Print Thread
Hop To
S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I getting ready to invest in a CZ 17 Hornet. I want to make sure I can spot my own shots on prairie dogs. Will I be able to do so with the sporter barrel or should I spring for the extra weight of the varmint version?

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Skinner: I have shot three different Rifles in caliber 17 Hornet - sadly all three of them were heavy barrel Varmint models (two Ruger 77/17 V/T's and one CZ) I was spotted my shots with all of these on Ground Squirrels!
I will venture a guess here and say if you went with the sporter weight barrel and held a firm grip on that Rifles forearm you would be able to spot your hits.
Now for some un-requested advice - I would opt for the Ruger 77/17 V/T Hornet heavy barrel over anything else - especially for my uses (Ground Squirrels and Prairie Dogs).
In fact I have two Ruger 77/17 Hornet rotary magazines on hand right now along with a set of brand new 17 Hornet dies and two packages of Hornady 17 Hornet brass - I just have not come across a Ruger 77/17 Hornet for sale recently.
My good friend Mark from SW Washington state is in the process of buying a CZ 17 Hornet and he is opting for the heavy barrel model as well.
And this - I prefer the added mass (weight) of heavy barrel Rifles for all my Colony Varmint Rifles (both rimfire and centerfire) - the added mass helps in obtaining more hits (more fun!) under field conditions.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you sir. Since I will only be carrying it from the truck to the bench I think I will go with the varmint model. I wish you good luck on finding a Ruger.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I can easily spot my shots with my sporter-weight CZ 527 .17 Hornet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Mule Deer,

Thanks for your reply. So I suppose there is really nothing to be gained by opting for the heavier barrel.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There might be, by my rifle shoots very accurately with several loads (including factory), which all shoot to the same point-of-impact as well. I've also found any Hornet-based round recoils so lightly I can spot my own shots, even in rifles as light as 7-1/4 pounds, the weight of my Brno .22 K-Hornet. And I don't grip 'em hard.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have the Varmint model.

Its like a laser. Dang thing does not move at all.

I am a big guy, the Varmint does not seem like a big rifle. When I carry the Sporter model it looks like a BB gun.

I am MAGA.
S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Jim,

I'm not that big of a guy. So if I get the sporter model it will look ok while I'm carrying it but a varmint model would look like a cannon? Lol!
Thank you all for your responses.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good luck with which ever one you get. You are going to like it!

I fully plan to get a Sporter model someday. That way I have a rifle for the close shots to go along with the long shot rifle. wink

I am MAGA.
S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like a plan!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Varmint barrel, its not much more than a magnum contour..

My buds have the CZ 527 204 in heavy barrel version, I bet my skinny barrel BDL weighs more. The CZ has a narrower forearm than most HB guns, more like a sporter style forearm.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday on the varmint model. I will let you all know how it works out when I get it.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by skinner
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday on the varmint model. I will let you all know how it works out when I get it.

You're gonna love it. I just got this one in 204:

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
When the .17 Hornet was introduced, it was stated to have the recoil impulse of a .22 Magnum (WMR). That was a major part of the advertising effort. When you figure the 11-12gr. of powder, and most likely a 20gr. bullet, there's just not enough to generate much recoil. Damned sweet, if you ask me.

That's not enough to worry about. I have the American, and wouldn't change anything at all. It's just dandy, as is.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by skinner

Good luck!

CZ makes a fine rifle.

I had to monkey with my extractor a bit when I got mine, but other than that it has been great.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
So Skinner. Any update on your purchase? I have been looking at the exact same thing. 17 hornet in the American or the Varmint. Haven’t decided which though.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You will be happy camper. Have one in 17H and 204, sold a 17HMR in a weak moment, great rifles.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have the 527 sporter in17. When we shot pdogs in Kansas it was my favorite rifle and we took several. No problem watching hits, I have a 4x12 vx II on mine and all the shots were off a harris bipods (just so you have an idea of extra weight on the rifle) It is one of my favorite varmint rifles in my arsenal. Light, shoots great, set trigger, strikes like lightening. It simply explodes starlings. Took several pdogs and ghogs at 250-300yrds no problem.

S
skinner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

I finally decided on the varmint model. I think I made the right choice for my use. I am having problems with the extractor though. The cartridge is not wanting to slide up the bolt face without a lot of force. I have tweeked it and it's getting better but it's still not as smooth as I would like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Varmintguy- Gunbroker currently has several Ruger 77/17 Hornets auctioning now. Most are NIB with laminate stocks. Guns International has a few too. Happy gun shopping 🐱🦊🐰

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.