Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I need some education and opinions on titanium actions. What are the weight and other advantages over a milled down Rem 700? Are there any with other than 90 degree bolt lifts and possibly 3 position safeties? Which one would be best for a low ejection angle that would work well with large turret scopes mounted low? What are some considered the best that I could review more info on. I don't know much about them in general and want to educate myself.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A Pierce Ti receiver is 16oz lighter than a factory 700. Don't know about a 3 lug, but a PT&G 3 POS safety can be added but is heavier. A heavy scope?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
A Pierce Ti receiver is 16oz lighter than a factory 700. Don't know about a 3 lug, but a PT&G 3 POS safety can be added but is heavier. A heavy scope?

Not extremely heavy,but I would like to use a NF NXS 2.5-10X42 on my next rifle. Just asking because I have a couple rifles,one Sako and a Forbes that will hit a turret with empties and sometimes bounce them back in the ejection port. They both work fine with low profile capped turrets but wouldn't with the NXS.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Might want to ask this gentleman. Some good info on weight in the ad that may be useful for your decision making process. Not mine; no affiliation other than I've been lusting after it for a couple of days...
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...ium-action-krieger-barrel-mcmill.194745/

Last edited by AKwolverine; 12/10/17. Reason: Double Ds
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FYI,

Fierce have a Triad 3-lug Ti but only seem to offer rifles....action is modelled on Sako 85.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For reference, how much does a Rem 700Ti short action receiver weigh as compared to a standard 700 SA?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
May want to check with gunwerks about pierce TI actions.. had enough problems with them that they openly cut them. Two of My hunting partner had them and pierce has them shipped back with lug and bolt issues and talked about issues with how they cut the ti.

"life is tough... It's even tougher when your stupid"

The Duke
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Don't know about the actual weights, but My 98 Taconic Titanium never had any problems. All metal is Titanium except the barrel. This includes the receiver, bolt, bottom metal, screws and sling hardware. I believe that Satterlee still markets these actions.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You might want to look at a more versatile scope.
http://marchscopes.com/hunting-25-25-x-42-scopes.html
A 2.5X25power is hard to beat.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 12/12/17.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
For reference, how much does a Rem 700Ti short action receiver weigh as compared to a standard 700 SA?

I believe it's between 5-6 oz's

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

I believe it's between 5-6 oz's

Yep, that's about right. 6 oz is what I remember being the difference when I had compared a couple of 7/08 barreled actions a while back.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Stuart Satterlee of Satterlee Arms in South Dakota makes a titanium Model 98 that is a thing of beauty.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Stuart Satterlee of Satterlee Arms in South Dakota makes a titanium Model 98 that is a thing of beauty.

I believe James Anderson and Stu built them in the olden days. I believe it was Taconic Arms in New York. When the money man changed his mind Stu continued to make them in SD and James set up his custom shop in Newell, SD. Stu's receivers are a work of art and James may be the best custom maker in the land at the present.
My Satterlie action.They are not inexpensive.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The big problem is Satterlee treats his customers like rubbish and has proven time and time again what a liar he is.
He cannot be trusted.
Excuse after excuse, lies compounded by more lies, and then his victim sob story that a long list of screwed customers
call his dishonesty out.

All anyone has to do is a search of Accurate Reloading and NitroExpress forums to find he is high on the schite list.
and has been for some considerable years.

For the record, Satterlee actions have had a history of cracking bolts.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Starman
long list

Are you on this list?

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The big problem is Satterlee treats his customers like rubbish and has proven time and time again what a liar he is.
He cannot be trusted.
Excuse after excuse, lies compounded by more lies, and then his victim sob story that a long list of screwed customers
call his dishonesty out.

All anyone has to do is a search of Accurate Reloading and NitroExpress forums to find he is high on the schite list.

Not my experience at all. I'll ask as James did, are you on the list?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

Do you have any personal experience with those March scopes? I've read a little about them but not much info available and I honestly don't think I will ever need anywhere close to that much magnification. I know the Nightforce may not be necessary either in a hunting rifle and the reticles could definitely be more hunter friendly,but I wanted to try something that would inspire higher confidence in mechanical reliability.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Do you have any personal experience with those March scopes? I've read a little about them but not much info available and I honestly don't think I will ever need anywhere close to that much magnification. I know the Nightforce may not be necessary either in a hunting rifle and the reticles could definitely be more hunter friendly,but I wanted to try something that would inspire higher confidence in mechanical reliability.

They have a 1-10X variable. http://marchscopes.com/hunting.html bullets.com https://www.bullets.com/shop/brand_march-optics. bullets.com is the North and South American distributors for March. Very popular in competition as they are bullet proof.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
He cannot be trusted.
call his dishonesty out.

My personal experience with Stuart Satterlee is just the opposite. Thus far, he has built two (2) rifles for me that were delivered on time, as promised. One rifle, a .338, was sent to Superior Ammunition for load development. Superior said the barrel would exhibit bad copper fouling after just a few shots and in their opinion, was defective. Stuart cheerfully replaced the barrel at his expense, refinished the rifle, and once load development was complete, returned the rifle to me via next day air at considerable expense, which again he paid for. The bad barrel, from a reputable premium barrel maker, was not Stuart's fault. I selected the barrel maker, as I wanted a lightweight stainless barrel with cut rifling.

Once I received the completed rifle, it was a thing of beauty and shot under an inch with the ammunition from Superior. I took it on a Namibian hunt a couple of months later and bagged a nice leopard, plus about a dozen species of PG. It worked perfectly on the hunt.

Based on my my personal experience with him, Stuart Satterlee is a real craftsman and an honorable businessman. I would not hesitate to order another rifle from him.

Starman, are your negative comments the result of personal experience with Stuart or based on what you've read, as you allege, on other forums?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.