Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Doc7 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello all,

Looking into my first western hunt. I have been researching like crazy and am very excited.

However I have somehow been able to come up with questions that I can’t find answers to on the FAQ on their website or anywhere else.

For sake of argument let’s say we are only talking Type 1 Any Antelope Tags and Type 6 Doe/Fawn Tags, rather than some of the more limited seasons/location tags available. Also for sake of argument, my application for next fall is a “Party” app because I have 2 committed friends who are excited about it so we want to apply for Doe tags with high recent chances of drawing success and public access.

I believe we should also apply for Any Antelope Tags.

Are the Any Antelope Type 1s separate application than the Doe / Fawn tag? Like can we put a Type 1 as a first choice on one application and a Type 6 as first choice on a second application? Or are Doe tags typically always 2nd/3rd choice Tags?

How does this sentence make sense “Hunters may purchase up to four doe/fawn antelope licenses, only two of which can be obtained through the draw“. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting

Once you got your first choice, how could you get a second tag through the draw? It doesn’t seem to me that you get your first and your second choice, once your first choice hits your app is removed from the pool.

GB1

D
Doc7 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Here’s another point
Multiple applications for licenses are prohibited
No person shall apply for or receive more than one (1) license for each big game or trophy game species during any one (1) calendar year, except as otherwise provided by law or regulation. N

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wow, I am confused too.. One thing I will say, for doe tags .. Excellent chance for success and lots of public access usually does not exits.. From what I remember when I helped my friends .. All party applicants must have the same selection.. Type 1 area 82 .. The same for doe tags, but they do not have to correspond to the any antelope choice.. But everyone's choices must match .. As for the 3rd and 4th tags, they would be purchased as leftovers after the draw..

Molon Labe
D
Doc7 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
[u][/u]There are several (double digit) Units that had less 1st choice applicants for a doe tag than there were Tags available, with public county road access to BLM lands, with hunter success rates of
75-100%.

Last edited by Doc7; 12/08/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

[Linked Image]

IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Type 1 tags happen through a point draw & type 6 are purely random so there are separate applications, but if you’re primarily going out for a type 1 tag you can make your participation in the type 6 draw contingent upon getting the type 1 first.

You can apply for 2 type 6 tags in the random draw and then if there are leftovers you can get as many as 4 total.

Party applications require the organizing member to arrange his application and then everyone else joins his as a party so aps have to be indentical. This is obviously beneficial if you’re planning to go as a party or not at all, but it does reduce the chances you’d have if you were to apply as invididuals because the party is treated as one ap in the draw vs X number you’d get as individuals.

Points are averaged so if you had 4 members of a party and one had 3 points, another had one, and the remaining two had none you’d enter the draw w/ 1 point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Doc7

Are the Any Antelope Type 1s separate application than the Doe / Fawn tag? Like can we put a Type 1 as a first choice on one application and a Type 6 as first choice on a second application?

Yes and yes. Also, when you apply for the tags, you get a menu of tags for any and all species that you can apply for. So, the list of choices may include stuff like deer, doe/fawn deer, elk, antelerless elk, any antelope, doe/fawn antelope, etc. You should be able to put all of your applications onto one combined application.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here’s another point
Multiple applications for licenses are prohibited
No person shall apply for or receive more than one (1) license for each big game or trophy game species during any one (1) calendar year, except as otherwise provided by law or regulation. N

That is the general rule, which is then changed as it pertains to certain species and areas. The online menu of choices available to you when you apply helps, because it will tell you the things for which you can apply.

The one area in which I am hazy involves the relationship of preference points to party applications. I have never had to deal with that issue. Of course, if no one in your party has preference points, it doesn't matter.

If you call the Game and Fish people in Cheyenne with any questions, they are pretty friendly and helpful.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I'm pretty sure, that if you apply as a party. All apps must be the same. They could reject the whole batch if not.
FIRST ----- TYPE 1
SECOND---TYPE ?---....

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tag

IC B3

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doc

As EFW stated the type 1 and type 6 doe/fawn are separate applications. If you choose you can apply for the type 1 and if not drawn automatically withdrawal the type 6 if you don't want to just hunt does. Or you can even choose a different type 6 unit than your type 1 and use it as a scouting trip for future hunts and fill some doe tags.
Do you or any party members have points?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm in the same process. Our group all has TWO points each. Trying to narrow down our units and figure out this application process.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Here is a tool I’ve found quite helpful when planning out my draw applications:

http://diyhuntingmaps.com/p/wy-antelope-statewide-unit-map.html

In that link the key pieces of information are:

1) in the table under “unit profile” see “variable” labeled “public land” which tells the percentage of the unit is public

2) in the next table down “available license” hit “non-resident” and then (for does/type 6) “random draw” and (for bucks/type 1) “preference points” is default and look for odds on doe/fawn tags and min number of points necessary for type 1

I like to make a table on a legal pad showing different how units I’m considering stack up with regard to all variables so I can weigh them against one another.

Remember that just because there is a good chunk of public land in a unit doesn’t mean you can hunt it. There is a lot of public land in Wyoming that doesn’t butt up to a public road making it on a practical level, unless you have a helicopter, Private.

D
Doc7 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks all. With your help and my own research I have a decent understanding of party applications, preference points, special draws, the “withdrawal option” etc.

My specific question is how does one apply for 2 Doe tags and can they be in the same unit? It’s hard to figure this out without being able to see a paper copy of an application.

Just for giggles let’s say i want to apply (individually) for a buck tag and two Doe tags in unit 22. I know I can apply for 1 and 1 but is it just a drop down that says “how many” on the doe tag application? Or do I fill out two separate apps for the two Doe tags and each one is randomly entered in the drawing?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
EFW,

That site has allot of good information. Thanks. I'm looking for a good spot with two preference points now.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

Just for giggles let’s say i want to apply (individually) for a buck tag and two Doe tags in unit 22. I know I can apply for 1 and 1 but is it just a drop down that says “how many” on the doe tag application? Or do I fill out two separate apps for the two Doe tags and each one is randomly entered in the drawing?

Yes you can apply for 2 in the same area.

I can’t remember exactly how it looks, but I want to say you could apply for a each tag separately or with types separately?

Once the application period opens just go in & play with it.

Definitely call cheyenne & ask about the best way to apply to suit your purpose. Last year I messed up and it cost me doe tags.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all. With your help and my own research I have a decent understanding of party applications, preference points, special draws, the “withdrawal option” etc.

My specific question is how does one apply for 2 Doe tags and can they be in the same unit? It’s hard to figure this out without being able to see a paper copy of an application.

I am pretty sure you get three separate menu items, one for the "any" tag and one for each doe tag. (Yes, they all can be in the same area.) That is because you could decide to hunt different units, or you may try for different 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choices. (For example, in my area there sometimes are type 6 and type 7 doe tags, each with a different start date. I sometimes apply for one tag with type 6 first, type 7 second, and apply for another with type 7 first and type 6 second. That ups my odds of getting at least one.) Each one would be randomly entered into the draw. Your entire party must submit the exact same application, and then, for purposes of the draw, it will be treated as a single hunter who applied for each of the tags listed on the application. If drawn, the entire party gets whatever draws were successful.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.