Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone used this combination on game? I worked up some loads using the 139 Scenar and the 140 Accubond and both shot amazing groups just trying to decide which one to go with. The BC is quite a bit higher on the Scenar which makes me want to run it but can’t find any testimonials of its performance on game only comments where guys plan to load some up.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd use a match bullet for match shooting and shoot bullets designed for shooting animals for shooting animals. What is the difference in BC and what difference does it make at the ranges you anticipate killing animals?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Has anyone used this combination on game? I worked up some loads using the 139 Scenar and the 140 Accubond and both shot amazing groups just trying to decide which one to go with. The BC is quite a bit higher on the Scenar which makes me want to run it but can’t find any testimonials of its performance on game only comments where guys plan to load some up.
I put a 139 Scenar from a 6.5x55 into a middling size bull moose (1000+ pounds) a few years ago. The shot came at about 75 yards and its terminal performance was exceptional. It's an excellent bullet on targets and flesh/bone. I've not put the 136 grain Scenar into an animal yet, but I would like to if for nothing else than to have some reliable feedback on its terminal abilities. My shooting with the 136 on steel and other inanimate objects leads me to believe that it will be more of the same.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
PM Pat (Scenarshooter) about the 139 Scenar and how it works on game animals.

I’m convinced.

DF

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can understand being hesitant about using a target bullet for hunting. But in this case I've seen enough to convince me it'll work.

Check out this thread if in doubt.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...via-scenar-bullet-pix-please#Post4977783

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Both of you should read the thread "Deceased via Scenar" and you both will be enlightened.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’d read that thread before, it led me to run 155’s in the 06. Didn’t remember there being so many 6.5 Scenar posts in there, probably because I had no interest in it at the time. thanks for reminding me of it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That thread prompted me to give the 139 Scenar a try in my 6.5 Swede. From a couple weeks ago - 40 yard shot tight behind shoulder exited breaking offside shoulder. Exit hole was small - could just work a finger into it, lungs were completely liquefied and top of heart was gone. I've heard they work well at long range too whistle I would expect similar results in the Creedmoor...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGray
That thread prompted me to give the 139 Scenar a try in my 6.5 Swede. From a couple weeks ago - 40 yard shot tight behind shoulder exited breaking offside shoulder. Exit hole was small - could just work a finger into it, lungs were completely liquefied and top of heart was gone. I've heard they work well at long range too whistle I would expect similar results in the Creedmoor...

[Linked Image]

Nice! Thanks for the report.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
I can understand being hesitant about using a target bullet for hunting. But in this case I've seen enough to convince me it'll work.

Consider me a convert. I went through the first 15 or so pages. I believe that bullet is better than adequate for hunting. I wonder how though. The cross sections I have seen show a comparatively thin jacket a small opening and a substantial cavity. When I read about Sierra match bullets being used for hunting, I don't see the same almost universal praise, yet the bullets appear very similar in construction. What's Lapua's secret?

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Consider me a convert. I went through the first 15 or so pages. I believe that bullet is better than adequate for hunting. I wonder how though. The cross sections I have seen show a comparatively thin jacket a small opening and a substantial cavity. When I read about Sierra match bullets being used for hunting, I don't see the same almost universal praise, yet the bullets appear very similar in construction. What's Lapua's secret?

I, too, was concerned about the thin jacket.

I think it must be the lead alloy and hardness.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I, too, was concerned about the thin jacket.

I think it must be the lead alloy and hardness.

DF

A lot of those Scenars were driven all the way through large animals at MAGNUM velocities. That bullet is unquestionably tough. Tough and accurate. What's not to like?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tough and accurate, with a high BC for lighter weights like the 30 cal 155, 6.5 mm 123, and 7 mm 150. And short ogives that make it easier to seat the bullet near the lands within magazine constraints.

Last edited by smokepole; 12/12/17.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The 123 Scenar is one of the tightest shooting bullets in my 6.5 Creed. The 139 is the best so far in my Swede.

After Pat's extended experience with Scenars for hunting, what's not to like.

Accurate with great terminal performance. Who cares if it's a target bullet, it works like a champ on game.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Typical performance from my 260 is caliber-sized hole going in, golfball-sized exit. Penetration is never a concern and expansion is always obvious. I think the hollow front end gives them delayed expansion similar to bergers.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cast10K
Typical performance from my 260 is caliber-sized hole going in, golfball-sized exit. Penetration is never a concern and expansion is always obvious. I think the hollow front end gives them delayed expansion similar to bergers.

They seem to be tougher than Bergers.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always thought the jackets on the Scenar were a bit harder than Berger Jackets.

Be interesting to run a Rockwell test on the two....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I've always thought the jackets on the Scenar were a bit harder than Berger Jackets.

Be interesting to run a Rockwell test on the two....

Pat,

You think a harder jacket could contribute to that much difference in terminal performance?

Wouldn't it also take harder lead alloy to make the Scenar that much tougher than some other target type bullets with similar jacket thickness?

It's hard to argue with success. They seem to have bullet making pretty well figured out.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Might be the ogive like the Bergers that delay expansion some. The Lapua brass is harder than most maybe they use a similar harder alloy for the jackets.

Pat just made a new convert of me. I will give the 139 - 6.5 a try for next year in my Swede. The 130 Bergers are deadly but a little too explosive for my use at shorter ranges.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Can someone please illustrate me on the differences between the Scenar, and the Scenar "L".

I was going to place my order and noticed about an "L" version I had not heard.

I will be using them for hunting, in a 6.5 mm cartridge with a 1-8" twist.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
527 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.