Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
In the "real" world of collecting, $750.00 is chump change.

True statement. Cost calculators are N/A.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
99 production dropped from 12,000 in 1928 to 1300 in 1934. Yes it was hard to sell firearms then and I'm sure a lot of Savage employees got laid off.
On a similar note the wife of one of Harley-Davidson's top executives had to clean houses for a living during the depression. It seems like he was working for no salary just to do his part to keep the company going. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyo1895
On a similar note the wife of one of Harley-Davidson's top executives had to clean houses for a living during the depression. It seems like he was working for no salary just to do his part to keep the company going. David

Yea, we're OT here but, I lived on Lake Ripley in Cambridge WI for ~20 years and the "Davidsons" place was across the lake. Still is. Harley Davidson HQ is an hour east of here.
Additionally, Ole Evinrude and family lived here as well and there is a historical marker documenting the invention of the very first outboard boat motor. (google Paul Harvey story, for "the rest of the story")Not to mention the state record large mouth bass caught here. I'm a history buff, what can I say?

Last edited by Southern_WI_Savage; 12/15/17.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
99 production dropped from 12,000 in 1928 to 1300 in 1934. Yes it was hard to sell firearms then and I'm sure a lot of Savage employees got laid off.

During the depression, I would guess that Savage laid off many employees and kept the best of the best employed ... perhaps that is why those rifles of this period are so nice. I think some of the highest quality 99s were made then; I expecially like the Rs, RSs, Ts and Hs of that period.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 12/15/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have three EG's that I consider to fall into this category, two have the roll engravings and one does not. They are all drilled for the same type of bases. They all have the same sling swivels, which I believe to be unique to these rifles .I have not seen any other firearms with these swivels . The rifle not engraved is the earliest(359xxx) which ill letter as soon as savage catches up with the lettering. I fitted a weaver base on the front that brings the ring rearward over the top of the receiver and just used the regular #14 weaver on the rear utilizing just one screw and this works fine

plab

Gotta love them 303's
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keith, very good point about the quality of the rifles during that period. I have several made in that period and will have to get them out and look them over. David

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Keith, very good point about the quality of the rifles during that period. I have several made in that period and will have to get them out and look them over. David

Yeah, interesting thought about Savage keeping on it's best hands and letting the rest go. On the other hand, you might speculate they kept the cheapest labor on hand and let the old timers go.

But I bet you're right.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seniority may have entered into who got laid off rather than ability.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Yeah, and how could that kind of thinking ever go wrong huh? frown Fast forward to today with all the entitlement mentality we have running rampant.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KeithNyst

During the depression, I would guess that Savage laid off many employees and kept the best of the best employed ... perhaps that is why those rifles of this period are so nice. I think some of the highest quality 99s were made then; I expecially like the Rs, RSs, Ts and Hs of that period.

Possibly, however a business in financial distress first priority is $$$. High dollar cuts are what is made.
Also, it is pretty hard to argue that rifles 1899 - WWI were anything short of fit, form & functional art.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have been with the same company since 1975. May will make it 43 years. I have never once been laid off. I got my seniority BECAUSE of my ability.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 11 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.