Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have been doing a good bit of of shooting with peep sights these past couple years which still work for me as long as the front sight is out there a bit. A 40" OAL rifle is bare minimum for being able to focus on it properly and more is better.

So, help me remember some good bolt action magazine fed .22 rifles new or old out there that either come with a peep which is optimum or at least have a front sight or provision for one. I've been looking at the older Remington 500 series - 511, 513, 521 etc. and those look promising and not too expensive. Not too many new rifles out there with 24" barrels or better, and definitely not much in left hand but a right hand bolt is okay for what I have in mind. A new RAR rimfire with a 22" barrel isn't out of the question and has a fiber optic front which is helpful. But I'm kinda partial to wooden stocks. I'd get another LH 581 but folks are getting too proud of those for what they are. Probably don't need a full blown Olympic target style but the more informal target styles along the lines of the 513T etc. are fine. Big thing is the ability to have a peep sight without having to drill anything or cut a barrel dovetail.

Been looking on the web and have some candidates in mind but figure there's always room for more suggestions, so what can you think of that might fit the bill? Trying to keep the budget around or under $300 but you never know what might catch the eye... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
CZ Ultra Lux 28 inch barrel and good irons.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Old Mossbergs are rumored to be good shooters and have a longish barrel.

Marlin 39A is usually very accurate and easy to mount a receiver sight. Might find a used one for close to 300

Last edited by DollarShort; 12/12/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the older Remington's came with a peep sight, and the model numbers say so, as in 512P.
Rare to see one on any local shelves, but one might on GunBroker.

A few here,

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=remington+22+p

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Jim, ever consider the 513T and trimming the stock down??? I have one, but just shoot it from the truck.. Also a 512T.. They were my favorite .22's along with my 39a, until I bought a CZ, now it is number one, but I shoot scopes.. The CZ has open sights, but I am not sure if you could not put a peep on it.. Something like the ghost ring. I believe it has a 28 " barrel..

Molon Labe
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Having a 28 inch barrel the 513T might be what you are looking for. $300 usually won't go too far on them though

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I went down that road earlier this year, and didn’t find a bolt gun with a detachable magazine to my liking. So I went with the Henry lever Frontier model with a 24” barrel, and then installed a Skinner receiver mount rear sight and fiber optic fine bead for the front (also sold by Skinner).

It has turned out to be much more fun to use than anticipated. Silly quiet with standard velocity ammo. Very accurate and easy to shoot well. Carries like a dream too. Wish I had done it years ago. Everyone who shoots it can’t seem to miss anything with it

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a bolt, but the Remington 572 fieldmaster had a longer barrel on it. Plus you can shoot shorts, long and long rifle.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by TomM1
Not a bolt, but the Remington 572 fieldmaster had a longer barrel on it. Plus you can shoot shorts, long and long rifle.

I have a 552 Speedmaster (semiauto) with 22inch barrel.

Last edited by websterparish47; 12/12/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by driftless
CZ Ultra Lux 28 inch barrel and good irons.

Yep......preferably a 452 if you can find one.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Jim,

The Remington 580 series has a front sight dovetail. They are also grooved for a rimfire scope. I do not remember what the 582 or the 581's barrel length, but I have a 580 right now and the barrel is 24 inches long. Might note they are not known for a good trigger, my present 580 is the worst I've had, it has a 6 pound (measured) trigger pull. Ann odd deal though is I shoot eggs offhand at 50 yards and I shoot the 580 best, even though it is not quite as accurate as my CZ's, which also have the triggers tuned to approx. 2.25 pounds?

Brownell's has a globe set up that goes into a front sight dovetail. They also have a couple of receiver sights that use the scope grooves, eg. Weaver & NECG. I've had both and the NECG (a very quality sight) also worked with CZ's euro scope grooves.

As mentioned above Remington used to supply some of their their 22's with an integral receiver sight (pre 60's). The models were designated with a P at the end of the model number. Quite nifty... they had 2 arpertures of different diameters... the spare was used as a stop screw to hold the elevation.

Again as mentioned above the CZ's, I am only familiar with the older 452's, so am not sure what is available in the 455 line. A guy by the name of Denny used to make frequent business trips to Chekslovakia (I give up on how to spell it) and would pick up CZ stuff... namely front globe sights and target receiver sights for the CZ's, He would sell these on gunbroker and rimfirecentral.

Also there's an outfit that makes what they call ghost ring rear sights for the CZ 452 Lux, Trainer & Ultra-Lux that replace the rear sight. They can be had with different arperture diameters, and they may help you. Query the CZ subforum over at rimfirecentral for the ghost ring rears or denny's target sights.

CZ 452 American; 22.x inch barrel, classic stock, available in left hand.
CZ 452 Trainer; 24.x inch barrel, euro hogback stock, left hand?
CZ 452 Lux; same as the trainer but has a walnut stock, left hand?
CZ 452 Ultra-Lux; 28.x inch barrel, euro hogback stock, left hand?

CZ ultra-Lux's on gunbroker;
http://www.gunbroker.com/Firearms/s...x&Sort=13&PageSize=48&View=2

A bonus to the 24 inch barrel is that CCI's standard velocity is very quiet out of that long of a barrel.

Jerry

edited to add; I don't care for the asthetics of CZ's euro hogback stocks, But they are perfect for shooting iron sights.

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 12/13/17.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The Winchester m69A rifles had 25"barrels and were iver 40 inches long.
Clip fed , all steel and walnut.
Usually extremely accurate

The later versions were drilled and tapped for a side peep. They also made a "target " version thath had the same weight barrel but with an adjustable target peep rear and globe front.

You can find decent samples in the $300 to $350 range which is probably less than most folks will sell you an open sighted CZ 452 for these days.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the replies. I have a nice late 40's vintage Marlin 39 with a Lyman peep and at 40" and change OAL it is about minimum for me to shoot well. A Ruger 10/22 Sporter with the 22" barrel is the same length and also lets me shoot well but has a comb more suited for scopes . Had a LH 581 back in the 80's and it was a nice accurate rifle but I know what you mean about the triggers. The CZ training rifles certainly have the barrel length but I'm not sure if that rear sight would pose a problem, and I'd still have to buy a peep sight to fit it.

Guess nostalgia also plays a part here and what's really drawing me are the nice rifles I missed out on growing up. All steel and walnut, you could get a lot of rifle for the money with those.

I'd been looking hard at some Remington 513T or 511P models but almost by accident found a listing for a Winchester 69A in very good shape with a Lyman peep with target knobs and a globe front sight. It's a good bit more than $350 but still less than a new CZ, and that vintage Lyman sight by itself is probably worth $100 or more. I have checked more listings for other 69A models and the $300-350 range mentioned would get a very decent one. Actually that price range would get any of a number of very good Remington 51x models or the Winchesters, many with either a basic set and forget peep sight or regular open sights but that nice Lyman sight is a real draw. And after all, it's only money. Plus the one I like is grooved for tip-off mounts so I could put a scope on temporarily to really draw out the accuracy and see what ammo it liked most.

Oh well, half the fun is looking. wink

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The CZ training rifles certainly have the barrel length but I'm not sure if that rear sight would pose a problem, and I'd still have to buy a peep sight to fit it.

Oh well, half the fun is looking. wink

Jim,

If by a problem You mean in the way of a receiver sight... the answer is no. The CZ rear tangent sights can be removed in about 10 seconds.

They are similiar to military ladder sights (except that they do not flip up to the vertical), and are a lot of fun to use.

Enjoy Your search,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, that's good info. My heart keeps looking at those old rifles that I thought were so cool when I was a little kid shooting NRA Junior matches but my logic tells me that CZ Trainer or the Ultra is the better fit for what I'm thinking of.

Going to go to Sportsman's Warehouse tonight or maybe this weekend, I think they have one of those CZ's in stock to check out in person, either the 24" (actually almost 25) or the Ultra long 28" model. That 28" barrel would sure provide a nice sight radius but that might even be too much of a good thing.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a Remington 121 with 25" barrel and it was a nice handling rifle. Plenty long for aiming, even with the stock sights.

28 might be cool as long as I didn't have to weave through any jungle with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jim, dig around and find a Rem 513S.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jim, you might look for a Remington 341. Mine has a 23” barrel and is 42” overall. Great shooter and nice walnut. The lifter is a well thought out system that carries a cartridge from the magazine to the chamber. I think it holds 15 rounds. I picked it up for $150.00 so you might find one in that range too.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Jim, dig around and find a Rem 513S.

That's one model I've been particularly looking for but good ones are really in demand

I've watched this one start at a penny, 20 bids later it's up to $392 with 2 days 20 hours left to go. Not saying it will but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it fetch over $500. A couple of other 513S models have starting bids around or above $500.

[Linked Image]

Most 511's are still in the mid-200 dollar range, such as the one I asked about in a post in the Gunwriter's forum. There are still plenty of .22 rifles from the 40's and 50's around but a lot are getting pretty worn. Excellent .22 bolt rifles used to be found everywhere and most manufacturers offered a couple of different levels including full blown target rifles. Now with changing demographics there just isn't the demand any more so you either get really expensive ones like an Anschutz or the bottom tier ones. CZ is about the only maker still offering a somewhat quality .22 for a mid-tier price. Not knocking the Savages, Marlins and the RAR rimfire but they just don't compare to those old walnut and steel rifles. Even my 581 from the 1980's, while an accurate rifle, was a step down from its ancestors.

Before dinner today I looked at a CZ 455 Training rifle and an Ultra Lux. Even with the birch stocks those are nice rifles and each had a very light trigger pull. A touch of creep in the Ultra but nothing a light stoning wouldn't fix. That Ultra with the 28" barrel is kind of neat if ungainly looking, it's like hefting a .410 goose gun. wink

I have a beautiful LH Kimber of OR Model 82 and it is a superb .22 rifle, extremely light trigger and an absolute one raggedy hole shooter - over the last 27 years I've used it to win several .22 silhouette matches at 100 and 200 yards. If'n I was feeling really blasphemous it would make sense to put a front sight on it and find a peep sight to fit but I just can't bring myself to change it out from factory form.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
These are excellent for the money:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/728790530

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.