Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
scroll engraving on the receivers? Any made w/o?

Serial range for the Speigels? TY

LOL
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can search past threads and there is plenty of info on Spiegels.

"Spiegel" seems to cover a group of rifles that may have been Spiegels, or salesman samples, etc.
Features varied, some checked, some scroll engraved, some D&T, some combo. (it's Savage, remember)

Mine happens to be 377xxx/ 1937. No scroll, D&T behind rear sight on barrel.

btw - it's an EG w/o checking, 303, handles nice and shoots great.

Last edited by Southern_WI_Savage; 12/11/17.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It gets a bit confusing when you get into examples that don't have the "engraving", since those look very similar to a regular EG and the extra holes could have happened after market (I have a prewar 99R in 250-3000 that has those d&t holes - obviously NOT a Speigel EG grin).

But somebody did dig up a Speigel catalog page showing the EG with the d&t holes and sling studs but no "engraving", so there are some non-stamped Speigels out there.

My notes are at home on the variations, but Rick has detailed them a couple times in the past.

Here's one thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9679134/1

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The majority of Speigel's won't letter because there are no log entries for the serial range. What we call Speigel rifles as they appear in the Speigel catalogs have the roll engraving, one of two checkering styles, sling swivels in specific locations and factory D&T'd scope base holes.

There are rifles with different combinations of the above characteristics. Were they sold through Speigel...don't know. Were all Speigel style rifles sold through Speigel...don't know.

I use the Speigel term more as a reference for identifying what characteristics, plus or minus, that the rifle has. Even if it has a Speigel disc with it you can't be sure as the disc was not shipped attached to the rifle so it is possible that it came with another Speigel purchased firearm.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of variations, I know where two of these guns are in 30-30 and they both have checkering on the pads and a diamond checkered pattern around the fore,end screw. Both rifles are otherwise original in excellent condition. Again, the exception of the checkered pads and checkering around the screw. Both patterns are exactly identical. These two guns are 2000 miles apart, and within a 1000 of each other serial number wise. I have come to the conclusion that these left the factory that way. They are just too identical, and there have been so many combinations/variations of this particular gun.

I have 2 of them. One in 300 and the other 303. The 303, while wearing a stith, killed a nice buck 2 years ago.

I would like to get one in 30-30 someday. Or a checkered EG in 30-30.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here ya go, Roy. You can decide if that gun matches this Spiegel ad.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roy, note that Rick's (Southern_WI_Savage) rifle characteristics and serial range are very close to the one in your link.

Rick...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Regardless of that rifle having been sold by "Herr Speigel", its a cool old 99!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Here ya go, Roy. You can decide if that gun matches this Spiegel ad.

[Linked Image]

Well crap, I'm into 420/430 shotguns and now I'll have to find the Speigel version. Crap, crap and double crap!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are some Spiegel pages with dates -speigel-99-related

Originally Posted by Rick99
The majority of Speigel's won't letter because there are no log entries for the serial range.
Might be because they're logged as Spiegel's and not as Speigel's - take note Roy. grin PS, it took me awhile to remember just how it was spelled, probabaly still some old posts of mine out there with it wrong. I see Rick (from WI) had it right, even put it in quotes.

Last edited by GeneB; 12/12/17.

Gene
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I did notice the error in my spelling Gene and thank you for helping! I appreciate it.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will add that I recently acquired a 1933 Fall & Winter Spiegel catalog and it does not have any 99's listed, the 1934 listed a standard carbine so 1934 might have been the first years Spiegel started selling 99's, my next catalog is 1937 and by then they had 99's with some special features (not yet 'engraved').

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gene, "carbine" as in a barrel band 99-H? Any indication that any of these earlier 99's were D&T'd.

I'm guilty of misspelling Spiegel and a lot of other words... blush

Rick...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick, no mention of 'drilled & tapped for standard scope block' like in later catalogs, other guns weren't listed as such either - they also did not have their own version of Mossberg scopes at that time. in later catalog where they offered scopes most of the guns were listed as drilled & tapped for standard scope blocks, the only way their offered versions of Mossberg scopes could be mounted.

[Linked Image]

Gene
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GeneB
Rick, no mention of 'drilled & tapped for standard scope block' like in later catalogs, other guns weren't listed as such either - they also did not have their own version of Mossberg scopes at that time. in later catalog where they offered scopes most of the guns were listed as drilled & tapped for standard scope blocks, the only way their offered versions of Mossberg scopes could be mounted.

[Linked Image]

I came across a canvas case today that could have been a mate to the one in the ad above in a junk box. I can't swear to it because I didn't have this photo with me, but at least it's very close. Come to think of it it had a pouch with a wooden cleaning rod in it, so it may have been a little different. I picked up a leather folding knife sheath, a box of .358 brass, an uncheckered Savage 99 takedown forearm for a featherweight barrel, the Boone/Saturn boxes with peep and instructions, and a box of mixed 22 mag ammo all for $12 out of the junk box. I bet the canvas case would go cheap too.

Last edited by Fireball2; 12/12/17.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
D&T behind rear sight on barrel.

behind, under, or in front of the rear sight?

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
D&T behind rear sight on barrel.

behind, under, or in front of the rear sight?

Behind the rear sight dovetail.
Would be hidden if rear sight (flat top Sporter) is present.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a barrel band drilled the same as the spiegel serial number 357431

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a gap in the Spiegel catalog info - missing 1935 to 1937 Spring & Summer - some where in that range they started having the guns drilled & tapped for scopes, so it's possible they may have offered barrel bands that way.

I was collecting this information to research the 22 pumps they offered - 1934 has the 'Stevens Peerless' theses were not drilled & tapped for scope block, 1937 Fall & Winter has the 'Stevens Model 29' - these were drilled & tapped for scope blocks, between these two models (based on serial numbers) I have the 'Springfield Repeater' (model 29 action) drilled & tapped and the 'Stevens Model 75-A' (29-A action) drilled & tapped, without catalogs I can't say for sure these were Spiegel guns but they share certain features not found on other models including being drilled & tapped the same and would fall in the 1935 to 1937 range based on model & serial numbers.

Last edited by GeneB; 12/13/17. Reason: correction

Gene
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 16 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.