Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
REM-Oil is good stuff. I think the only possibility for me to be using WD-40 would be if I had a spray can in my pocket and a gate in the cattle yard was creating an awful squeaking sound... But then I'd have to have a can of WD-40 in my pocket.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like my guns too much to have ever used that crap on 'em

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger

I decided to turn (in and out) the engagement, the spring and the over travel. The over travel and the engagement adjustment seemed fine. The spring/tension however, not so much. There was no spring pressure. The engagement varied from each time I pulled the trigger there was no evidence of spring pressure. I didn’t know for sure but suspected the spring was so gummed up that it would not function.
I took the trigger off, installed an aftermarket trigger. Maybe someday I’ll soak that trigger in Kroil or carb Cleaner or...
( I used to take these triggers apart and inspect, repair if necessary. Due to arthritis and several damaged fingers over the years and difficulty I have getting that safety lever back on, I no longer do such work. )

My assumption is that WD-40 sold another rifle. I wonder how much work gunsmiths get from shooters/hunters using of such products???

I shouldn’t bitch. I now have a very nice old (the way I like them) BDL.

Let me get this straight - the trigger spring had a problem. You replaced the original trigger. Then without even bothering to look at the problem spring you decided that WD-40 must be the cause without a shred of evidence. That's some Olympic class jumping to conclusions.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If you do any amount of varnishing and have had to deal with fisheyes in the finish due to molecules of WD-40 in the air, then you would have as much disdain for it as I do. I don't allow WD-40 (or any other aerosol "lubricant-like" stuff) within 50 feet of where I work.

I've heard the same from auto body shops.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There will be someone along soon to tell us the whole fish-eye thing is fake and all that stuff we shun is good!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is the WD 40 "special" the same? It had a high rating for corrosion resistance on one test. But so did Hornaday One shot and no problems with it so far at all.

Only time I have used WD40 on a gun is one that fell in the drink and that was the only lube I had around. Wiped it all off and then cleaned with carb cleaner after I got home.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by Bugger

I decided to turn (in and out) the engagement, the spring and the over travel. The over travel and the engagement adjustment seemed fine. The spring/tension however, not so much. There was no spring pressure. The engagement varied from each time I pulled the trigger there was no evidence of spring pressure. I didn’t know for sure but suspected the spring was so gummed up that it would not function.
I took the trigger off, installed an aftermarket trigger. Maybe someday I’ll soak that trigger in Kroil or carb Cleaner or...
( I used to take these triggers apart and inspect, repair if necessary. Due to arthritis and several damaged fingers over the years and difficulty I have getting that safety lever back on, I no longer do such work. )

My assumption is that WD-40 sold another rifle. I wonder how much work gunsmiths get from shooters/hunters using of such products???

I shouldn’t bitch. I now have a very nice old (the way I like them) BDL.

Let me get this straight - the trigger spring had a problem. You replaced the original trigger. Then without even bothering to look at the problem spring you decided that WD-40 must be the cause without a shred of evidence. That's some Olympic class jumping to conclusions.

I guess I should have said my assumption is that WD-40 sold another rifle, sorry.
The problems were:
1. The bolt release was locked in place.
2. The first trigger pull was way high 8+ pounds.
3. When I cleaned the trigger with carb cleaner, the fluid that came out of the trigger was black as dark coffee.
4. When I cleaned the spring and having cleaned the trigger thoroughly and used a decent cleaning agent and lubricant the trigger worked as it should.

My mistake it was the spring. Thanks for you acute observation.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I owe you an apology Sitka

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WD-40 works great as a rust preventive for my garden tools.

I hate aerosol oil for guns. Cleaned up a number of guns for folks where too much Rem oil mixed with dust and carbon to make a heavy sludge stopping things up. Even people who knew better couldn't resist a couple extra squirts into the action.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by nighthawk
WD-40 works great as a rust preventive for my garden tools.

I hate aerosol oil for guns. Cleaned up a number of guns for folks where too much Rem oil mixed with dust and carbon to make a heavy sludge stopping things up. Even people who knew better couldn't resist a couple extra squirts into the action.

that's why I hard crome my bolts, no oil needed

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
Is the WD 40 "special" the same? It had a high rating for corrosion resistance on one test.

No. In addition to the classical blue can WD-40, the WD-40 company offers several specialized products, including one specifically designed for rust prevention.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gemby58
that's why I hard crome my bolts, no oil needed

Actually with modern firearms little lubrication is needed. And inside the action where does it go that people think they need to keep adding more?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have noticed that some of the Walker triggers that come into the shop after experiencing an AD, are gummed up from WD-40 type varnish. It has helped me sell a lot of Timney and Shilen triggers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WD-40 was designed to dry out electric circuits. It does not conduct, but will bind with water then evaporate. It leave a film behind that helps prevent water damage in the future. It truly sucks as a lubricant, because that is not it's main purpose.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BWS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We do right much finishing,spraybooth...$$$ sprayguns,yadayada.There's different degrees of contamination but,the bttm line is,why take a chance?WD IS,a known contaminate,nuff said.The monies involved with coatings and labor is SO high that most normal thinking finishers just don't risk it.

Last edited by BWS; 12/23/17.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 86 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.