Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
dgr416 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This is my 50 th year hunting.here in Georgia for deer .I am hearing way less shots probably a 1/10 as many all season and not seeing.many deer .In.There mountains here there are few I'd any deer on.public land .I.usually hunt middle Georgia and it's getting.old seeing no.deer .I would hate to.be taking.a kid hunting.It's boring not like it use to be .I.would see 30 deer a day in the 1980-2000 then out wonderful fg wiped out the does and the coyotes finished them off .Our four month.deer season with 12 limit is a joke !

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 2015 and 2016 seasons here in north-central LA were terrible regarding seeing deer. The weather and the acorn crop made it really tough after mid-November. This year has been better, not great, but better.....

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
You like periods don't you? We have not been seeing a lot of deer where we hunt in NC. 2 years ago on our lease I would see 10 to 12 deer a day. Last year the sightings were down also. This year I saw 1 deer in 4 days. It does get boring looking at trees.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Chase County, KS at the ranch I normally hunt, the deer numbers seemed significantly down.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Didn't hear near as much shooting during the recently concluded firearms season here in Indiana as I have in previous years. That said my BIL and his son were able to tag a doe each during the archery and firearms season.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been hunting NW GA since mid-October and have been watching a lot of deer. Acorns were heavy so they weren't moving a lot but no problem seeing deer if I focused on the acorns. Took a 9 point a few weeks ago. Seeing deer most every time, waiting on the right ones....numbers seem about the same as the past several years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Way more this year, so much so that we were done in 2 weekends !

4 deer In the freezer.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way more, on our place in NW La. We had a severe coyote problem. So bad, that in the fall of 2014, we didn't see a single young deer. That's when I got after the varmints. 2015, we saw young deer, 2016 more young deer and yearlings, this year, its like old times again.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
About average here in SWVA.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm with JPro, 15 & 16 sucked nuts, this has been a pretty good year so far. Still have another month of hunting.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot more. I think I know why, too. We've been steadily building the herd since about 2013 after poaching had pretty well decimated everything on the ridge. The poachers were chased out about then and things have slowly rebounded. However, this summer was wild and the early fall was incredible.

One of my neighbors kept a monstrous corn pile in the back corner of his property. He sold out in the spring, so all the deer had to scatter to find food. Many came over to my place.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
About average. I saw 25+- deer during our rifle season including 3 bucks. Bear were everywhere.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Decidedly less here in Michigan. The DNR (Department of No Results) is exceeding liberal with seasons and doe permits, and then issued the edict to kill everything some years ago when a deer or two was found with TB. Now it's a deer or two with CWD, and again the edict is kill everything. It's very sad.

Bear numbers however, are higher than I ever remember as a kid. I can't go out a quarter mile without running into fresh bear sign.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here in Northern California for the early season I am fortunate to be invited to hunt a private ranch. The hunting has always been exceptional except for this year. Deer numbers were way down for a number of reasons but one f the main ones is you can no longer hunt bears with hounds. This has had horrible results on the Deer numbers as the Bear population has almost tripled in CA. Along with everybody thinking coyotes would make great pets and the excitement of Wolves showing up Deer numbers have dropped drastically. Of course, the California game commission is rules by anti hunters for the most part and the Fish and Wildlife Dept. wants to do the politically correct game management it no wonder. Did I also mention the cost of Hunting and Fishing licenses which are the highest in the country.

D
dgr416 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Bears ,coyotes and red wolves have wiped out the deer where I use to hunt in the North Georgia mountains .I.guess I.got spoiled in the 80s and 90 it was awesome .You saw a deer every time you.went and it sounded like a war shooting.wise .I.have hunted a ton this season and only.heard 25 shots in two months .I hardly see any road kill any.more and never jump.a deer going.to the stand .I.use to see up.to 500 in a year on our farm in a year .Eight years ago I only saw one buck that really was terrible .I.put.out cameras but they show hardly.any deer are coming..I am not seeing does with.babies at all .I quit shooting does on my.farm eight years ago..I don't.like what's going.on.here .We rode the roads where you.would see hundreds at night many times nothing.There are little areas around towns where people feed them but they are few bad far between .In 1993 my dad and I.were leaving goose hunting.and counted a herd on a pasture on.national forest that had 250 deer last time we saw that ever !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tough winter for us in 16/17 preceded by about 4 dry years in a row. Numbers are down locally (SE Oregon).

1Minute
D
dgr416 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Bears ,coyotes and red wolves have wiped out the deer where I use to hunt in the North Georgia mountains .I.guess I.got spoiled in the 80s and 90 it was awesome .You saw a deer every time you.went and it sounded like a war shooting.wise .I.have hunted a ton this season and only.heard 25 shots in two months .I hardly see any road kill any.more and never jump.a deer going.to the stand .I.use to see up.to 500 in a year on our farm in a year .Eight years ago I only saw one buck that really was terrible .I.put.out cameras but they show hardly.any deer are coming..I am not seeing does with.babies at all .I quit shooting does on my.farm eight years ago..I don't.like what's going.on.here .We rode the roads where you.would see hundreds at night many times nothing.There are little areas around towns where people feed them but they are few bad far between .In 1993 my dad and I.were leaving goose hunting.and counted a herd on a pasture on.national forest that had 250 deer last time we saw that ever !

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Overall where we lease hunt, less. Which is GREAT. There used to be so many they were all runt looking tiny antlers and so on. I"d much rather see a few deer per hunt but those be healthy and quality type deer.

At home many more overall. Because they were shot out and we got antler restrictions around 2004. Those were the best things that ever happened here. Went from seeing a deer now and then, to seeing deer almost every day throughout the year.

As to seasonal, well that varies. THis year less early on but starting to see more again now. But they NEED good crop/mast/browse seasons so that folks don't see them, don't shoot them and some survive a few extra years.

My high school bud, just shot one thats almost 160 incehs. In a place where I used to remember him shooting a 10 inch wide 8 point and being happy...

Shooting wise the days of mass slaughter shoot anything you see opening day are long over shots are much more scattered throughout the season. And thats good for the herd too I think.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lots of deer in Nebraska season, both bucks and does. Lots of does in the Iowa season, but of course, the rut is over

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Plenty in north central part of Nebraska, not so much in east central part of state, at least where I hunt. I have heard some areas were good around here and some not so good.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (2ndwind, aaronward9, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 30 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.