Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
For those who have used them, what is it you like or dislike about certain chassis rifles? What is you preferred caliber in them?

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 12/13/17.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
chassis?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
chassis?
I would have to hazard a guess the he means what you say....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm running an mdt "chassis" , and so is huntsman22.......mine has a fast twist rem 700 223AI in it and I like it.....I like it a lot. Except for the fact that in the cold weather hear in Michigan the aluminum is a cold bitch.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BradArnett
I'm running an mdt "chassis" , and so is huntsman22.......mine has a fast twist rem 700 223AI in it and I like it.....I like it a lot. Except for the fact that in the cold weather hear in Michigan the aluminum is a cold bitch.

Got one here too. Like it more than I thought I would.

Takes some getting used to for sure.

Wouldn't want an MDT in anything larger than a 6 Dasher (or maybe 6 Creedmoor) as the AR-15 butt pad aint cushy.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 3 MDT chassis and two XLR chassis. Adjustabilty and folding stocks are the two main advantages for me. That and every rifle I dropped into a chassis the accuracy has improved. I have grown to prefer the ergonomics of a chassis for shooting in short order but it initially does take some getting used to.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
chassis?
I wrote it and then spell check changed it for me. May not have had it perfect though.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had an AICS folder for a while.... couldn’t warm up to it.

I like shooting rifles in a Chassis..... I hate packing rifles in a Chassis.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have an MPA BA Lite. I like the adjustability. Easy to get a perfect fit for comb height, length of pull, and cant. The BA Lite weighs the same or less than a fully adjustable McMillan or Manners. The attachments available for bipod mount, etc are very functional. The AR type grip geometry seems to fit me well. I’ve obtained superb accuracy with no need to bed. Not the best for an extreme lightweight build, but that’s not what I like to shoot anymore. Here’s a pic of my rig in the BA Lite.

John

[Linked Image]

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

For years my favorite heavy rifle stock was the Manners T5-A. This summer I finally gave a chassis a try, a MPA Comp. The new vertical grip was what finally convinced me to give it a whirl. Turns out my suspicion was right, that grip puts my hand in a better position more often than the T5-A grip did. I consider it pretty much perfect for me. I also love the versatility and modularity. My setup has changed somewhat since the image above was taken in July. Now I run an Arca Swiss style clamp on my bipod to be able to quickly position it anywhere on the forend and to eliminate rail sections that can get hung up, and a spigot mount can increase the stability or let me attach my Magnetospeed bayonet without affecting barrel behavior.

My number one complaint vs the Manners has been the lack of an offsetable cheekpiece, but Friday's mail should take care of that.

I avoid rifles that kick at all, by conventional standards. My hunting rifle is the big recoiler, a 9.5lb 6.5x47L. My comp rifles are 15lb 6 Dasher's with muzzle brakes, so they don't move too much when you set them off - grin.

For my hunting rifle so far I've stuck with my Manners (an EH1), primarily due to weight and feel in the cold. It's at least a pound lighter than even the "Lite" MPA, and I'm not sure I'm ready to hold onto aluminium for days in the fall! Also, many of the features that I appreciate in competition just aren't that useful in a hunting rifle. Could still switch someday, or could sell it and go with a much cheaper T3x with a vertical grip and call it good...

Empirical results rule!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I have 3 MDT chassis and two XLR chassis. Adjustabilty and folding stocks are the two main advantages for me. That and every rifle I dropped into a chassis the accuracy has improved. I have grown to prefer the ergonomics of a chassis for shooting in short order but it initially does take some getting used to.

I've got a MDT and an XLR. What is stated above ^^^ is true.

Can't put my finger on it, but I prefer the XLR (Element).

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
[Linked Image]

For years my favorite heavy rifle stock was the Manners T5-A. This summer I finally gave a chassis a try, a MPA Comp. The new vertical grip was what finally convinced me to give it a whirl. Turns out my suspicion was right, that grip puts my hand in a better position more often than the T5-A grip did. I consider it pretty much perfect for me. I also love the versatility and modularity. My setup has changed somewhat since the image above was taken in July. Now I run an Arca Swiss style clamp on my bipod to be able to quickly position it anywhere on the forend and to eliminate rail sections that can get hung up, and a spigot mount can increase the stability or let me attach my Magnetospeed bayonet without affecting barrel behavior.

My number one complaint vs the Manners has been the lack of an offsetable cheekpiece, but Friday's mail should take care of that.

I avoid rifles that kick at all, by conventional standards. My hunting rifle is the big recoiler, a 9.5lb 6.5x47L. My comp rifles are 15lb 6 Dasher's with muzzle brakes, so they don't move too much when you set them off - grin.

For my hunting rifle so far I've stuck with my Manners (an EH1), primarily due to weight and feel in the cold. It's at least a pound lighter than even the "Lite" MPA, and I'm not sure I'm ready to hold onto aluminium for days in the fall! Also, many of the features that I appreciate in competition just aren't that useful in a hunting rifle. Could still switch someday, or could sell it and go with a much cheaper T3x with a vertical grip and call it good...

Damn..that's saying a lot Carl. That T5 grip is an absolute PEACH!

I appreciate what the chassis have to offer, but I couldn't get past the XLR Evolution that was on a recent trade. It got sent down the road and ordered another T5A.

Don't be hatin on a Tikka.......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No Tikka hate here! I think they're a great entry point, a not shabby finishing point, and I find myself recommending them often.

The T5 grip is still my #2 choice, and is sooooo comfortable. Should mention I didn't love the MPA right out of the box. After the first 5 minutes I told my wife I thought I might move it along. After 3 hours I was seeing the appeal, and after 3 days and a range session I was pretty hooked.

I've shot someone else's XLR a bit and did NOT like it. It obviously works well for some. The KRG is better for my taste but not good enough to pry me away from Manners. Neither was the MPA with the old style grip. I think the only popular chassis I haven't played with is the J. Allen. Some guys love those, and while I can't "see" the appeal, maybe I'm missing something having never shot one. They're sure proud of them! If I couldn't shoot the MPA I think I'd get another T5-A, build the front of the grip up a bit with something, and probably bolt on a long Arca-Swiss rail that runs from the magwell to beyond the forend.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You boys comparing the LSS to the XLR Evo should try the ESS. It's a major improvement in ergos over the LSS and the XLR, IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You boys comparing the LSS to the XLR Evo should try the ESS. It's a major improvement in ergos over the LSS and the XLR, IMO.

I would but they only had the LSS-XL on their black friday sale...so I'll "deal" with it. smile

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Higbean
[quote=BradArnett]

Got one here too. Like it more than I thought I would.

Takes some getting used to for sure.

Wouldn't want an MDT in anything larger than a 6 Dasher (or maybe 6 Creedmoor) as the AR-15

I sure wish mtd would make a chassis for the cz 527. I think a grendel in a cz that was adjustable for many different shooter sizes would be a handy rifle.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Wow I really like the looks of these chassis rifles. I will be buying a factory savage 10ba stealth lh in a 6.5 creedmoor here in the near future. If I like shooting these rifles as much as I like the looks I may be looking for a chassis to replace the wood stock on my savage 114. I will be using the new gun for targets and deer hunting from fixed stands. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If Santa doesn't bankrupt me I might be trading my CTR for one of these soon!

https://christensenarms.com/modern-precision-rifle/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 78 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.