried the pants yet?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by talentrec

Couldn’t agree more. I wear the Uncomphagre as my walking around jacket all winter in Minnesota. With just a t-shirt under it, it’s good down into the 20’s. Moisture management is also fabulous. For the weight and size, it’s a fantastic piece of gear. Has anyone tried the pants yet?

I'm interested in opinions on the pants as well.

Also wondering on the sizing. According to the size charts, I'm dead smack in the medium size range. The medium North Branch pants were huge. I'm in a small. I ordered a small Obsidian and can barely buckle them. I'm apparently going with a medium in the Obsidian.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by talentrec

I'm interested in opinions on the pants as well.

Also wondering on the sizing. According to the size charts, I'm dead smack in the medium size range. The medium North Branch pants were huge. I'm in a small. I ordered a small Obsidian and can barely buckle them. I'm apparently going with a medium in the Obsidian.

I'm curious what size you are? I just ordered some medium Northbranch pants. I had a size small pair of Kanabs and they were way too tight. I couldn't button them. I'm 5'9" about 155lbs and 31" waist. I'm wanting a little room under the north branch pants for layering.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
5ft 8" 165 lbs, 32" waist. I could wear the small Obsidian but they were a bit tight in the waist and legs.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well, the medium Northbranch pants came in today. You’re right, they’re huge. I put them on over my jeans and they are probably 4 inches too big in the waste. Looks like I’ll be exchanging them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I kinda don't look at the First Lite Uncomphagre as a "real puffy". Let me say that it is definitely NOT the "warmest puffy". For me, I want the warmest AND least bulky "puffy" that has a particular fit. It is its confluence of features that distinguishes it to me.

I look at it more as windshell with an excellent cut (hood and archer's sleeves) that happens to have some UL insulation in the correct places. It is so thin and trim, I could wear a puffy over it. The body is also cut extremely generously to fit vests underneath but it is still not too bulky.

The Uncomphagre seems to be warm in complete disproportion to its bulk (lack of). That's where its "magic" is to me.

FWIW

I agree. Not the warmest, but a good part of a layering system, easy to pack, and warm enough for me when hiking and stopping to glass in combination with a vest or additional jacket from the pack (dependant on the weather).

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A small will fit perfect. As a result of my North Branch adventure, I bought small Obsidian pants. Mistake. Mediums in Obsidian fit good.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 1Nut

I kinda don't look at the First Lite Uncomphagre as a "real puffy". Let me say that it is definitely NOT the "warmest puffy". For me, I want the warmest AND least bulky "puffy" that has a particular fit. It is its confluence of features that distinguishes it to me.

I look at it more as windshell with an excellent cut (hood and archer's sleeves) that happens to have some UL insulation in the correct places. It is so thin and trim, I could wear a puffy over it. The body is also cut extremely generously to fit vests underneath but it is still not too bulky.

The Uncomphagre seems to be warm in complete disproportion to its bulk (lack of). That's where its "magic" is to me.

FWIW

I agree. Not the warmest, but a good part of a layering system, easy to pack, and warm enough for me when hiking and stopping to glass in combination with a vest or additional jacket from the pack (dependant on the weather).

While I had doubts that the Uncomphagre was going to be "the furnace" that most claim, as soon as I got it in hand I knew that there wasn't anyway for it to be that warm. After using it, it's not. It's about like a 40* sleeping bag. Puffys are almost like scopes it seems- people don't really know what they should be expecting and looking for, and therefor they all seem great. I think it's a decent piece, but the problem for me with the Uncomphagre is that it's warmth doesn't match its weight.

Not trying to dog on anyone's favorite kit, but trying to bring some realism to those who might be reading this and thinking some of these puffys are going to be like wearing a sleeping bag and finding out that they aren't what you wear for "real" cold.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think a lot of it has to do with what a person is looking for. I got the Lost Park Anorak and for my purposes it's about as warm as I want. I do most of my backpack hunting in the early seasons so I really don't need "the warmest puffy," just one that's light, durable, and warm for it's weight.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by bwinters
I also wasn't aware Patagonia made so many good pieces - I'm gonna need to sell my truck and buy a Prius next <G>

bwinters,

I probably have as much Patagonia/Marmot/North Face clothing in my closet as Sitka/Kuiu/First Lite.

Great stuff!!!

I like my patagonia nano and OR jackets better than my umcompahgre, which is too bulky and warmth to weight ratio not so great.Decent jacket but by no means a great jacket

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Form - lets break down 'warmest puffy' into 3 categories - I'd like your thoughts. I'm personally more interested in synthetic but down is allowed to play. Lets define 'lightweight' as anything less than 24oz.

Outright warmth, weight not really a consideration
Warmest with consideration for lightweight
Warmest breathable lightweight

Thanks.

Last edited by bwinters; 01/12/18.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. Has anyone tried the KUIU Teton insulated jacket?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been avoiding this thread for days, for fear of being accused of some trait of femininity or another that I'm probably not even familiar with. Warmest puffy. Well, there it is, I said it. I don't feel good about it either. I don't feel a surge of testosterone when i say it so I'm leaving now.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Received the Kuiu Peloton 130 Crew top, Peloton 200 zip off bottoms, and Peloton 200 zip hoody.

Peloton 130 crew - don't like this material against my skin. Tried it on, had it on for 5 seconds, put it right back in the bag. Sending it back Monday.

Peloton 200 zipoffs - I like the weight of these. Think they'll be a good second/midlayer when its cold. I'm not sure how the zipper thing works if you have pants on. Somehow you'll have to take off your pants to get the midlayer on/off. I'll need to investigate a bit. They are also shorter to accommodate boots and the 'easy' on/off thing. I'll likely keep these as a mid-layer.

Peloton 200 1/4 Zip Hoody - I'm a bit neutral on this piece. It is very, very soft, weighs next to nothing - which leads me to what its real purpose is. Maybe it will add warmth and move perspiration (my goals) but it is light. It has the potential to be the best thing since sliced bread, or another nice shirt to wear around town.

I also bought a military ECWCS gen iii, level 2, 1/4 zip shirt off ebay. These are made from Polartec Dry for the military. Fits well, not as comfortable next to skin as some Polartec Dry shirts I've had on. It has a courser/larger grid pattern that what I've seen on the Patagonia R-series shirts. I've been wearing it as a second shirt and it is surprisingly warm. It weighs 10.9 oz so it is in line with other second/midlayer shirts I've been trying. I'll likely keep it for hiking but for $15-20 they are worth a look.

Haven't pulled the trigger on a Patagonia R1 but am going to look at them again today now that I've seen the Kuiu Peloton 200 hoody. I've handled most of the Patagonia base layer line - I like how they feel next to skin. I'll likely end up with a bunch of it before all is said and done <G>

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have the Peleton 200 hoody. Agree with your assessment. I did run in it when it was 70* to test moisture movement and it did very well. It may have a place as a layer.

Also trying the Arc’teryx Atom LT. Very impressed with warmth and wind protection so far for something so light. Need to see how well it breathes though.

Last edited by prm; 01/13/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JimD.
Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. Has anyone tried the KUIU Teton insulated jacket?

Yes. It’s the same stuff as in the Kenai, just in a simpler configuration.

I love the jacket personally. It is dead quiet, light, and breathes really well. I throw it on once I hit the black timber and am trying to sneak up on elk.

It seems to be the same material as Patagonia uses in their Nano Air.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
510 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 49 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.