Print Thread
Hop To
S
slm9s Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a bravo co 16" recce upper that I never use. It is a few years old and has the quad-rail type handguard which I wish to replace with a smoother m-lock (?) type.

Anyone have any favorites to recommend? I like the look of the longer than factory look - like a 13" handguard with the 16" barrel.

Is this an item where a generic $70 item works as well as a $180 version, or 'you get what you pay for' situation?

Any special tools needed to switch them? I've never done it before.

Thanks in advance.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like 15”hand guards and lightweight. The diameter is something to pay attention to. The thinner ones are pretty comfortable. Lots of options, I look for sales.

NRA Life Member
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have 13" rails on my 16" barrels. I have Troy Alpha's and a BCM keymod, the original magnesium alloy rail. It's very light but not as strong as the alpha version BCM is offering now in MLok. I still love it but it ain't cheap. Midwest Industries offers some good light weight rails that are comparable. I'd avoid cheap Chinese airsoft junk but you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good rail. Just ma make sure they have an anti rotation feature that works and make sure your accessories aren't gonna fall off. Other than that, if you like it buy it.

You will need a few tools, check out some videos on Brownells or YouTube.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, they're definitely not all made the same. Whether or not it matters is a different issue, but they're not all the same.

I prefer mine a little thicker than the BCM and Midwest rails, but that's just personal preference.

The ALG rails are my favorite.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have gone the ALG route lately as well.

They fit my mitts!

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ALG would be my recommendation for less than $200.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm a fan of the BCM and Midwest rails, because they are thinner and because of the mounting system. I really like the clamp style of attachment (like Midwest and some others) better than the type where the handguard is held to the barrel nut with small screws.

It's all personal preference, but some are definitely better than others, and cost doesn't necessarily correlate in my experience.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It’s hard to beat the ALG for the money

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another ALG fan, and they ran a black friday sale so I bought another 15" for about 115 shipped.

[Linked Image]

Dave

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's a 15 inch MLok for $75. I do not know the seller but it seems to fit what you are looking for as long as the Ruger branding isn't a problem. Good luck.

https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=33541

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yondering
I'm a fan of the BCM and Midwest rails, because they are thinner and because of the mounting system. I really like the clamp style of attachment (like Midwest and some others) better than the type where the handguard is held to the barrel nut with small screws.

I completely agree BCM and Midwest are the way to go. You do get what you pay for. I have a Lancer carbon fiber one I'm pretty happy with as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have never replaced a handguard. Factory ones seem to work for me.

Sam......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by slm9s
I have a bravo co 16" recce upper that I never use. It is a few years old and has the quad-rail type handguard which I wish to replace with a smoother m-lock (?) type.

Anyone have any favorites to recommend? I like the look of the longer than factory look - like a 13" handguard with the 16" barrel.

Is this an item where a generic $70 item works as well as a $180 version, or 'you get what you pay for' situation?

Any special tools needed to switch them? I've never done it before.

Thanks in advance.

I have used the Guntec handguards with no issue but thought I would try one of these,they are made in the USA and look good.
I have not actually used them yet but for tis price I bought 2 of them and looking at them they look good with no flaws.
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Matrix-Arms-AR-15-Foxtrot-KeyMod-Handguard-p/ma-foxtrot.htm

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My favorite one to date is the JP Signature, only down side is the price.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,105
Posts18,464,217
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.