Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R

Hello all, this is my first post here.

I am in the middle of a underhammer project, and I am ready to drill and tap the barrel for the nipple. This is my 2nd one, and a friend driiled and tapped the nipple on the last one, and I cant get in touch with him today.

My question is do I allow the drill that is the root diameter for the tap go all the way into the bore? Basically I am asking is the hole the same diameter from the nipple to the bore?

Thanks guys

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Will keep an eye on this for a spell. If you don't get an answer I'll pull an old one out of the back of the locker and see how it was done....back about 170 years ago,

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
OP Offline
R
Thank you DigitalDan!

I am pretty sure that it is root tap diameter all the way to the bore, but I want to make sure.

Are you a gunsmith DigitalDan?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the nipple going through the barrel into the breech plug, or is located in front of the breech plug?

R
OP Offline
R
RWE,

The nipple will be in front of the breech plug.

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just curious, as some of the ones with a flash chamber in the breech may require some more fore thought.

As for the regular nipple to the bore, I drill all the way at 7/32 and thread the whole thing to 1/4x28.

Then I turn down any excess nipple thread so the nipple is right at groove diameter or slightly less, so the ramrod doesn't bang it up all the time.

R
OP Offline
R
Thank you RWE!

Looks like my memory served me correctly about the root diameter all the way into the bore. This nipple has threads that are 3/16" deep, and my barrel wall thickness is 1/4".

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by retiredLE; 12/10/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by retiredLE
Thank you DigitalDan!

I am pretty sure that it is root tap diameter all the way to the bore, but I want to make sure.

Are you a gunsmith DigitalDan?

No sir, but I got a fair number of wrenches and screw drivers. And chisels and stuff. I'll haul the old wonder out tomorrow and refresh my memory circuits.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 12/10/17.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
OP Offline
R
That is one sweet underhammer!!!!!!!!

How much does she weigh?? I have only held one chunk gun in my life, and I think it was 13.5 lbs.

I can believe they aren't more popular.

Thanks for posting it!!!!

Last edited by retiredLE; 12/10/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Isn't a chunk gun actually. It shoots conicals. Common descriptive vernacular is "slug gun".

It was built by D.A. Hilliard in the general vicinity of Cornish, NH. You can find information about him with a little Google-foo. It is alleged the scope was crafted by a fellow named Rice who was one of the first to build telescopic sights but I have no provenance on that.

.50 caliber, 16" twist with all tools. I have two moulds and hammer die sets, one for a 490 gr pill that vaguely resembles the old sugarloaf picket except it sports a flat base and does not have a radiused heel. The other is for a 650 gr slug. Gun weight is 19#, and that is fairly light for the class and caliber. It uses cross strip paper patch and in calm air has demonstrated ballpark MOA precision at 200 Yds. The bore is without flaw, something I find quite remarkable.

In response to you inquiry, the form of the hole for the nipple is full bore diameter into the chamber. There is no step.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
here's a basic Billinghurst style, nipple to the bore. 22 twist 45.

[Linked Image]

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everytime I see this, I want to get a Whitworth rifled barrel and a Malcom....

Originally Posted by DigitalDan

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a lot of conversation about such things today, but those ol' fellers knew how to dot the "I" and what it took to do it.

There's a bit of discussion about the Jurassic Era of shooting and a fair supply of photos as well, all to be found here: http://wyomingschuetzenunion.com/

One of my distant friends owns a .56 caliber put together by H.V. Perry. Weighs about 45# and launches 1,300 grains of lead (2 piece swagged) with 250 grains of Lord Black. Damn if it don't shoot well.

I am..........disturbed.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
A lot of folks would really benefit reading Ned Robert's classic, " The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle". I enjoyed hell out of it 35 years ago and found my old bug eatin' copy just the other day!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

One of my distant friends owns a .56 caliber put together by H.V. Perry. Weighs about 45# and launches 1,300 grains of lead (2 piece swagged) with 250 grains of Lord Black. Damn if it don't shoot well.

And provides another theory into the extinction of the wooly mammoth....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably. It doesn't have a carriage, so I'm guessing that there was a time when men were men and didn't tolerate trouble makers. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Enough chit chat.

The OP needs to fill us in on the project at hand.

Or face the wrath....

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yes, my "fan o' the Grinner" is correct!

Photographs!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
529 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.