Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rick99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As a follow up to CTW's posting on installing a left hand safety...

How I shoot hand guns and long guns...
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 12/11/17

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Shoot left handed, Left eye Dom. but right handed, can shoot right hand also!

Last edited by saddlering; 12/11/17.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlering
Shoot left handed, Left eye Dom. but right handed, can shoot right hand also!

Same here, left eye dominant but right handed. And I shoot rifles both right handed or left handed as long as it has a scope, also. It's just the open or peep sights that I need to do left handed. Well, I can do a peep sight right-handed if I have a patch on my left eye. That's fine for qualifying, but not really workable in the field.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The most frustrating students of trap/skeet shooting I ever dealt with were a couple guys who were right handed but left eye dominant. It was hell getting them them to learn to shoot left handed- that can be learned by most, with difficulty, but you simply can't reverse the eye dominance. To hit moving targets with any degree of consistency one must swing the gun on the same side shoulder that the dominant eye is on.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm also "cross-eyed"--strongly right handed and strongly left eye dominant (this is called "cross-dominance" but I don't use that term much....). Took me years and truckloads of missed easy wingshots to figure it out, but now I just shut my left eye when shooting handguns and put a little tape dot on the focal point of my left eye on my shooting glasses when bird hunting. Both work fine and my efforts to learn to shoot left handed were simply scary dangerous!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Remove my left hand and I won't survive long.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm what used to be the norm, right eye dominant and shoot right-handed.
As a hunter ed teacher for over 30 years, I can tell you the number of left eye dominant right-handed shooters is increasing. Why??? Possibly more awareness, although we always tested for it in class? Easy to make work with rifles, use a scope or peep sight. Shotgun shooting still causes problems as students only shoot for 1 or 2 days with class and can't learn to shoot left handed that fast. Shooting glasses with 1/2" dot in center of left lens helps but hard to get shooters to use. And I have no clue how pistol shooters work it out as we never shot pistols them in class.

Last edited by Savageupnorth; 12/11/17.

Bruce
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I shoot and write Lefty. I do everything else right handed.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hang low and left.

LOL
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Right eye dominant ,shoot right never tried to shoot lefty

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savageupnorth
I'm what used to be the norm, right eye dominant and shoot right-handed.
As a hunter ed teacher for over 30 years, I can tell you the number of left eye dominant right-handed shooters is increasing. Why??? Possibly more awareness, although we always tested for it in class? Easy to make work with rifles, use a scope or peep sight. Shotgun shooting still causes problems as students only shoot for 1 or 2 days with class and can't learn to shoot left handed that fast. Shooting glasses with 1/2" dot in center of left lens helps but hard to get shooters to use. And I have no clue how pistol shooters work it out as we never shot pistols them in class.

I went through hunter safety in Junior High and it was never mentioned. Tried bird hunting for 7 years and sucked before I finally went off to Basic Training and learned my problem. I really don't think that many people knew about this back then.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

As a southpaw, I wonder how many of the right-handed but left eye dominent folks were "changed" to using the right hand as young children.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by satx78247
To All,

As a southpaw, I wonder how many of the right-handed but left eye dominent folks were "changed" to using the right hand as young children.

yours, tex

It happens, and somebody who is fairly ambidextrous to start with can make the switch to right handed. But eye dominance is not physically or genetically linked to hand dominance, they usually match but not always. I'm very left eye dominant, and also very right handed - trust me that I was never, ever possibly left handed. Two of my 3 boys are right-handed and right-eye dominant, the youngest is like me.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mom said I was a lefty as a little one , but was made to use stuff right handed. when I was almost 18 I broke my right Elbow on a dirt bike, it was screwed togather, so I was in a cast for most of 9 months. was easy to do stuff left handed.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am left handed with about everything.
I am right eye dominant so I have shot right handed guns all my life. Thank god my dad was smart enough to test me before letting me shoot.
I will shoot a magnum revolvers with my left hand and aim with my right eye because my left hand and wrist are stronger.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
RH

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Right eye dominant, but ambidextrious with rifle and shotgun. I shoot handguns with the right hand, shotguns I prefer the left side but can break them with the right as well, rifles I have switched from left to right due to getting into shootin M1 Garands, and M1A's. I didn't fill out the questionaire due to the lack of options.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Calhoun,

When I was in 1st grade, "Mrs Short" used to make me try to write right-handed & paddled me, if she caught me using my left hand.

My mother found out & that "conversion attempt" came to a screeching halt. = I just wonder how many other kids that that happened to.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 12/11/17. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Shoot, throw, write, eat, etc. lefty, but I play the guitar right-handed crazy

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmmmmm...

All you lefties are in good company. A partial list of famous people who are also left handed: Obama, Bill Clinton, John McCain, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Hugo Chavez, NY Mayor Bloomberg, Oprah Winfrey. Just saying... whistle grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 18 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.