-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wish the Judge worked, but it doesn't. As such, I wish that Smith would come out with a 3" chambered model. The Judge chambered in 3" with a five shot cylinder and 3" barrel is very handy. You combine that with Smith's Scandium frame and you would have something. 45 ACP capability is nice but I'd rather have the 3" .410 if I could trade. The Judge seems heavier but is more compact due to its slimmer profile, being five-shot.

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by cotis
I am seriously thinking about purchasing a stainless S&W Governor to use as a "snake" gun while in the field. Does anyone have experience with them? I love my other S&W revolvers, enough that I am willing to pay more for a Smith vs. a Taurus Judge. I am also a lefty, so any experience with holsters would be beneficial also. Thanks

Am never interested in gimmickry? use the money to buy CCI or learn to load snake shot capsules for one of your favorite Smith 38, 357, 44, or 45's. smile

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I am seriously thinking about purchasing a stainless S&W Governor to use as a "snake" gun while in the field. Does anyone have experience with them? I love my other S&W revolvers, enough that I am willing to pay more for a Smith vs. a Taurus Judge. I am also a lefty, so any experience with holsters would be beneficial also. Thanks
The Governor is an excellent gun. It shoots surprisingly well with 45 Colt. I seldom use mine with 45 ACP, but you have the capability and it comes with the needed moon and "third-moon" clips.

The Governor is surprisingly light for its size. It is compact enough to carry concealed in the winter or with bulky clothing. It's only drawback in this respect is its robust girth. It is only available in 2 1/2" chambering, so there's that.

I carry mine in the tractor all the time during the summer. Unfortunately I've never shot a snake with it because I've not seen very many the past few years. I've had the Governor since it came out. I've had three Judges and none worked, so I applaud your decision to go with the S&W.

Holsters are available from Galco, as was said. They are also made by DeSantis, who I think makes them for S&W themselves. I've got a custom-made one myself and would post a pic of it if PB hadn't done dirty deeds to those of us with accounts and my computer with the pics on it hadn't went south a month or so ago. I like my holster, but if I were to do it again I'd get a S&W if available locally and since it probably wouldn't be, I'd get a DeSantis, which probably would.

FWIW I don't think the version you are looking at is stainless. It is just a silver version of the original. Both are made of Scandium Alloy but do have stainless barrels.

When I handled the Governor at the shop a few weeks ago for the first time, I was struck by how light it felt in my hand compared to what I expected.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't recall the weights, but a Governor "feels" lighter than a Judge of comparable size. It also feels a lot lighter than say a Mountain Gun which is approximately the same size. I'm thinking the Governor is about 30 oz., but I may be mistaken. It is a sporty proposition somewhat, with heavy .410's. I've never shot any really heavy 45 Colt's in it, and won't, but I've never experienced uncomfortable recoil with them or 45 auto's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500

Am never interested in gimmickry? use the money to buy CCI or learn to load snake shot capsules for one of your favorite Smith 38, 357, 44, or 45's. smile
The .410 is simply superior to the ones you mention. I wish Smith could come out with the 28 Ga. version, but the ATF wouldn't allow it at the last minute, after having approved it initially.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

The .410 is simply superior to the ones you mention. I wish Smith could come out with the 28 Ga. version, but the ATF wouldn't allow it at the last minute, after having approved it initially.

I think they have some sort of policy decision that says there has to be a non-shotgun caliber that will fit in it for it to also accept a shotgun round. Biggest that fits that rule is a .410/.45. Basically, it's a loophole, because it's (in theory) a .45 Colt with a long enough chamber so as to fit a .410 shotgun round. If it were marketed as a handgun .410 shotgun, it would be an NFA item. That's why they can't have any large gauges, because there aren't any standard rounds that match up with a shotgun shell. Even if there were, it wouldn't be legal, because said standard round would exceed .50 caliber, which is barred also by US law in anything but a shotgun shell.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hawk, I think the NFA issue is with smooth bore pistols and revolvers. It can be done, but with the paperwork and a $200 tax.

If I bought a Governor the bore would be really rough and I'd have to fire lap it a couple hundred times...

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
Hawk, I think the NFA issue is with smooth bore pistols and revolvers. It can be done, but with the paperwork and a $200 tax.

If I bought a Governor the bore would be really rough and I'd have to fire lap it a couple hundred times...

Taurus wouldn't bother making it if it was only available as an NFA item in the US.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bother making which? To my knowledge all the Judge models are rifled.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG

They wouldn't bother making the 28 gauge model if it were strictly an NFA item in the US.

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JOG

They wouldn't bother making the 28 gauge model if it were strictly an NFA item in the US.

Apparently we're talking about two different things - sorry for the confusion.

Robert Frost
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

True, but for snake shootin they'll all do just fine with the added bonus of having a coat pocket full of speed loaders with accurate SD/big game loads for one of the Smiths.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
True, but for snake shootin they'll all do just fine with the added bonus of having a coat pocket full of speed loaders with accurate SD/big game loads for one of the Smiths.

lol...Gunner, you gotta be as big as they say you are. You're the only poster that consistently talks about carrying more than one handgun at a time, along with speed loaders or extra magazines. Probably doesn't even "print" on your clothing. I gotta meet you one day.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, six two and 255 aint that big, but yes, we gotta meet someday, you're ever through here bounce a rock offa my doghouse. smile

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
LOL, six two and 255 aint that big, but yes, we gotta meet someday, you're ever through here bounce a rock offa my doghouse. smile

He's bigger than the stats would indicate! smile

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by NH K9

He's bigger than the stats would indicate! smile

Yeah, but You and Bobby are fast ;]

I did the exact thing MD is laughing about, went up to Ft. Chaffee last Winter to visit some old Buds passing through, under my Carhartt coat was a 4" barreled Colt Trooper 357 mag with four speedloaders in the left coat pocket, those high-tech cutting edge boys woulda laughed me off base had they seen what I was carrying. blush

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I think they have some sort of policy decision that says there has to be a non-shotgun caliber that will fit in it for it to also accept a shotgun round. Biggest that fits that rule is a .410/.45. Basically, it's a loophole, because it's (in theory) a .45 Colt with a long enough chamber so as to fit a .410 shotgun round. If it were marketed as a handgun .410 shotgun, it would be an NFA item. That's why they can't have any large gauges, because there aren't any standard rounds that match up with a shotgun shell. Even if there were, it wouldn't be legal, because said standard round would exceed .50 caliber, which is barred also by US law in anything but a shotgun shell.

Then somebody needs to get busy on the 54 Special revolver cartridge. Brass case, 209 primer, a 425 grain 54 caliber Great Plains Bullet and about 120 grains of 2F Black to get it rolling.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Then somebody needs to get busy on the 54 Special revolver cartridge. Brass case, 209 primer, a 425 grain 54 caliber Great Plains Bullet and about 120 grains of 2F Black to get it rolling.

Sounds cool, but I think it's against Federal law to have a gun that accepts cartridges with bullets of over .50 caliber, except for slugs for shotgun shells. The Feds have chosen, in their infinite wisdom, to classify such weapons as destructive devices rather than as firearms. I think the exceptions are grandfathered-in rifles like old .600 NE elephant guns and such. No newly made firearms, though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder about that determination. I brought this up at an internal Wa. State firearm training class for instructors. It backs up your statement at least in Wa state law. They explained that over 50 caliber was illegal to hunt with except black powder. I asked about a 12 guage slugs which are 72 caliber? I was told shot guns are exempt as well as Black Powder. Then I asked the definition of a Rifle and was told it was any blah blah blah with a rifled bore. So then I asked again what about a shotgun with a slug from a shotgun with a rifled barrel or rifled choke tube? A shotgun becomes a rifle if the barrel is rifled. No question about that and no debate according the the Attorney General they asked about this.

Ah ha........ That had them completely stumped. I do not think this is a federal law, I think it's by state. There are countless Searcy 700 nitro express double rifles made brand new today and soldbrand new today that are available pretty easy if you have the big bucks to buy one!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The federal regulation has an exception for firearms with cartridge greater than .50 caliber that are "generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes". That's how the new 700 Nitro express avoids NFA status and the Ithaca Street Sweeper does not.

Robert Frost
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.