Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have decided to document my play with a rifle if picked up for restoration and education purposes. Before I begin, I want to mention Jeff Germain and Mike Watson have been longsuffering through this with advise on parts and more. Thanks guys.

The overall condition of the piece was fair, to be charitable. The hammer was broken, extractor did not. Suffice to say a previous owner must have owned a pipe wrench, pliers, and a chisel and gunsmithed with them liberally on this gun. How can this kind of thinking be OK?

A new hammer and extractors were found, fit , and installed. (Thanks Jeff and Mike.) The feed ramp and rear of the barrel needed to be ground and polished to make any ammo feed. The chisel-gunsmithing the area has received had buggered things up very badly. I made a action and barrel vise and removed the .303 barrel. The condition of the barrel has always been a real question. After an inspection, it seemed better than I first hoped, but worn, oversized or both.

With all of the stars aligning I function tested the rifle at the range yesterday. It feeds and functions, but every single .308 diameter bullet keyholed at 25 yards. The few .311 bullets I had printed into about 3-4" and did not seem to keyhole. I re-slugged the barrel, again, finding the grooves measure .316 diameter. Lands are difficult to measure but appear to be .308. This somewhat explains the behavior with .308 & .311 bullets.

I have contemplated replacing, reboring, the barrel, but frankly the value just isn't there unless I just want to piddle with it. Still, the barrel has rifling the full length and my gut tells me it might just shoot Ok, That is, if I can find bullets large enough to gain purchase in the bore yet still fit in the .303 cases. Unsized, foreformed cases appear to accept a .315-.316 slug, but dummy rounds, so loaded are difficult to chamber and extraction.

Other than .32 pistol bullet the options for appropriate bullets are slim. I have considered 32 pistol bullets, the .316 Stopring bullet for the 8.15x46R, re-sized, .318 bullets (8mm J), even paper patched .308 bullets. Ideas are welcome.

Regard the project as a whole and if I can address the accuracy problem, it is at least theoretically possible to refurbish the rifle to a functional status, appropriate for a rifle built in 1903. I am good with wood and perform rust bluing in my shop, so the finish could be fixed. It is also good that of the appropriate parts are still still there and are all serial numbered to the receiver. So the project should not replace anything, unless there was no other option.

Alternately, if I can not solve the accuracy and functional problems, this may become a parts gun.

As I said when I started this post, the purpose was to document the project and to thank the good Samaritans who have been helping me.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the story and I will "stayed tuned to this station" for updates. Best of luck!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have the talent or patience to restore anything so admire your effort. I do have an early 1899b 30 SAV (30-30) that is at a gunsmiths. Someone had taken action apart and also totally messed up rotary magazine. Hopefully it is a functional firearm when completed providing years of service for owners down the road, the cost will simply be written off as part of Savage Syndrome.
BillR

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Have the barrel re bored and chambered to 35- 303 sav? I know it's been done to a few 30-30s over the years that had worn out bores. A call to Reboreing by Jes would tell you if it's possible or if there are other options.

Lee.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Polecat,

I did speak to JES. Yes, a 35/303 is possible. JES gets $225 for the rebore. Not bad, but more than I paid for the rifle. This course leads me to thinking, "huh, if it do that then I should make it an Ackley improved version of the 35/303 to improver feeding and performance. That means custom dies, and a question whether it would require any changes to the the spool magazine. I don;t want to go there because the gorilla with the pipe wrench, chisel, and pliers buggered the screw holding the mag together so well, it is doubtful God could get them apart. Like BillR suggested this is probably an advanced case of Savage-itis combined with Ackleyism. Dan

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well, I truly admire your effort! It's a pleasure to work with someone of your apparent skill set.

I think this poor old relic belongs on the wall or such. It sounds like a money pit to me. There are probably more deserving projects ahead.

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Wondering if you are using cast bullets?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's great progress Dan! I'd vote for cast bullet experiments too. 8mm jacketed bullets seem kinda risky option for creating too much (disastrous!) case pressure. I think you've got it right about the cost of wild-catting, you'll throw a lot of money at a project that might be better spent on a new barrel (talk to CTW). If you keep your intentions on the learning it will all be well spent time and money.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Memory says the early 8x57 version used a .316 or .318 diameter bullet the 8x57J ?? Might be worth some research

A quick google search shows you can but the .316 cast bullet pretty reasonable

http://westernbullet.com/316oversize30.html

Last edited by ctw; 12/10/17. Reason: Added info

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
ctw sounds like he has a receiver wrench for Savage 1899, 99's. I wonder what it looks like. One gye uses two thick 1" slabs of aluminum on either side of the action for lever actions, likely supported in the middle w/a 3rd piece ,shoring up the inside of the action. I wanted to say I had a SRC .303 that had a pipe wrench used in a failed attempt to remove the barrel. It would be nice to think there is enough meat left around the chamber to support the likely lower pressures of the .303 Savage. Someday soon? I 'll put up a picture -pipe wrench teeth aren't too deep- - in my mind. ( Maybe if I peen everything back in place everything will be Ok ).

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree with the cast bullet idea. You should be able to get some cast bullets swaged to the correct diameter somewhere. That's a whole lot easier and cheaper than a rebarrel or rebore project. Savage Syndrome, more properly Savage Obsession Syndrome, is a virulent disease! I know from experience!

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everything I've ever seen says the 303 Savage should have a .300" bore with .004" rifling. If yours is slugging out at .316" with good rifling, I'd be thinking somebody at some time rebored the rifle - or at least recut rifling on a shot out barrel. I can see being off by a couple thousands, but by 8/1000th is huge in the gun world.

I say rebarrel, rebore to 35-303, or make it a wall hanger.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe we are establishing why the 30-30 outran the 303. I just don't hear this kind of chatter with the 30-30.

Last edited by Fireball2; 12/11/17.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I believe we are establishing why the 30-30 outran the 303. I just don't hear this kind of chatter with the 30-30.

Really? Odd, I had a WInchester 1894 made in 1898 that keyholed bullets at 50 yards.

Shot out barrels will do that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Were Savage 303 bores always made to the same specs, and wear is accounting for the large variation in bore sizes we see?

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Were Savage 303 bores always made to the same specs, and wear is accounting for the large variation in bore sizes we see?

I guess you'll need to give me more information on the large variation of bore sizes that we see. This is a sample of one, that the owner admits was bubba'd tremendously before he got it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun

I guess you'll need to give me more information on the large variation of bore sizes that we see. This is a sample of one, that the owner admits was bubba'd tremendously before he got it.

Bubba didn't change the bore size.

.308-.316 sound right?

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a barrel stamped 32-40, but it is a 32 Win Special chamber.

Obviously then, the factory chambering really sucked?

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I wonder if the 32 special reamer will clean up a 32-40 chamber? Will have to look into that

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm sure it will, Chris.

There's a special place in hell reserved for all the Bubbas who re-chambered Savage .32-40's to .32 Special. I can see the utility in it, but still...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 62 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.