Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Have been contemplating converting mod 94 356 win to improved. Anyone know of it being done, how much of an increase in velocity could expect?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I couldn't imagine a more useless conversion, but you only need to make yourself happy

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I didn't know the .356 could be improved upon. .358? I really don't believe there would be an advantage to it for the hassle involved, but if that is what you want go for it. I wonder if it wouldn't be like the 35 Whelen Improved. Not much increase in velocity.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I couldn't imagine a more useless conversion, but you only need to make yourself happy

Yep. For me, killing with a .35 cal isn't about velocity.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think you would find next to no improvement in speed at equal pressures and the other advantage of improved cartridges, less case stretch would be hard to recognize in a win 94.

More than that it would be pretty darn expensive.

You would need custom dies and there going to be full customs for 356 improved.

The barrel will need to be set back for the re-chamber to be done properly and along with the cost normally associated with a bolt gun setback you have the indexing of the sights to worry about as well as remounting the mag tube.

If your looking for a bit more range see if realoding with the Hornady flex tips helps, they should provide a slight improvement in BC.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by markak338fed
Have been contemplating converting mod 94 356 win to improved. Anyone know of it being done, how much of an increase in velocity could expect?

I'd wouldn't expect much increase in velocity, probably less than 100 fps.

It seems like you would need to spend a lot of money to get a minimal/negligible gain, but it comes down to being your rifle, your money, your choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think the FTX bullet, and Lever lotion powder can get you there without improving the cylinder.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by noKnees
I think you would find next to no improvement in speed at equal pressures and the other advantage of improved cartridges, less case stretch would be hard to recognize in a win 94.

More than that it would be pretty darn expensive.

You would need custom dies and there going to be full customs for 356 improved.

The barrel will need to be set back for the re-chamber to be done properly and along with the cost normally associated with a bolt gun setback you have the indexing of the sights to worry about as well as remounting the mag tube.

If your looking for a bit more range see if realoding with the Hornady flex tips helps, they should provide a slight improvement in BC.

The setback wouldn't necessarily need to be done. As an example, the 30/30 AI isn't setback, just reamed out. Since they headspace on the rim.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sure wouldn't want to try to resell a 356 Improved and get much from it. A 356 in itself would be bad enough but then to improve it would just make it worth less.

Rolly
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If it floats your boat, well then carry on. Ignorance is bliss so they say.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Well, thanks for the reply's I guess, some actually imparted some useful info.. I believe your right Steelhead, I did a 35-348 improved years ago and it was a simple re-chamber and headspace. I hunt rain forest for deer/moose where there are brown bears and ranges are rarely over 200yds, The 356win has served me well. Have 3 customized mod 94's and I have no intentions to sell any of them. If it was possible to gain 150 to 200FPS then it would have been worth the effort for me. I reload, best load so far has been the 250Kodiak at 2250FPS out of 20in barrel, accurate and kills very well. Have thought the FTX while works great on deer might not be right for the potential close range brown bear situation, a little soft. Have been in that situation twice with 358win and once with the 356win served me well. If memory serves me right the 30-30AI got a decent increase in velocity and was thinking with the 356 should gain the same. I like tinkering with my rifles and have kind of maxed out what I can do with these, for 3 rifles didn't find the cost of reamers to be prohibitive. Didn't know the 35whelan improved didn't gain much velocity, will have to check that out.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by markak338fed
Well, thanks for the reply's I guess, some actually imparted some useful info.. I believe your right Steelhead, I did a 35-348 improved years ago and it was a simple re-chamber and headspace. I hunt rain forest for deer/moose where there are brown bears and ranges are rarely over 200yds, The 356win has served me well. Have 3 customized mod 94's and I have no intentions to sell any of them. If it was possible to gain 150 to 200FPS then it would have been worth the effort for me. I reload, best load so far has been the 250Kodiak at 2250FPS out of 20in barrel, accurate and kills very well. Have thought the FTX while works great on deer might not be right for the potential close range brown bear situation, a little soft. Have been in that situation twice with 358win and once with the 356win served me well. If memory serves me right the 30-30AI got a decent increase in velocity and was thinking with the 356 should gain the same. I like tinkering with my rifles and have kind of maxed out what I can do with these, for 3 rifles didn't find the cost of reamers to be prohibitive. Didn't know the 35whelan improved didn't gain much velocity, will have to check that out.

The 30/30 is a slopping/tapered SOB, the 356 is not. It's no different than doing a 308 WinchesterAI or a 358 Winchester AI, you ain't gonna get the gain out of, because there ain't much taper to begin with.

The gain I've seen from a 35 Whelen AI is akin the differences between like rifles in the same cartridge, which ain't much.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I think the FTX bullet, and Lever lotion powder can get you there without improving the cylinder.

That doesn't seem like gunpowder. grin

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks Steelhead, that was helpful, answers my question!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I think you're on the right track not wanting to use that Hornady bullet on a grumpy brown bear 10 yards out....

Last edited by pabucktail; 12/15/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.