Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
I have the Peleton 200 hoody. Agree with your assessment. I did run in it when it was 70* to test moisture movement and it did very well. It may have a place as a layer.

Also trying the Arc’teryx Atom LT. Very impressed with warmth and wind protection so far for something so light. Need to see how well it breathes though.

The Atom LT is sweet. I bet you'll like it.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just popping in to say hi Tim! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Took the Atom on a short hike with a silk weight capilene base. Was in the high 20s and quite windy (windchill of 0 deg.). Atom is surprisingly warm. Borderline too warm if head down and moving up the hills. Comfortable when stopped and seems to breathe well. Surprised by wind resistance. Need to try it more but really impressed so far. With a Peleton 200 under it I think I could spot and stalk in quite cold conditions. Really curious to see how it feels with Kuiu super Down under it. May be able to glass in really cold windy conditions obviating the need for any additional insulation. Also, I got an Atom in the color ‘Basalt’. Real nice hunting color.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Hello there, Mr O. You still raising hell on the Hunters campfire forum?
😉

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
Took the Atom on a short hike with a silk weight capilene base. Was in the high 20s and quite windy. Atom is surprisingly warm. Borderline too warm if head down and moving up the hills. Comfortable when stopped and seems to breathe well. Surprised by wind resistance. Need to try it more but really impressed so far. With a Peleton 200 under it I think I could spot and stalk in quite cold conditions. Really curious to see how it feels with Kuiu super Down under it. May be able to glass in really cold windy conditions obviating the need for any additional insulation. Also, I got an Atom in the color ‘Basalt’. Real nice hunting color.

Since I've had my LT hoody Arc has added a drawstring to the hood, a much needed enhancement-I'm thinking about one in the Basalt as well.

Last edited by 340boy; 01/13/18.

James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know. Tried one on today along with the Atom AR. I like them both but of course I'm between a medium and large. I'd likely default to a large because the shoulders fit better. I do have the fat guy waist look but that's better than tight shoulders.
I also looked at the Arc'teryx Delta series. Like the Delta AR alot but might be a bit too warm.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m 5-8 and the large Atom fits well. Will allow me to easily layer, even adding a super down under it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
Good to know. Tried one on today along with the Atom AR. I like them both but of course I'm between a medium and large. I'd likely default to a large because the shoulders fit better. I do have the fat guy waist look but that's better than tight shoulders.
I also looked at the Arc'teryx Delta series. Like the Delta AR alot but might be a bit too warm.

My Arc'teryx Atom is my favorite jacket.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bwinters (or others),
Can you compare the warmth and the moisture wicking of the Peleton 200 to 240?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow 11 pages??? Again I love my first lite....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Wow 11 pages??? Again I love my first lite....

Jud,
Never even heard of First Lite till this thread and they are located 80 miles north of me. Guess I gotta get out more. 😃

James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I e had it all, for me, it’s first lite and king of the mountain wool... the first lite puffy is fairly fuucking amazing... imo

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Can't yet, today is the first I've worn it. I'm at the range now trying to get feeling back in my fingers.........

I have a Patagonia cap 2 next to skin, Kuiu Peloton 200, and a Kuiu Kenai. Body is warm, fingers not so much. This combo will work for still hunting in cold weather. It's 20 here now and I'd feel good moving around down to single digits. Not generating any sweat at the moment so can't comment on wicking ability yet. May go run in it later today.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bwinters
Form - lets break down 'warmest puffy' into 3 categories - I'd like your thoughts. I'm personally more interested in synthetic but down is allowed to play. Lets define 'lightweight' as anything less than 24oz.

Outright warmth, weight not really a consideration
Warmest with consideration for lightweight
Warmest breathable lightweight

Thanks.

There are a ton of like items and it really comes down to picking by full weight (warmth) and cut/features. Down is always going to be warmer for same weight and lighter for same warmth.

Outright warmth- Arcteryx Cold WX Parka SVX (though that's probably not what you were thinking). In that case, the Firstlite Chamberlin is going to be the warmest puffy before you get into the $900 plus realm. 10+ ounces of 850 fill down is getting into true cold weather clothing.

Warmest with consideration for weight- 6-8oz of 800+ fill down, 3.5oz Apex or equivalent.

Warmest breathable lightweight- Anything with 80-100g Polartec Alpha/Coreloft Continuous (Arcteryx Proton).

With puffys you really have to go off of what is the coldest that you want to maintain absolute comfort in a true stationary position. Then think of it like a sleeping bag minus 10-15 degrees. I.e. If a certain fill weight in a sleeping bag is good to 20 degrees, the same fill weight in a jacket is good to 30-35 degrees at best. It won't be as warm as a bag due to reduced efficiency and heat transfer, as well as more air leaks. I think one reason why there is so much confusion with insulation and warmth is that very few people actually remain motionless in truly cold conditions. Especially hunters. We have never seen anyone else sitting motionless and glassing for hours in November/December when it's below 20 degrees. They are all sitting in the truck, or slowing moving.

I'll tell you that we backpack hunt from 65 degrees and sunny to negative zero and snowing with the main tactic of hiking to vantage points, glassing for hours motionless and then a near sprint to get into range.

My clothing for next year will be-

Firstlite Aerowool top and bottom (lightweight).
Light-midweight fleece top such as the Arcteryx Fortrez hoody or Patagonia R1.
Sitka Kelvin Active or Arcteryx Proton AR.
Probably the Firstlite Kanab/Obsidians even though they have durability issues.
Firstlite Chamberlin Puffy
Probably the PCU puff pants since no one wants to make a puffy pant that's warm enough.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting.

I'm with you on the FL Aerowool tops. I had a pair of Obsidians but don't think they'll hold up very well. I sent them back and will likely be in Kuiu Attacks. Also agree on puffy pants. Bought a pair from Plythal last week and haven't received them yet - 80 grams Primaloft Gold. We'll see.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Probably the PCU puff pants since no one wants to make a puffy pant that's warm enough.

Maybe the new Super Down Pro from KUIU? They have twice the fill of their Super Down Ultra Pants which are warm, but not warm enough for the coldest weather.

The warmest light puffy I have found is the Yukon Jacket of PHD's K Series. It is incredibly warm for its 13oz wieght and compresses like a dream inside a small stuff compression bag. for a small extra they custom size which for me, always running between an M and an L size is perfecto.

They make pants too, but I have not tried them. https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/yukon-down-jacket-k-series?phdsid=bv6bhsdq2be19csstjnoo5vqk0

The warmest-warmest I have tried is Valandre's Immelman Jacket with its 13oz down fill and a total weight of over 2lbs.http://www.valandre.com/outerwear/immelman-g2.html

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've tried lots of puffy jackets from hunting companies, The warmest of What I've tried is the kifaru LPP, if I want warmer than that, I go for something from a mountaineering company.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
He will stuff those puffy pants so they are real warm if you want!!
https://goosefeetgear.com/products/down-pants/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Hello there, Mr O. You still raising hell on the Hunters campfire forum?
😉

They've lost their freaking minds up there.

Hadn't seen you around- very glad to know you are still hearty and hale! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m narrowing in on a system for next year.

Patagonia Capilene silkweight
Arc’teryx Atom LT
Kifaru LPP
Teton Rain Jacket

I have a Kelvin active on the way and I anticipate it being added as a warmer weather top or for pure hiking in traveling mode (no slow spot and stalk).

Also have an Aerowool top coming that I anticipate I’ll alternate with the Capilene.

I also have a Kuiu super down that works really well under the Atom. If not so cold as to need the LPP I could just go with that. Very light and takes up little space.

Edit: The Peleton 200 is a nice hoody, but I'm not sure if it fits. Maybe as a hang around camp top in warmer weather. My thought is it wont bring much if the Kelvin Active works out. Also, one mild concern I have is the lack of a more durable fabric as a top layer. If I find myself pushing through vines or brush I'm not sure how these will hold up. My Guide jacket would be perfect if only the sleeves weren't so narrow. Kuiu didn't think that one through very well in my opinion. When do you wear the Guide as a mid-layer? Rarely... Thus why the athletic cut? May find a way to fit Teton shell jacket that I have into mix. Have options.

Last edited by prm; 01/17/18.
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.