Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I found a now-discontinued Sitka Kelvin Ultra light down jacket on STP for under $100.
Packs small into a pocket and is extremely warm under a shell of some sort.
It is not tough enough to be an outer layer.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Springcove
I will apologize up front if has been discussed. Anyone use a Kryptec puffy and what are your thoughts?

Kifaru's LPP is available in highlander.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I will apologize up front if has been discussed. Anyone use a Kryptec puffy and what are your thoughts?

Are you saying they are the same thing? Have not seen either so don't know. Would guess which one cost the most.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Are you saying they are the same thing? Have not seen either so don't know. Would guess which one cost the most.

Not the same jacket but does come in the same camo pattern.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just received a Sitka Kelvin Active the other day. Initial impression is that it will be a great layer for those warmer than usual days in the mountains. Late archery or early rifle seasons could see extensive use. Will try it in a variety of scenarios over the next week or so.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
Just received a Sitka Kelvin Active the other day. Initial impression is that it will be a great layer for those warmer than usual days in the mountains. Late archery or early rifle seasons could see extensive use. Will try it in a variety of scenarios over the next week or so.

Be curious to see how it does for you. My local place is having a sale on Sitka.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I received one on Monday. My initial impression is that I like it better than the Kuiu Kenai, FL Uncompagrhe. I'm keeping the Kelvin Lite and selling both the Kenai and Uncompaghre. It also fits well under a Jetstream.

I've been trying on alot of Sitka Gear in the past couple weeks - have a bedroom full of it. It fits me well - better than FL and Kuiu. I also think it's slightly better attention to detail than the other two. I'm probably going to look like a Sitka advertisement this fall........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got the Kelvin Active 20% off at Midway. Definitely buy a size up if you, or anyone else, decide to try one. It's very light. The niche it fills for me is either spot & stalk in cooler conditions or hiking down to 20 or so, maybe less if reasonably strenuous. That would be with only a capilene silkweight or aerowool base layer. Adding the Arcteryx Atom over it is reasonably robust while adding a Lost Park Parka over the Sitka Kelvin Active would handle very cold conditions. These options, plus a light rain jacket, seem to create a flexible layering system that handles moisture very well, works for all conditions I've seen from late archery through mid-rifle seasons in the Rockies at 10k', and is very light. The Lost Park parka doesn't pack real small, but not terrible either. For now I don't see carrying both the Atom and the LPP to go over the SKA, but there would be little weight penalty for doing so. 1st rifle conditions can vary dramatically so perhaps then? It's really amazing to feel how well these items manage moisture, keep you warm and yet pack so small and light.

Last edited by prm; 01/31/18.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Any one have or seen the OR Colossus?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’m leaning towards the Kifaru lost parka full zip. I normally wear XL. Would I be good with XL or should I go XXL? Any help is much appreciated. This is all new to me.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bwinters
I received one on Monday. My initial impression is that I like it better than the Kuiu Kenai, FL Uncompagrhe. I'm keeping the Kelvin Lite and selling both the Kenai and Uncompaghre. It also fits well under a Jetstream.

I've been trying on alot of Sitka Gear in the past couple weeks - have a bedroom full of it. It fits me well - better than FL and Kuiu. I also think it's slightly better attention to detail than the other two. I'm probably going to look like a Sitka advertisement this fall........

Good info there.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
After some playing around, I think I’ve settled on a Capilene base layer with a Kuiu Peleton 200 and a Sitka Kelvin Active to cover a lot of CO hunting conditions for me. Have a Kifaru LPP to top it off if really cold or an Arcteryx Atom if a little less insulation will work.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by prm
After some playing around, I think I’ve settled on a Capilene base layer with a Kuiu Peleton 200 and a Sitka Kelvin Active to cover a lot of CO hunting conditions for me. Have a Kifaru LPP to top it off if really cold or an Arcteryx Atom if a little less insulation will work.

Atom LT or AR?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Atom LT.
As a system, it weighs less, is less volume, and manages moisture far better than what I was using. With the Kuiu Teton rain jacket, these pieces give me some flexibility to adjust to about any forecast conditions.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone uses the Stetchdown pieces from Mountain Hardware?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looked at them but have never had one in hand.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I finally got the opportunity to try out my Patagonia R1. It is an awesome piece. I cannot believe how warm it is compared to how light and thin it is. I can certainly see how it is a fast drying piece of clothing. One thing that I was wrong about was where it would fit in with my layering system. I had a preconceived notion that my layering system would be an aerowool base, the peleton 200, followed by the R1, and finally the Kuiu guide jacket. However, the R1 is more form fitting than I thought, and fits better under the peleton 200. Not a big deal but something you figure out when you have the various pieces in hand and can actually try them on.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I’ve never seen a Peleton 200 but I assumed it was almost the same thing as an R1. What’s the theory between wearing both?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They are very similar.

An issue, if you want to call it that, that I ran into today is that the hood on the Peleton 200 has no water resistance. Combined with the Kelvin Active which has no hood, and it’s not ideal on a rainy, misty day. Temp was 34 and I was comfortable, just wish hood repelled water.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Just another layer that is warm and breathable and light for colder days. I seem to get colder quicker than most people.

Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,455
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.