Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If anyone is interested in the Sitka Kelvin Active, make sure you order a size up. I’m a medium in just about everything and I could barely zip it up over a thin running shirt. Back in the bag for an exchange. There are advantages to buying in a store...

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How wind resistant is the KUIU Guide jacket?

Does it suffice as an outer layer when no precipitation is expected but lots of wind?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Does it suffice as an outer layer when no precipitation is expected but lots of wind?

I think it’s very wind resistant. Does well in the rain too. To a point.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Talked to the guys at Sitka yesterday. They are re-designing the Kelvin Down hoody to add a more durable surface, improve the DWR finish, and add 2oz more insulation. Not sure if they are adding down or synthetic. Price will remain the same ($389) and be launched in ~ March. You'll also notice bonus deals on the Kelvin down hoody right now all over the place but notably eBay. You can pick one up for ~ $260-270. I also note alot of Sitka gear on discount right now for 20-30% off. I picked up a few pieces to try.

I'm waiting for the new Kelvin down hoody this spring as my puffy jkt. I'm going to sell my FL Uncompaghre and likely my Kuiu Kenai. I've decided to quit fighting the big fat puffy under an outer layer - I'm going to wear something quiet and light for the hike in and to still hunt, then puffeize upon arrival.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds like the Kelvin down hoody will be a nice piece. Any thoughts on how it will compare to the Kifaru LPP? I have the LPP now and see it as a glassing or hanging around camp piece. It’s quite warm and the heavy duty material on the front and bottom of sleeves is quite durable.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well, wind resistant is the key word. It’s not windproof like say the Sitka Jetstream.

As to how much wind before you feel it through the jacket? I’m not exactly sure. Let’s just say I wore it snowboarding once and won’t do it again, because ripping down a groomer is enough to feel the air moving through the fabric.

Here in MT 40 mph or more winds are not uncommon during hunting season. I don’t find myself reaching for the Guide if it looks like a windy day.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For this winter I purchased a Columbia lightweight jacket. It has down and also has that reflective lining. You would never think of it as a hunting jacket. But now I certainly do. We have had some extremely cold days and nights here in Minnesota this winter, and that lightweight little jacket has kept me toasty warm. I would not have believed it when I purchased it. Great Jacket. And I purchased it at an outlet and paid very little money for it (I think $50). If your looking for a reasonably priced packable jacket to keep you warm I highly recommend it, although its not going to come in camo colors.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know as I've never had a Kifaru LPP in my hands. I do know people that have the current version of the Sitka Kelvin down hoody and they say its really, really warm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would agree with bellydeep. Have both Guide and Jetstream jackets. Much prefer the Jetstream for when I want to cut wind.

Do or do not, there is no try.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Over the weekend I made the trip to an REI to check out the patagonia R1. It was thew first time I was able to see one in person and try it on. The hoody was all they had in stock, which got me thinking. If I would purchase an r1, would a hoody or the jacket be a better choice? I would think a hoody would fit better in a layering system but the jacket would be better at regulating body temperature (by having the option of unzippering it)

Thoughts?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The R1 hoody has a 1/2 zipper or a bit more. I looked at the jacket and chose the 1/2 zipper option. I'm not crazy about jackets without hoods. They keep you warm and cut the wind even when it's warmish out. I also really like a hood in the mid-layers. When it's cold I'll wear 3 hoods layered over/under each other. I find it hard to be warm without a hood when it's cold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can get the non-hooded version in a 1/4 zip too.

Frankly, I’m not that wild about hoods on base or mid layers. You can always duplicate the function of a hood with a neck gaiter and beanie. If I need a hood it’s probably pretty cold and I’ll use a heavier layer for that. Plus, you start getting hoods on everything and next thing you know you’ve got a built in pillow between your pack and back of head made from 16 different hoods.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Well, wind resistant is the key word. It’s not windproof like say the Sitka Jetstream.

As to how much wind before you feel it through the jacket? I’m not exactly sure. Let’s just say I wore it snowboarding once and won’t do it again, because ripping down a groomer is enough to feel the air moving through the fabric.

Here in MT 40 mph or more winds are not uncommon during hunting season. I don’t find myself reaching for the Guide if it looks like a windy day.

I am a big fan of wind block vests and wear in conjunction with outer wear.

I hunt around the crazies and up north by the breaks and always seems like wind is blowing

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My experience with the Guide jacket is that it is wind resistant, but the material doesn't have much insulating property so you feel the cold outer layer. As long as you have insulation on under it, it works well enough.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
bwinters For arguments sake, lets say the jacket had a hood. Would you then find the jacket more appealing than the hoody?

Also, I think from your posts I can assume you have the guide jacket ( as do I). I also assume you find the guide jacket to be way to tight when worn over a puffy ( as I have found out when trying to wearing my uncompahgre puffy under my guide). Can you comment on how your patagonia r1 hoody fits under your guide jacket?

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah I could like a full Zip R1 hoody, mainly because I like hoods.

I do have a Guide jacket and find it really tight in the shoulders and arms with a substantial puffy. The 60 gram First Lite Cirrus fits under the Guide well enough. The Uncompaghre and Kuiu Kenai, not so much.

The R1 hoody is fairly thin, but warm, and fits under the Guide really well. I'm tending to agree with whoever said these softshell fleece type jackets were not designed to be worn as an outer shell but as a mid layer or warmish weather outer layer. I've tried alot of them and am coming to that same realization. As a result, I'm going a different direction - Sitka Kelvin Down Hoody as an outer layer while stationary. I'll still have a softshell for moving around but won't plan to stuff layers under it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Did 18 miles yesterday in the Smokys, not big elevation gain, only about 10-1100 feet but it was rolly-polly all day. Temps in the low 40's, a bit of wind, overcast and crappy, did run into light rain in the PM. I wore the FL Aerowool Minerett under the Patagonia R1 all day - excellent combo. Yesterday was a good example of why I like hoods on midlayers. It was windy in stretches depending on which side of the mountain you were on. On the windy side, my ears got cold. Flip up the hood, no more cold ears.

I also had a Kuiu 240 Peloton with me. I started off hiking with the FL, R1, and 240 in the AM when it was in the 30's. Within 1/2 mile peeled the 240 off. Both the R1 and 240 are deceptively warm. The 240 is also offers more than a bit of wind resistance. I also wore it when it was lightly raining. We hiked in the misty rain for ~ 1.5 hours and the rain never made it to my skin.

If I was to pontificate, the Minerett + R1 be good for hiking down into the low-mid 20's, maybe cooler if you run warm. I don't. The Minerett-R1-240 Peloton would make a great still hunt combo likely down into the 20's.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I will apologize up front if has been discussed. Anyone use a Kryptec puffy and what are your thoughts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Springcove
I will apologize up front if has been discussed. Anyone use a Kryptec puffy and what are your thoughts?

They are pretty heavy in comparison to other jackets of similar warmth.

I had one briefly, then returned it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.

Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,583
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.