Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I too am almost set with my layering system.

First lite minaret aerowool crew top
Kuiu peloton 200
First lite uncompahgre puffy
Kuiu guide jacket

Two changes I am considering are a patagonia R1 hoody in place of the peloton 200 and a foxwear.org power wool shirt in place of the aerowool. The foxwear power wool shirt intrigues me (and its only $35)

BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Do look at the EMS feather pak its like 5z 800fill down. $140ish and often a bunch cheaper. I like mine. But to have a few different ones seems to be good to me also smile

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting on the Atom LT. I'm checking out both the LT and AR in both the Atom and Delta series. I'm digging the Arcteryx products.

To solve the Kuiu Guide arm/chest issue, I ordered a Plythal Rut Extreme. They call it a "Rut Extreme" but its basically a wind proof fleece. I'm hopeful the arms/chest fit better.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BradB
Do look at the EMS feather pak its like 5z 800fill down. $140ish and often a bunch cheaper. I like mine. But to have a few different ones seems to be good to me also smile

I have one of these - its the real deal. They were on closeout prices starting yesterday. If I can get 3-4 years from it, I'm good.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deputy30
I too am almost set with my layering system.

First lite minaret aerowool crew top
Kuiu peloton 200
First lite uncompahgre puffy
Kuiu guide jacket

Two changes I am considering are a patagonia R1 hoody in place of the peloton 200 and a foxwear.org power wool shirt in place of the aerowool. The foxwear power wool shirt intrigues me (and its only $35)

Your list is looking close to mine. I'm trying to decide between the FL Uncompaghre and the Kuiu Kenai. To me the Kenai breathes better, the Uncompaghre may be a tiny bit warmer. I'll likely use both till I decide which one I like better. I'm also experimenting with using a Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody over the Aerowool/Kuiu Peloton 200. I like the 3 piece combo and think it will work for still hunting between 15-30 degrees. Of course I'll have a puffy in the pack for extended sit/glassing sessions.

In lieu of the R1, compare the Kuiu Peloton 240 and R1. I've had both in my hand, they are very similar. I'd also throw in the Arcteryx Delta AR with those two. I tried on an Arcteryx Kayanite and really dig the material and fit but suspect it would be warmer than either the R1 or Peloton 240, maybe too warm. As an aside, a bunch of new R1 pullovers have been selling on ebay for $80-90 in normal colors. If you want a non-hunting color, they can be had for cheaper.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My line of thinking in comparing the R1 and the Peloton 240 went as followed:

R1 has polar tech power grid, which I feel is a warmer material than the Toray fabric in the Peloton: however, the R1 does not come in any type of camouflage.

I read somewhere, maybe here, that the Peleton 240 gets runners and pullers easily and is not real durable, especially in brush.

So I thought that if I could find R1 in a brown or darker color, it would be a better choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Are the Patagonia Nano-Air pieces the only puffies that stretch? Not seeing it mentioned by others.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deputy30
My line of thinking in comparing the R1 and the Peloton 240 went as followed:

R1 has polar tech power grid, which I feel is a warmer material than the Toray fabric in the Peloton: however, the R1 does not come in any type of camouflage.

I read somewhere, maybe here, that the Peleton 240 gets runners and pullers easily and is not real durable, especially in brush.

So I thought that if I could find R1 in a brown or darker color, it would be a better choice.

BTW: Campsaver.com has Patagonia R1 hoodie on sale for $135. If you enter 15WIN you get an additional 15% off, free shipping, final cost is $114.88. Color is black. I now own one <G>

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for heads up.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I now have the R1 along with a combination of 11 various FL Aerowool tops and bottoms thanks to the big FL sale and all the bad influence received at the Fire. Also the Woodbury in ASAT was too good of a deal to pass up at $195.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Glad we could help 😁

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I now have the R1 along with a combination of 11 various FL Aerowool tops and bottoms.

Good grief..... I got a pair of carhartt poly longjohns, a Wrangler shirt, a surplus fleece sweatshirt, a vest and a LPP. I do have 2 pair of hunting britches, just so no one tells me the Wrangler jeans will kill me......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm
My Guide jacket would be perfect if only the sleeves weren't so narrow. Kuiu didn't think that one through very well in my opinion. When do you wear the Guide as a mid-layer? Rarely... Thus why the athletic cut? May find a way to fit Teton shell jacket that I have into mix. Have options.

The thin cut arm come from the mountaineering world. Lots of Patagonia etc. jackets have arms cut like that.

I think it’s because softshells are not made to be the last in a series of layers as most believe. They are meant to be worn in more active situations that require weather protection. Lots of people try to use them in the wrong situation as outer layers over lots of insulation.

Definitely not meant to be worn as a mid layer.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
Are the Patagonia Nano-Air pieces the only puffies that stretch? Not seeing it mentioned by others.

Kuiu Kenai and Teton insulated have stretch. Feels almost identical to the Nano Air.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by pointer

Kuiu Kenai and Teton insulated have stretch. Feels almost identical to the Nano Air.
Thanks for that info. I'm fat and like clothes that stretch if I can find them.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Maybe not in the category of warmest puffy's, but I just picked up an EMS Featherpack jacket from Bob's for $80. It came in day before yesterday. It was 7 degrees wet cold here yesterday and all I had on under it was a sweatshirt and it was plenty. EMS gets pretty good reviews as well. YMMV

Eddie

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
VEST?

How effective is a fleece/merino vest in the layering system; over the base and mid layer? Three total sleeves (base, mid, outer) is about all I can make work comfortably. Any more and I start feeling like this.....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A Patagonia puffball vest is always on the packing list. Thing is nearing 2 decades of use and is way warmer than one would think in looking/handling it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
+1 to the puffball vest. I loaned mine to a hypothermic friend once and I think it has sold 5 or 6 vests since then.

Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.