Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500

True, but for snake shootin they'll all do just fine with the added bonus of having a coat pocket full of speed loaders with accurate SD/big game loads for one of the Smiths.
The Governor isn't my first choice for hunting, but it would probably be more than accurate enough to kill a deer. As for hoodlum-shooting, it is more accurate than you would think and at combat distances it would be just as good as a model 25 with 45 Colts or ACP's. I am not selling them, but they are good guns and most knocking them have no experience with them. I'm certainly cool with anybody who wants to stay with what they already have, but these are viable alternatives with added advantages.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I wonder about that determination. I brought this up at an internal Wa. State firearm training class for instructors. It backs up your statement at least in Wa state law. They explained that over 50 caliber was illegal to hunt with except black powder. I asked about a 12 guage slugs which are 72 caliber? I was told shot guns are exempt as well as Black Powder. Then I asked the definition of a Rifle and was told it was any blah blah blah with a rifled bore. So then I asked again what about a shotgun with a slug from a shotgun with a rifled barrel or rifled choke tube? A shotgun becomes a rifle if the barrel is rifled. No question about that and no debate according the the Attorney General they asked about this.

Ah ha........ That had them completely stumped. I do not think this is a federal law, I think it's by state. There are countless Searcy 700 nitro express double rifles made brand new today and soldbrand new today that are available pretty easy if you have the big bucks to buy one!

Interesting. I guess you'd know, given your profession. I sure thought over .50 caliber cartridge firearms were classified as destructive devices, apart from shotguns.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I sure thought over .50 caliber cartridge firearms were classified as destructive devices, apart from shotguns.

Read all the way to the end (emphasis mine):

§ 479.11 Meaning of terms.

Destructive device.
(a) Any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (1) bomb, (2) grenade, (3) rocket having a propellent charge of more than 4 ounces, (4) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (5) mine, or (6) similar device; (b) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Director finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (c) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as described in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this definition and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term shall not include any device which is neither designed or redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army under 10 U.S.C. 4684(2), 4685, or 4686, or any device which the Director finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Give them a lot of arbitrary leeway.

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I ordered the Governor. Hopefully it will arrive in a week

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cotis

I hope you enjoy it and it is all you expect. Let us know.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Same here Ethan, I'm looking forward to a range report with particular interest in 45 ACP & 45 Colt at 25 yards or more,

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Same here Ethan, I'm looking forward to a range report with particular interest in 45 ACP & 45 Colt at 25 yards or more,

I've not shot it for accuracy, but I've put a lot of 45 acp through mine at a 12x12 steel plate at 25 yards. No problem keeping them all on it rapid fire but again, just blasting away, not really trying to be precise. Haven't put any Colt through it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I practice with mine, it's generally from 7 yards. No problems up close like that. The sights on the Governor are certainly not a strong point.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I picked the pistol up last night. Grabagun shipped out quickly and FFL was quick as well. I hope to mess with it this weekend and will report more. 1st impressions = very pleased

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.