24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw more deer this than the last several, but it was due to location.
Saw a very small fraction of the deer I would have 25 years ago in this area.
Game Co mission plan is producing bigger bucks, I could give a [bleep].
I only take photos for my kids, never show them outside family. I would rather
see deer and kill meat with the occasional decent buck than sit bored out of my mind.

Of course if there was money to be made on my kind, the policy's would be different.

To each his own.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I was blessed to see a lot of deer this year.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
In our part of WV it was not a good season. Opening day it was so quiet it was almost spooky. Not much better as the first week progressed. I saw a total of 4 deer, all does, after hunting hard all but 1 day of opening week. Each year for the last 3 years it's been progressively worse. The amount of sign is down. Not sure if they way back in the most inaccessible areas or what's happening. Good mast this year. Acorns and nuts hit well. They may have been scattered or the numbers may be way off, I suspect it was both. And the number of fawns seems to be decreasing year by year.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Saw a ton of fawns this year.central Missouri. more than last couple of years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One less in Oregon this year.

LOL
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunt Colorado and saw more big bucks this year than ever. Of course I had a doe tag and saw exactly one so the doe population was not what I am used to experiencing.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Hope to see a lot this weekend!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't think there is any difference in numbers. The weather was screwed up here changing their behavior from what is typical. Many days I spent in the woods I never saw a deer and I would have thought the numbers had dropped drastically except that we had a couple evenings with cold rain and when those happened there were big numbers of deer running around everywhere.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hunt in central Missouri (Eastern Moniteau and Southern Boone counties) and like Hugh above stated, saw more doe and yearlings this year than most. Didn't see as many bucks as some years. But for us, 2017 would be one of our better years for seeing deer while hunting. We would routinely see from 2 to a dozen while bow hunting during early fall. One afternoon/evening during the rifle season I saw 18 different deer. Both the wife and I had nice bucks on the ground by Thursday of rifle season.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We saw only 2 or 3 deer in a 3 day hunt. However, that was counting 36hrs of heavy rain, followed by mud bad enough to get my truck stuck twice. It was horrendous hunting weather.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Much more bucks & does alike.

NYS Catskill region.

-Ken

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Less. Way less. For five years I have been on a campaign to reduce the neighborhood population by killing four/year. The cars were helping out right along too, they were getting ~18-24/year. This year the cars only got 11 and so far I have only killed 2. I would say my local population is down more than 90% now. This is getting down to where it should be. I live in a chunk of land that's about 1/2 section and what we had was about 10x what it could support and we were seeing them starving to death. I should have started a few years before I did.

There are not near enough hunters who live in the area. The area is cut up into small acreages which makes it difficult. The problem is widespread and dispersion will fill in what vacancies exist and in much shorter than I'd like and the numbers will be right back up there again.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here in NE MO, we are seeing more. Lots more. Like 5 times as many as last year, now that we've gone to a 2 day Antlerless season instead of 10.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here in western NYS we seem to enjoy a healthy deer herd. Only thing the seemed different was a higher buck to doe ratio than in past years. Also seemed that in prior years, the does were often in groups of 5 or 6. This year it was 2 or 3, without exception. I have 3 different woods that I hunt that are widely separated.
Have been traveling the last couple of weeks,but hoping to catch the last couple days of muzzleloader season next week. May actually have some snow on the ground, so will be interesting to see what's been going on.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw less deer and only heard shooting on the first day and second Saturday. I actually passed a couple of does I normally would have shot. The herd is down where I hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wisconsin

I saw deer every day I was out in the field. Only one gave me a good shot and he is now in the freezer.
The two years before this season I think I saw 1 deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My corn was picked a lot of the neighbors wasn't at the start of the Wisconsin 9 day gun season so deer sightings were down from previous 2 or 3 years. Yet enough deer so each of the 14 hunters in camp took a deer home.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Hunted Cousin's farm in Delaware Co.,N.Y.( 3 pt. rule). Saw lot's of Deer,but as luck would have it ,saw 3 different forkhorns,two at 20yds the other 35yds.Come back home to Long Island and have Buck's like this in the yard!!!! [Linked Image]

Last edited by sqweeler; 12/14/17.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I’m seeing far fewer deer this year but it’s been the weather more than anything. Crazy winds from all different directions, rain.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I saw fewer deer here as well as in western North and South Dakota this year.....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
794 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 78 invisible), 3,098 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.