-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One time I was hunting deer in a housing development most times the neighbors didn't seem to mind the report of my 222 but did mind that of a larger gun. While sitting there I had a doe smell me and start to circle down wind while snorting. I took the only shoot at the deer that I had which happened to be a shoulder shot. At the shot the deer took off favoring a leg. Half an hour later I got down from my stand and started tracking the deer. There was minimum blood and I eventually jumped the deer out of its bed which only had a bit of blood in it. I'm thinking that the bullet which was a 63 grain sierra failed to penetrate the deer's shoulder and only caused a flesh wound.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by TheKid

All we could figure is that she ran out into the lake and sunk. We searched up and down the shoreline for a couple hours and went back over the blood trail a couple more times but the deer had just vanished.

Had a wounded moose go into a lake,but it floated.

My buddy and I were making a two man Wisconsin drive on a small island in a chain of lakes. He was the driver and I was on stand. A bull moose showed up about 50 yards away and I put the cross hairs behind his shoulder and sent a Hornady 154 grain at him from my M70 7x57. Puff, he disappeared into the underbrush. The sight picture was good and was confident it was a good hit.

I walked over to where I had last seen him and found hair and a small amount of blood. That was it, so I made a couple half circles from that spot, nothing. Heard my buddy whistle on a empty cartridge case and I answered with same. We met up and widened the search area, but multiple moose tracks hindered the search. Finally, one set of tracks looked promising because it looked like the animal would stumble. We followed the tracks to a brushy shoreline of water and could not see where the moose went up or down the shoreline, came back to last set of tracks and figured it went into the water and sank or made it to the other side.

We gave one last look of the area before going after the canoe and check the opposite shore for tracks and I spotted a brown hump in the water. It is at 4 o'clock near the tall thin tree in the foreground of the pic. This moose traveled over 150 yards with a lung shot and a liver hit.

[Linked Image]

I didn't know Wisconsin ever had a Moose season.

They didn't. I referenced a Wisconsin drive metaphorically.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK, gotcha.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ringworm
I wonder, if a deer would have been considered spoiled 200 years ago?

Not sure I follow you?

200 years ago, if a man or men killed a deer and didn't recover it till the next day, would they consider it edible?
I'm pretty sure they would eat it. There's a reason "spices" were so valuable.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You ever eat spoiled meat? It tastes like dog [bleep].

IC B2

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by hanco
I would be scared to look for a wounded bear.

Me too.

But you would.

Last edited by las; 12/10/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
10 years ago I shot a small buck at less than 40 feet. The 44 Mag revolver was sighted and I’d practiced an awful lot. The load was a stout charge of H110 under 240 XTPs.

At the shot he ran down the hill I was hunting straight away from me, got snagged in a barbed wire fence, flipped on his back and “death grunted”.

I took my time getting my stuff together, and as I flung my backpack over my shoulder to walk down and get to work he jumped up and ran off full tilt, tail-down. I spent that day trying to track him and turned up nothing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by hanco
I would be scared to look for a wounded bear.

Me too.

But you would.

Got several different versions of that tee shirt... some more fun than others.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Maybe, but not sure. What does dog [bleep] taste like?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Maybe, but not sure. What does dog [bleep] taste like?

Why spoiled meat of course. laugh

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes 3 bulls with a bow that I know were hit well....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by JPro
I had one old doe leaving chunks of lung the size of a quarter, but it played out and never found her (young pine plantation thicket). On that same stand a few years later, I had the same thing happen and this doe eventually ran out of steam after 500yds of blowing blood and lung goo everywhere. Never seen anything like it in my 29 years of deer hunting. Maybe the deer in that area were just tough mothers.....(150gr and 168gr Nolser NBT .30cal)

I've shot at least 10 times the number of bucks than doe, but doe have always given me the greatest runs.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mike74: No, thank God, not yet anyways (and I have been Hunting for 58+ years now).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As has been mentioned, bullets can deflect after striking flesh. Many years ago, I shot a doe at around 40 yards with a 130 Core Lokt out of a .270. She was pretty much broadside and the only shot I had was the neck. The deer dropped at the shot and upon inspection after hitting the spine in the neck, the bullet had exited the off shoulder. I'm going to guess that the bullet deflected down around 40 degrees. I was lucky in that the bullet hit in an area that killed the deer instantly, but I can definitely see how one could lose a deer due to a similar situation.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I've shot at least 10 times the number of bucks than doe, but doe have always given me the greatest runs.

That certainly has been my experience with antelope does compared to bucks..............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have lost two deer that I thought were well hit.

The first was a 6 pt shot with a 30/30 with 170 gr Federal factory load. I shot it behind the shoulder which left a good blood trail for maybe 100 yards. The trail ended on the shore of a small river which was partially ice covered. A search down stream turned up no sign of the deer over the next couple days. This was particularly painful as even seeing a deer over the season was rare in those days.

The other one was hit with a 54 caliber conical. A doe gave me a nice broadside shot at maybe 25 yards. There was bright lung blood on the snow but it must have been slightly further back than I planned as the deer headed toward the property line, hopped the fence, and made it to the top of a hill before I watched it tip over. That was about 150 yards, maybe a bit more.

The land the deer dropped on was private but the law at the time allowed one to retrieve game if the property was not posted. I decided to walk back a half mile, get the truck, and then drive to the owner's house and drag the deer maybe a couple hundred yards to his driveway. I didn't think this would be a problem as I had talked to the landowner several times in the past during the regular firearms season. Boy, was I wrong. The owner was home but he chewed on me about shooting on his property and told me to leave in no uncertain terms. Before I could get the truck. turned around he had his tractor fired up and headed to where I mentioned the deer was.. Our relations have been pretty frosty since.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That certainly has been my experience with antelope does compared to bucks..............

I once shot an Antelope Doe in the guts with a .270 because I rested my shooting sticks on a rock and the rock moved as I was pulling the trigger. The Doe ran about a thousand yards and joined a band of about 60 other Pronghorn. I watched it for an hour peacefully feeding along with the others! I went into town to get something to eat and came back. Same 60 some odd Antelope eating with absolutely no way to go after them because they were on private. All the sudden after four hours this truck comes across the prairie and starts shooting out the bed of the truck at a nice buck. The herd of 60 split like billiard balls and ten came my way.I was hoping my gutshot Doe was among them but they all ran just fine. They were passing me at about 80-90 yards and I could see the blood stain on the side. I rolled the injured Doe as it ran past me. It had guts hanging out the offside of it because of my earlier shot and after four hours it ran just as well as the rest. I've never seen an animal that tough!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only birds.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two does one year. The first one right in the boiler room. The ranch hand watching with binoculars said she gushed blood at the shot. Puddle of blood at the impact site. But the blood trail slowed down the point that it was impossible to follow. Finally the ranch hand found the place that she started to pump blood again. She had run about 250yds.

The next was a month or so later on a TPW hunt. Busted a doe at about 80yds. Same thing as the first, except I never found her.

.270 with 130gr BT.

Kelly
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
only one. grabbed the wrong box of ammo in the dark and got ABC target bullets for my Bob. i was hunting just outside of Bob Petersen's ranch in southern California. hit a nice buck and followed little 1/8th inch drops of blood for a couple hundred yards long enough to know his tracks. blood ran out and i followed his tracks across the California Aquaduct and out into the Antelope Valley.
after 4-5 miles of no blood and him still going like he was heading for Tehachapi i gave up. killed 3 Mohave green's on that trip though.
tracked one my sister shot the front leg off, in the snow, and lost him after 2 days and 6 people looking. found where he rested the stump in the snow until it froze up and no more blood. joined a group and never did find him. Sis still mourns that one.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.