Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
New to hunting and looking for some good reading/listening material. Has anyone heard some good hunting podcasts, or read any good books lately?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome. Is there a certain theme or region or type of hunting knowledge you're looking to gain, or is it more hunting adventure stories thst you're looking for?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Don't believe any of the lying bastards here. Including me.... smile

Welcome.

Read everything you can about the animals you are interested in - or clones. Much of what I learned about hunting moose I gained from reading about white-tail deer hunting. Similar habitats and habits. Somewhat different forage and ranges.

Spend as much time as you can out in the beyond off season, just observing.

As for the "ancients"- read Capstick, Bell, Raurk, O'Conner, Jobson, et al. Keep in mind everyone has opinions which color their writings. Any number of how-to books out there.

Good for basic background, but never let that get in front of personal experience, when you gain it.

Keep in mind that what you have observed/ learned , does not necessarily negate theirs.

Last edited by las; 12/10/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
mad beaver....... hope you're not on the rag.lots of info here.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Two authors I would add to las ‘s list are Sell and Keith.. The others relied heavily on guides.. Sell was a great still hunter in the northwest, and Elmer was a guide himself for many years..

Molon Labe
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My error, Bell was his own guide.. But a poacher..

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
http://www.safaripress.com

Safari Press has a selection of books covering hunting around the world.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Meat Eater.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Randy Newburg has both a great YouTube channel, as well as an excellent podcast. The vast majority of Randy’s shows deal with hunting public land out West. He has also had two TV programs: On Your Own Adventures, and Fresh Tracks.... I believe most of the episodes are available on his YouTube channel.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
All he needs is a 6.5 Creedmoor, it knows all. Sees all!!!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It might help if you could give a little more info about yourself. Where are you from?

What kind of hunting are you interested in?

Eastern whitetails?

Rocky mountains?

Alaska?

All locations are different and there's a lot more.

I sent you an article on elk hunting in Colorado.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never let yourself be caught in the company of a 270. They're gay grin

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks guys for all the info- Im hunting in the western foothills and rockies, mostly for mule deer and elk. I watched some of Randy Newberg's video's and they are excellent. Also read Steve Rennella's book called ultimate guide to hunting and found it very informative. Keep it coming, if there are more things you guys enjoy watching please let me know. Tracks- i had to laugh at the 270 comment. I don't have a 270....but bought a 280 Rem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't add much in books or authors, but I would suggest learning to read animal signs. (Prints, behaviors, needs, routines at dawn and dusk, anatomy of the animals you have interest in, Ect.) Knowing just where to hit what on each animal. What THEY can see, smell, detect, where thier weaknesses lie. How to tell the diffrence between male and female bedding, trails, and behaviors.
The better you understand the animal, the more successful the hunt. If I can be of assistance, simply ask. Most folks here are friendly, helpful , and Knowledgeable. Some few just like to argue. (You'll know them soon enough. )

Stay and be welcome.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Read The Big Book of Big Game Hunting. The author John Barsness is a very active member of this forum and is very helpful. It's an informative and entertaining read.

http://riflesandrecipes.com/product/big-book-big-game-hunting/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing I've never seen mentioned anywhere regarding Elk that you may be able to work to your advantage.
This is from a lot of observation.
If an Elk has it in mind to go to a place, he or she is damned well going to go there. It may require a detour or some major rerouting, but it's going to go there.
The trick is to work out what it's thinking and put yourself in the way.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Meat Eater.

x2, keep waiting for Netflix to add another season. Only hunting show Ive ever enjoyed.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Skip the stupid automatic feeder blind hunts and go straight to the mountains where the real hunting takes place.

I've enjoyed many local authors that produce small paperback books specific to their area and game. My favorite is blacktail deer so I look for anything I can find on hunting them. There's a difference between 99% of the people that hunt any given animal and the 1% that are really good at it. Find the 1% and dog them mercilessly until you take what you can glean from them and develop your own hunting style from there.

It sounds cliche, but hunt how and what you like the most, when and where you want to spend your time the most, and you will love being there so much that the success will follow you like yellow jackets in summer.

One thing I've done now that I've got a few decades under my belt, is I ask myself when out hunting, "What are the odds this will work? Has it worked before and how often?" I put a percentage on it, and then I try to stick to the highest percentage hunts. I'm not just looking to kill game, but to enjoy my time the most, so I take my satisfaction with time spent into account, not just game killed. If I like hunting blue grouse in September in the high country but I never get one, I go anyway.

The way I always look at hunting is, you can't win if you don't play, and you might as well go if you have a tag, gas, and time off.

I'm sure if you figure out what you love and keep doing it, game will fall for you. Good luck!

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On TV (Netflix has 2 seasons). Meat Eater by Steven Rinella
To read: the Ted Trueblood Hunting Treasury
Jack O'Connor stuff
As hokey as it sounds, The Deer Hunters Bible, The small Game and Varmint Hunters Bible, etc are all pretty well written, cover all the basics, and are usually written by known authors. I have no idea about the new ones or even if they are in print, but the old ones are a great place to start without being overwhelmed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,035
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.