Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have all frame sizes mentioned above, the G26 sized frame is easier for me to conceal than a G19 sized frame, the G43 is easier than the G26 sized frame. Most days these days I carry a 27 with a plus 2 extension which is still shorter in the grip than a 19, I like my 43 and its more comfortable to carry than the thicker guns but I just these days feel more comfortable with more cartridges in the gun. This is not my photo of my pistols but serves to illustrate the point.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they are truly honest, most people shooting the G26 side by side with the G43 will prefer shooting the G26 & generally shoot it better.

In practical terms, the G26 is really no harder to carry than the G43 as the G43 is NOT a pocket gun so by the time they are both holstered, there's really no clear carry advantage with the 43..............which would be the only real reason for its existence.

The 43 tries to fill a gap that doesn't exist except in some people's minds & loony-ism wink.

MM

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
If they are truly honest, most people shooting the G26 side by side with the G43 will prefer shooting the G26 & generally shoot it better.

In practical terms, the G26 is really no harder to carry than the G43 as the G43 is NOT a pocket gun so by the time they are both holstered, there's really no clear carry advantage with the 43..............which would be the only real reason for its existence.

The 43 tries to fill a gap that doesn't exist except in some people's minds & loony-ism wink.

MM

I disagree completely. I've owned several G26s over the years and have sold them all because I didn't find them any easier to conceal than a G19. The G43 on the other hand completely disappears anywhere I carry it - IWB, OWB, appendix, and I do pocket carry it on occasion. To each his own, but in my opinion the G43 is a winner and the G26 is the tweener gun that doesn't have a place in my battery.

Last edited by jds44; 12/11/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, you know what they say about opinions............................. grin

In a Remora holster, the 26/27 completely disappears for me; I'm 6'1" 225 lb..........................wimpy guys may have more trouble with concealment though. wink

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jds44
I've owned several G26s over the years and have sold them all because I didn't find them any easier to conceal than a G19. The G43 on the other hand completely disappears anywhere I carry it - IWB, OWB, appendix, and I do pocket carry it on occasion. To each his own, but in my opinion the G43 is a winner and the G26 is the tweener gun that doesn't have a place in my battery.

Exactly.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I am not talking about standing in front of a mirror with arms at side but about walking deliberately down the street, or doing stuff like bending over.

A lot of guys don't know they're printing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by okie john
After having been through most of the Glock catalog, I carry a G19 most of the time with a G43 for times that the G19 is too big. Here's what I've learned:
1. The G26 has most of the drawbacks of the G43 and most of the drawbacks of the G19.
2. The G19 conceals as well as a G26 and I shoot it as well as a G17.
3. The G26/G43 are slower to reload than the larger Glocks. The magazines do not fall free on reloads, so I plan to strip the magazine out of both of them during reloads.
4. The G26/G43 are both very accurate in slow fire, but are much harder to shoot well quickly than larger pistols.

In the Larry Vickers video review of the G43, one of the first things he says is basically, "The G43 is good for some things, but carry a G19 if you possibly can." I'd have to say that I agree.

Okie John

Your post raises valid points, but I disagree that the 19 conceals as well as the 26. I have a 19. I carry both my 26 and my 19 in Milt Sparks Criterion holsters worn in the same spot. It is noticeably easier to hide the 26 under an untucked polo shirt because of the length of the grip. I am not talking about standing in a mirror with arms at side but about walking deliberately down the street, or doing stuff like bending over.

A CCW person also must consider the weight differential, which is not only the gun but also includes the support gear. The loaded 26 weighs 26.2 ounces compared to 30.6 ounces for the 19. With each gun in its holster, the 26 loaded weighs 32 ounces and the 19 weights 37.2 ounces. A loaded spare 10 round 26 magazine weighs 6.4 ounces compared to 9.1 ounces for the 19. (The 43 weighs 21.9 ounces loaded, 25.5 ounces loaded in a TT Gunleather Mike’s Special, and a spare 6 round magazine weighs 4.4 ounces. The holster is not as good in the concealment department as a Criterion, so I cannot do a good CCW comparison until I receive the Criterion I have on order.)

Size does matter, but it is a question of degree, and everyone has to figure out what works for them.

This is good advice...it's also a classic example of how people perceive things differently. I happen to agree with okie john, but Cheyennne really feels there is a very noticeable difference. And while I don't really notice the things he mentions, HE certainly does notice the difference. There is a lot of "feel" to concealed carry, and that "feel" can get pretty subjective from person to person.

Point being, you can take the advice of okie john and Cheyenne as good advice even though it's a little contradictory. Both are giving good advice, and chances are you will find yourself in agreement with one or the other after a few weeks of daily carry. But the only way you're going to know which side you fall on is by carrying all day long for a few weeks to develop some solid preferences and opinions.

Excellent post by Cheyenne, follow-up by Kevin & I completely agree, based on carrying the guns he's discussed as well as various weight & size Beretta's & 1911's.

While I'd surely rather be shooting a G19, G23, G17, Beretta 92 full size or compact, 1911. LWT or all steel, Commander or Govt., size & weight do matter.

Concealment, within reasonably acceptable parameters, is not difficult, depending on attire, but size & weight cannot be ignored no matter the dress code.

Whenever in doubt, I will always lean toward, & prefer the bigger gun..............it's just that sometimes that doesn't work best for a given situation.

While the G26/27 is as small as I routinely want to carry there are a few occasions when I need to drop down to a J-frame or even a Ruger LCP II, but that's not my preference for EDC...................just necessary sometimes.

As with holster selection & preference is a very personal choice, so is the actual gun an equally personal preference.............................guess that's why there are so many variants to pick from.

MM

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I own a G43 and a G27, the 27 is thicker but no more difficult to carry than the 43. I have G19’s and G17 but the butt is longer and the longer barrel makes the gun less comfortable to carry when sitting, plus it’s a bit harder to conceal. You might be surprised at how well you can shoot the 27.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The only subcompact Glock I ever had was the one in 40 S&W, which I guess is the 27. I didn’t shoot it very well. I like more grip to hold onto. I also didn’t think it carried comfortably, but then it could have been that particular holster. This was quite a few years ago, and for all I know, if I got another one today I’d feel completely different about it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree that without the pierce mag extensions I would not like the gun as well. Many years ago I had a gen two 26 and felt I did not shoot it well, I have relearned my grip on the glocks and I hit better with any of them now. It may seem odd but I think the shorter barrel glocks are pretty accurate.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Normal size to large hands need the mag extensions with the 26/27's. Makes a world of difference.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like you have decided on the weapon. Personally, a Glock has never impressed me. If you like 1911 controls, you can get those features in the Sig P938. It comes in 9mm and feeds reliably. I have fairly large hands, but this little friend fills my hand and does not feel like a small pistol. Anyhow, it is one option for a bit over $500.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Normal size to large hands need the mag extensions with the 26/27's. Makes a world of difference.

MM

Agreed. And when you lay the mag-extended 26/27 on top of an old, no-rail G19 or 23...

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

MM

The gun market is different all over, but around here the G26 and G27 are mostly called "trade-ins".

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO

MM

Agreed. And when you lay the mag-extended 26/27 on top of an old, no-rail G19 or 23...

Yep, now you're talking a grip length about like the compact Glocks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
See jimmyp's pic a couple of pages back...............& carry whatever suits you.

Maybe a 8 3/8" Model 29, eh?

MM

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe a 8 3/8" Model 29, eh?

'That's not a gun, THIS is a gun.'

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Bullet selection: Modern propellants seem to have minimized the need for longer barrels in handguns (not eliminated, just minimized), so I use Hornady Critical Defense. As a fellow rifle guy, you'll probably agree with me that handguns are huge compromises, and I just haven't been convinced that 10 grains more or less of bullet weight out of a 4 inch or less barrel makes all that much difference. YMMV

G26 vs G43: I have both. If you carry the G26, have a backup G19 (15 round) magazine in your hip pocket, just in case. That's pretty much the only benefit. I carried a G26 as a backup to my duty weapon, so that in case of failure, I could continue the fight with my G26 and my duty G17 mags. That said, the G43 WITHOUT the little pinky rest extension will disappear in your pocket, especially with a Blueforce Gear or Remora pocket holster. Carry the biggest gun you can, but if you have to go light, that slim little G43 is tough to beat. Even going out to get the paper when you're still in sweatpants or whatever, the option of having that pocket rocket is very nice.

Guns to avoid: Most guns have improved past what they were, but every manufacturer turns out the occasional "Friday afternoon" gun, where the QC just isn't there. Glock, S&W (sometimes), and Sig are all tough to beat. Remember, good enough is actually usually pretty good. For instance, I used to drive a Toyota Camry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sig 938

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG

The gun market is different all over, but around here the G26 and G27 are mostly called "trade-ins".

Actually, I agree with that.................many novices & a lot of women are led into those guns & the 40, especially, can be right sporty to shoot, much less shoot well.

And so they become unhappy with the gun due to no fault of the gun itself; but it's surely not a novice gun or a gun for the vast majority of women.

Saw a guy come into one of my buddy's shop one day & obviously he was attempting to be a manly man in front of his equally obvious novice girlfriend/wife & insisting that she (who clearly stated she had never fired a pistol) buy a G27 since a 9mm was just not enough gun for her oor anyone else.

MM

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.