Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I bought a Kifaru Lost Parka recently and quickly returned it. I didn't like the bulkiness and seemed extremely loud to me.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It seemed load? Just had to ask (hence my avatar)

Last edited by troutslayer; 12/13/17.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by troutslayer
It seemed load? Just had to ask (hence my avatar)

Lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure it will be too loud for archery hunting, but it never hurts to have it along during the colder rifle season.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

I care nothing about camouflage for hunting (have killed quite a few deer with a bow on the ground in a tie dyed shirt) and usually choose good mountaineering cloths, however for better understanding of how clothing systems can work for you or against you, any podcast with John Barklow of Sitka is worth listening to. As an aside- I don't wear much of it, if any at all, but Sitka's mountain line is about the only hunting company who's clothing is about on the same level as top mountaineering brands like Arctyrx. Sitka is making really good gear these days.

Good timing on the recommendation of John Barklow. Sat down on an airplane to fly across the country and there was a new podcast with him talking about layering. Good stuff. Sitka seems to be heading in the right direction. A fewmyears ago I wasn’t sold on their stuff. I need to look closer now.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So is it actually better to have a synthetic next to skin and then merino as the second layer?

Last edited by STS45; 12/14/17.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Three scenarios I'm going to try next week. Synthetic base layer next to skin heavier merino over that, syn/wool blend next to skin with syn/wool bend as next layer, Merino base with wool/synthetic blend as next layer.

I'm now in curious/experiment mode 🤓

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If there is one kind of equipment that I have too many of it's the puffy jacket. Seriously, I have 2 Badlands Infernos, a First Lite Uncompahgre, a Browning Hell's Canyon Tommy Boy, 2 Cabela's Primaloft jackets, a KUIU Kenai, 2 LL Bean down puffies, A Cabelas packable down jacket, and probably more that I cannot remember. The down jackets are probably the warmest that I have but have their obvious drawbacks. The Badlands Inferno jackets are probably the warmest synthetic jackets to me. The Browning is warm too.

I was looking at the KUIU Superdown, and I am sure it is good but I don't think it would be warm enough for me. I get cold quickly when I am not moving. The Superdown has high quality fill but not a whole lot of it. If you are looking for the ultimate warmth, I think the bulkier (high fill weight) down puffies would be the warmest. I would look at the drab colors from Montbell, Feathered Friends, Marmot, North Face, etc. They won't be cheap but should be very warm.

Last edited by Theeck; 12/14/17.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Actually, I just checked and KUIU sells a Superdown Pro that appears to be heavier (more insulated) than their original Superdown jacket. It probably wouldn't challenge the Feathered Friends jackets for warmth but should be pretty warm for a 1 pound jacket.

Also, this is obvious but I like to wear the insulation under my shell. With down, I think it compresses the insulation and makes it less warm. I imagine wearing it over a soft shell would be warmer than wearing it under.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got a Kuiu catalog with my last Outdoor Life issue and they have the Super Down Pro listed with 5 ounces of 850 down with a total weight of 13.4 ounces. On the next page is the slate (they call it Phantom) colored Super Down Ultra one that I would buy just for that non-camo color, but it only has 2.3 ounces of the 850 down fill with a total weight of 7.9 ounces. Customer reviews say that people think that it is too fragile and thin.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windfall
I got a Kuiu catalog with my last Outdoor Life issue and they have the Super Down Pro listed with 5 ounces of 850 down with a total weight of 13.4 ounces. On the next page is the slate (they call it Phantom) colored Super Down Ultra one that I would buy just for that non-camo color, but it only has 2.3 ounces of the 850 down fill with a total weight of 7.9 ounces. Customer reviews say that people think that it is too fragile and thin.

Fragile and thin is probably based on hunters putting the jacket into circumstances it wasn’t intended for. I recall reading a thread over on Rokslide where some dummazz was pissed because his Sitka Jetstream didn’t keep him dry in a coastal WA/OR rain. Sometimes you can’t fix stupid.

A 7.9 oz down jacket is meant to be a mid layer and not an outer layer. It will not hold up walking through brush. Neither will a Patagonia Ultralight Down or and Arc’teryx Cerium SL or anything else with a low denier fabric.

Kuiu came out with the SD Pro because people were wearing the SD as an outer layer. In addition to a tougher shell they added more down fill. My only complaint is in cold weather when you need the Pro, the fabric gets very noisy. But that’s something they all do to an extent.

Really there’s no free lunch. You either pay the weight penalty with heavier fabric and/or more fill or you accept that your jacket is 1) not going to be all that warm or 2) will be susceptible to punctures.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Absolutely correct. I can not see myself trying to push through the brambles in a rip stop noisy outer layer. Who among us doesn't have a weather/wind proof or fleece quiet walking covering to go over the top of that down filled puffy jacket? Even then mine is in my pack or I would heat up like a portable sauna.

As a mid layer hunting and an outer layer around town lots of us here in the frozen north want a jacket/parka that can do double duty and with a removable hood. For hunting I can't hear very well with a hood on and a hood does not move as well when I turn my head.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
bwinters

Any conclusions from your experiment?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not done yet. I wore the Outdoor Research Sequence for 3 days this week. This thing is paper thin but works great. Temps in the 40-50's, humid (rain/fog every AM), lots of hiking (basically deer scouting), elevation changes 3-500 feet, steep climbs - a good test of the moisture wicking capabilities. The Sequence is good at wicking moisture. It would dry under my jacket in 30-45 minutes. The Kuiu Ultra Merino 210 hoodie is one of my favorite pieces of new clothing but it hangs onto the moisture a long time even though its a 50/50 product. I layered the Ultra 210 over the Sequence for hiking/still hunting. I added a Kuiu Guide jacket when I stood for any length of time.

I did a mini test today when I got home. I washed all the items, including a Patagonia Cap 2 and 3, and let them air dry while I timed till dry. The Kuiu Peleton 240 was the clear winner, followed by the Kuiu Guide pants. The dry times were 45/60 minutes respectively. After 60 minutes, I turned the ceiling fan on to hasten drying. After 90 minutes, the Ultra Merino 210, Duofold bottoms (50-50 hybrid), Smartwool socks were still a bit damp. Body heat would have helped drying. Surprisingly the Patagonia did worse than the Kuiu Peleton and the Peleton is a much thicker material.

For heavy hiking days, I'm leaning strong to all Peleton - 130 next to skin, 200 mid-layer, 240 hoodie as outer. I wore an Ice Breaker 260 top/bottom, Kuiu Ultra Merino 210 hoodie and Kuiu 240 Peleton hooded in the early part of the Tennessee deer season. I wore the Ice Breaker and Ultra 210 for the hike in, cooled down abit, then added the 240 Peleton to sit. Temps were in the 40-50 and windy. I was comfortable all day.

I'm leaning strong to a lightweight synthetic next to skin, followed by a synthetic or merino/syn blend for all situations except for short hikes into my whitetail treestand hunts. Then it will be Ice Breaker 260 all the way. I love the Ice Breaker wool - if I don't sweat much.

I'm working on my legs now. I'm thinking a heavier synthetic or synthetic/wool blend. I don't sweat much on my legs unless I'm absolutely drenched in my upper torso. I checked out Cabelas ECWS yesterday on my way by and left kind of feeling so-so about it. It uses PolarTec Power Dry so should wick well.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Did you have a chance to evaluate the aerowool. FL has the Minaret aerowool crew in asat camo on sale right now and I'm really tempted to try it out. The other option for a base layer is the Patagonia Capilene midweight crew. What's your opinion?

Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
Not done yet. I wore the Outdoor Research Sequence for 3 days this week. This thing is paper thin but works great. Temps in the 40-50's, humid (rain/fog every AM), lots of hiking (basically deer scouting), elevation changes 3-500 feet, steep climbs - a good test of the moisture wicking capabilities. The Sequence is good at wicking moisture. It would dry under my jacket in 30-45 minutes. The Kuiu Ultra Merino 210 hoodie is one of my favorite pieces of new clothing but it hangs onto the moisture a long time even though its a 50/50 product. I layered the Ultra 210 over the Sequence for hiking/still hunting. I added a Kuiu Guide jacket when I stood for any length of time.

I did a mini test today when I got home. I washed all the items, including a Patagonia Cap 2 and 3, and let them air dry while I timed till dry. The Kuiu Peleton 240 was the clear winner, followed by the Kuiu Guide pants. The dry times were 45/60 minutes respectively. After 60 minutes, I turned the ceiling fan on to hasten drying. After 90 minutes, the Ultra Merino 210, Duofold bottoms (50-50 hybrid), Smartwool socks were still a bit damp. Body heat would have helped drying. Surprisingly the Patagonia did worse than the Kuiu Peleton and the Peleton is a much thicker material.

For heavy hiking days, I'm leaning strong to all Peleton - 130 next to skin, 200 mid-layer, 240 hoodie as outer. I wore an Ice Breaker 260 top/bottom, Kuiu Ultra Merino 210 hoodie and Kuiu 240 Peleton hooded in the early part of the Tennessee deer season. I wore the Ice Breaker and Ultra 210 for the hike in, cooled down abit, then added the 240 Peleton to sit. Temps were in the 40-50 and windy. I was comfortable all day.

I'm leaning strong to a lightweight synthetic next to skin, followed by a synthetic or merino/syn blend for all situations except for short hikes into my whitetail treestand hunts. Then it will be Ice Breaker 260 all the way. I love the Ice Breaker wool - if I don't sweat much.

I'm working on my legs now. I'm thinking a heavier synthetic or synthetic/wool blend. I don't sweat much on my legs unless I'm absolutely drenched in my upper torso. I checked out Cabelas ECWS yesterday on my way by and left kind of feeling so-so about it. It uses PolarTec Power Dry so should wick well.

That is interesting that the Patagonia Cap. baselayers had longer drying times for you than the thicker layers from other makers. I've been using capilene for years and have had good luck, but have not experimented with other brands of baselayers, other than the Ice Breaker merino-I sweat so much that the merino was a disaster for me.

Last edited by 340boy; 12/20/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
bwinters,

how good or bad is the Peloton managing corporal odor? I mean if it will stench at the first sweat.

thank you

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just rec'd the Aeorwool yesterday. I plan to try it next week. The Patagonia arrived while I was out hunting. I washed it for the first time on Wednesday. I plan to give it a whirl next week. I'll try all these base layers over the winter as well - I do alot of hiking in the Smokies during Jan, Feb, March. We generally do day hikes 14-17 miles with a few 20+ mile days thrown in for good measure. I've learned alot from these hiking forays. I fine tuned my boot selection over the past couple years as a result.

Last edited by bwinters; 12/21/17.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
340 - I wouldn't read too much into the drying times yet - it was only my attempt at a crude experiment. The acid test will be how well they work under actual field conditions. If people are interested, I'll report what I find. I've spent way too much on clothing this fall. Probably have a sale on slightly used stuff this spring 😎

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The only Peleton piece I currently own is the 240 hoodie. I've been wearing it fairly regular since November. I've yet to notice an odor. The next Kuiu sale, I'll buy a 130 and a 200 and plan to wear them together. Been listening/reading a bunch on base layers over the past 2-3 weeks. My theory is to have a substantial 'system' to remove perspiration. Thinking a Peleton 130 or equivalent and a heavier synthetic base layer over to do the perspiration removal system. I also have a few puffys to evaluate to see how they deal with perspiration. We'll see over the winter how his all pans out.

Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.