Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bwinters
I own a bunch of puffy jackets. Most are pretty thin with the goal of being very small/packable. Yesterday, I hunted in 20-30 degree temps and was cold in the AM after ~ 1.5 hours. My legs/feet were fine, my upper body was cold which is weird for me. Admittedly I underdressed a bit for the occasion. I wore a merino base layer, Kuiu Kenai, and a Kuiu Guide. I discovered the Kenai isn't as warm as I thought. I'm looking at Kuiu Super Down but thought I'd throw it out to you'se guys. Warmest puffy that is packable - it will ride in/on my pack except to sit.

Thanks.

What temps are you looking for and what are the conditions? Do you want to be able to wear it while moving, or is it for putting on after you hike to a glassing spot where you will be sitting still for hours?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm following this even though I don't backpack hunt! I mainly stand hunt for whitetails, but do tend to walk quite a bit in and out.

I typically layer. Merino next to skin, fleece midweight top and bottom, lightweight down top, then a wind proof fleece outer layer top/bottom. I really like the Berber type fleece as an outer layer. I want something as quiet as possible and nothing binding.

I'm anxious to read more of your comments. I like puffy's, but want them to work well with something over them. Hadn't found one quiet enough yet to wear as an outer layer. Still learning...

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 12/10/17.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I own a bunch of puffy jackets. Most are pretty thin with the goal of being very small/packable. Yesterday, I hunted in 20-30 degree temps and was cold in the AM after ~ 1.5 hours. My legs/feet were fine, my upper body was cold which is weird for me. Admittedly I underdressed a bit for the occasion. I wore a merino base layer, Kuiu Kenai, and a Kuiu Guide. I discovered the Kenai isn't as warm as I thought. I'm looking at Kuiu Super Down but thought I'd throw it out to you'se guys. Warmest puffy that is packable - it will ride in/on my pack except to sit.

Thanks.

What temps are you looking for and what are the conditions? Do you want to be able to wear it while moving, or is it for putting on after you hike to a glassing spot where you will be sitting still for hours?

I have 2 purposes for a warm puffy - one is eastern treestand hunting, mainly in NW PA; temps from 10 to 40. Sitting all day even when its 30 degrees requires more clothes than one would think. The other purpose is mountain hunting in the east and west. In elk season (late October), temps are mostly 10 to 40 but I normally hike in 2-3 miles and climb 500-1500 feet. I need a puffy layer for those 2-3-4 hour stands/glassing sessions. I'm less concerned about the mountain hunting because of the movement involved, a guy can always move around a bit if he gets cold, plus I have a few different puffys to use depending on the temps/activity. Not so with the TS hunting.

As a side note, I've always defaulted to synthetic insulation for the sweat/wet factor. Once down gets wet, its next to useless. But synthetic isn't nearly as warm as down, nor as packable. I posted my question here because the guys here are always up on the latest and what works/doesn't work.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'm following this even though I don't backpack hunt! I mainly stand hunt for whitetails, but do tend to walk quite a bit in and out.

I typically layer. Merino next to skin, fleece midweight top and bottom, lightweight down top, then a wind proof fleece outer layer top/bottom. I really like the Berber type fleece as an outer layer. I want something as quiet as possible and nothing binding.

I'm anxious to read more of your comments. I like puffy's, but want them to work well with something over them. Hadn't found one quiet enough yet to wear as an outer layer. Still learning...

Had all my stuff stolen in October - almost every single thing I own related to hunting, backpacking, camping. I've used this incident as an opportunity to explore new gear. I've found some I really like, some not so much.

Some of the best things I've found:

Crispi boots - now own 3 pairs
Kuiu Peleton 240 hoodie
Kuiu Ultra merino 210 hoodie
Nemo Fillo backpack pillow

Like you, I wear merino wool base layers (Ice Breaker 260 to be exact) but have gone to the Kuiu Ultra merino 210 hoodie as a next layer. This set up is usually all I wear when hiking into treestands or in the mountains even when its fairly cold. I've used alot of fleece of varying thickness and like it alot but it doesn't provide the warmth as some of the synthetics and down. Also like you, I haven't found nirvana yet with a good insulating layer. I bought a FL Uncompaghre puffy and a Kuiu Kenai. The FL is warmer but has a 'plastic' like exterior and rustles a bit too much for my liking. The Kenai is very quiet and breathes but isn't as warm or packable as I'd like. I'll keep both pieces as they have a place. I did buy the EMS down hooded jacket I posted a couple posts back. We'll see how that works.

For an outer layer, I've been using a couple. As a default for TS hunting and especially if precip is in the forecast, I've been wearing a Rivers West Ambush jkt/pants. This isn't for walking around - they are way too warm and bulky for much walking. I also wear Kuiu Guide jkt/pants over base layers if temps are not cold and if I'm walking/hiking. They are a good compromise - not the quietest, not the warmest, but a very good overall compromise. This weekend, I found a good sale and ordered a FL Woodbury jkt and North Branch bibs. I have the FL Sanctuary coat/bibs but it needs to be really cold to wear that outfit. My concern with the FL stuff is longevity. The exterior is very quiet but I'd bet I could wreck it in a day or two of thrashing around in NW PA bear/deer hunting. We'll see how that works out.

Aside from losing my elk season, it has been fun reviewing/buying/trying new gear. I've learned alot from my evaluations and collectively from the 'Fire. Love this place and people. Most of the people any way ................. <G>

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have several, one being the FL version which is pretty good, but when i need real warmth I wear an old Patagonia one with 800 down fill.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both a Marmot 900 fill and a Kuiu Super Ultra hooded jacket, both very packable. In real cold which I'm starting to avoid more and more (except for sneaking on coyotes) I wear an outer water- and wind proof shell over these with a fleece gaitor and with a merino base. My trunk, hands and feet rarely give me a problem; it's my head and neck that get cold. But I'm talking -20 WC and below.

Both those items are a bit pricey but what quality isn't anymore. My main, general gripe with some high quality and spendy outer garments are the fine-toothed, plastic zippers some come with.

ETA: my outer shell is not the Ultra "soft-quiet" stuff as I don't bow hunt for whitetails any longer and it is sufficiently quiet for anything else.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 12/11/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tons of great puffy options if you don't limit yourself to "hunting" brands. I agree it's real tough to beat the Montbell Alpine Light for value.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
]

I have 2 purposes for a warm puffy - one is eastern treestand hunting, mainly in NW PA; temps from 10 to 40. Sitting all day even when its 30 degrees requires more clothes than one would think. The other purpose is mountain hunting in the east and west. In elk season (late October), temps are mostly 10 to 40 but I normally hike in 2-3 miles and climb 500-1500 feet. I need a puffy layer for those 2-3-4 hour stands/glassing sessions. I'm less concerned about the mountain hunting because of the movement involved, a guy can always move around a bit if he gets cold, plus I have a few different puffys to use depending on the temps/activity. Not so with the TS hunting.

As a side note, I've always defaulted to synthetic insulation for the sweat/wet factor. Once down gets wet, its next to useless. But synthetic isn't nearly as warm as down, nor as packable. I posted my question here because the guys here are always up on the latest and what works/doesn't work.

There is only a couple of puffys mentioned that I or my friends/mates haven't used. With a lot of trial and error almost all of us have come to the same general system/idea. The first is moisture management- we're going to sweat, when we we do we ant to dry out as fast as possible even if sitting still. That means the clothing combination or system must work towards that end. With the right combination of clothes you can go from soaked I sweat to having a completely dry next to skin layer in less than 30 minutes by using your body heat to cook the system dry.
I love merino and hate the way synthetics feel. I started wearing merino base layers within the first year or so of them being available. However after a decade plus of using them heavily, one single digit overcast day two years ago I was done with "warm when wet". Three hours in I was still soaked and nearly hypothermic. Every single person that was wearing merino that day swore that they were done with it. The ones wearing synthetics were completely dry inside of an hour.

Regardless of the region the base system that I use from 60 degrees and below is a silk weight (Patagonia Capaline LvL 1, etc) top as a moisture management layer. It's sole function is to get moisture off of my skin. Over that I wear a light to midweight fleece such as the Arctyrx Fortrez Hoody, Sitka Fanatic, etc. It has to be really cold- sub 20, or really windy for me to wear more than that while I'm moving. If it is really cold than a puffy with Polartec Alpha, windy a wind shirt. Real puffys are for throwing on after stopping to glass, sit, etc. and put it on immediately and a wind shirt or rain too over that, allowing the body heat to "push" the sweat through the layers and away from my skin. From sweated out to dry in single digit temps- 15-20 minutes.

I don't think many suggesting the Kuiu Super Down, FL Uncompahgre, etc. have sat for hours not moving in 10 degree temps. Those puffys are equivalent to a 30-40 degree sleeping bag in insulation at best. The warmest is the Kifaru Lost Park Parka and it is 3.6oz of Climashield Apex which is exactly what their 20 degree sleeping bags use.... The Montball Alpine suggested is a nice puffy but there is no way that it would allow me or anyone I know to sit for hours in 10* temps. At least not without adding a bunch of layers which I hate. I would much rather carry a warmer puffy than carry multiple layers of fleece/merino.

If you are not wanting to wear 2-3 layers of fleece or merino along with a puffy I would suggest you look for jackets with 5oz Climashield or equivalent for synthetics, and 8+ ounces of 800 fill power for down or equivalent. That's a minimum from what I've seen for stationary 10 degree use.

As an aside I have had good service with water treated down using it to cook dry as long as you wear water proof layer or windshirt over it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thoughts. Frankly my issue last Friday was exactly that - sweat soaked Merino wool that took too long to dry while 'cooking' under an insulation layer. I like your analogy on base layers 'cooking dry' while stationary. It is spot on. That said, I hate synthetics next to my skin. I may need to revisit synthetics. Thanks for another well thought out post based on experience. I appreciate it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I get a kick out of all the reccomendations for merino undergarments on this site. You couldn’t give me that junk... I tried it out the first year it became widely about ten years back, then after one season switched right back to Capilene (or its equivalent).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Use patagonia ultralight next to the skin. Washes clean, no odors and can throw away as it's cheap. Ranger hoodie from TAD to keep in the heat and arc'teryx outer layer or US MIL issue goretex to keep dry. F*ck merino.... scratches, stinks, and expensive... not to mention it stays wet. Puffys when wet stay that way.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Found this while doing a bit of research on synthetic vs merino base layers. Interesting.

https://backpackinglight.com/comfort_moisture_transport_wool_synthetic_clothing/

Another good thread cussing/discussing the merits of synthetic vs merino:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/37947/page/2/#comments

Last edited by bwinters; 12/12/17.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My synthetics get used all day, in cold temps with a lot of perspiration. When back to my tent at the end of a hard day, I'll typically put on a down or synthetic jacket (depending) to warm up. It's amazing how fast the capilene will dry out vs. wool. I despise getting into a down bag with wet clothes, and with nylon I'm dry and good to go. Not so with wool. Ditto pants and long undewear bottoms too...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
No problem. Something to look at are the synthetic/merino blends. I have been using First Lite's aerowool base layers and they are showing promise. So far dry times are only a couple minutes longer than comparable synthetics but the hand is merino like. Other than durability which remains to be seen, I would look at them if you're dissatisfied with the dry times of pure merino.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like my being cheap and too broke to replace the Capilene for merino was kinda forward thinking. wink Just wish the Capilene of today was like that of old. I liked the slicker stuff better.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been rethinking my base layers since Form posted. I moved to Ice Breaker 260 about 3-4-5 years ago. When I sweat, they get pretty wet. I think the issue is drying time after I stop or take a stand. They do seem to dry in the arid west but not so in the humid east. I have some thinner hybrid base layer tops I use when I'm just hiking. One by OR is my fav.

I've looked at the FL aerowool and Kuiu Peleton 130 as options. I'm headed for 3-4-5 days of deer hunting in S TN next week. There will be extensive hiking/climbing. I'm going to test a couple lighter synthetics vs Merino to see what I think.

This sidebar has been interesting.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All good stuff to read. I've used merino wool base layers but do find moisture to be an issue, at least for the tops. As a base layer for the bottoms I have no issue with Merino. My current set of Firstlite is worn out and need of replacement anyway. I think I'll try the aerowool and a Capeline and see what works. Not sure I can really compare what I use for the Rockies in October with the gear used for an eastern treestand. I've found nothing that tests cold gear more than sitting perfectly still in a stand on a breezy cold day in the eastern woods. For that my Cabela's wooltimate pants over kuiu ultra down insulation is quite toasty. I've looked at a similar top combination. The wooltimate is really too heavy for a backpack hunt though.

What are the actual complete layering systems folks are packing for 4-5 days in the Rockies in October?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by prm
To
What are the actual complete layering systems folks are packing for 4-5 days in the Rockies in October?

Silk weight/lightweight base layer top and bottom (Capaline, this year Aerowoll)
Light to midweight fleece hoody (Arctyrx Fortrez Hoody)
Outer breathable pant (FL Kanab, Kuhl, etc)
Puffy jacket and pants (Kifaru Lost Park Parka, and Beyond midweight puff pants)
Wind Shirt thatnis water resistant unless heavy rain showers are likely, then a Goretex/etc top and bottom sized to fit over everything
Beanie

The base system really doesn't change. If I will be moving lots in the 30's or less than a puffy with Polartec Alpha is thrown in. The temp determines what weight/fill the puff pants and top are. Multiple layers of fleece, merino, etc don't add up from a warmth and weight ratio versus just getting a warmer puffy.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks.
Thinking about it, I've concluded I don't have layers that compliment each other. I was often wearing a kuhl sweater I have over FL merino and then a Kuiu DCS Guide over that. Very warm, but I don't think the sweater breathes well enough to work with the merino. A better wicking layer, and then an insulation layer that breathes better (Polartec alpha) would likely serve me well. Maybe Sitka Kelvin Active? Then add a puffy (Kifaru or others) for the really cold glassing.

My system will need to include all that's possibly necessary for 4-5 days at 10k elevation in October.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Base layer (top & bottom) - lightweight Capilene
Mid Layer (top & bottom) - Patagonia R.5 fleece
Microtex pants, shirt, jacket as outwear
Patagonia puffball vest
Cheap (free with Nikon scope) insulated jacket
REI One rain jacket for wind/water
Red Ledge rain britches for wind/water

A combination of the above handles most every western hunt I've been on.

There are some things I'd like to upgrade/replace and I think some of the puffy options would be better than the fleece midlayer I use now. For my eastern deer hunting, I'm not having to cover much ground so cheap cold weather gear gets me by.

Last edited by pointer; 12/12/17.
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.