Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Can someone give me that list of scopes that Formidilosus said he had experience with that tracks and holds up to dialing? I've lost my list somewhere and can't remember which models of Trijicon was on it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you tried going to the search page and putting Trijicon in one box and Formidilosus in the other? Not trying to be flippant, just wondering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or just ask him?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Neither, I'll do one or the other. Hate to pester anyone though with PM's.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I believe this is what you are looking for I saved it to my files for reference

Originally Posted by FOsteology
Formidilosus,

A list of scopes and mounts that you and your pards recommend (for AR and bolt actions) would be insightful, and I for one would be interested.

Obliged.

Failures or issues with these scopes are extremely rare-

1). Nightforce NXS/ATACR/BEAST

2). Bushnell LRHS, HDMR/DMR, ERS, XRS

3). SWFA SS 6x, 10x, 1-6x, 3-9x, 5-20x

4). S&B fixed 10x PM

5). Hensoldts

6). Older Leupold fixed power Mark 4's/Ultra's

There are a few more, but the above are the major ones and also most suitable for hunting.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Paul4
I believe this is what you are looking for I saved it to my files for reference

Originally Posted by FOsteology
Formidilosus,

A list of scopes and mounts that you and your pards recommend (for AR and bolt actions) would be insightful, and I for one would be interested.

Obliged.

Failures or issues with these scopes are extremely rare-

1). Nightforce NXS/ATACR/BEAST

2). Bushnell LRHS, HDMR/DMR, ERS, XRS

3). SWFA SS 6x, 10x, 1-6x, 3-9x, 5-20x

4). S&B fixed 10x PM

5). Hensoldts

6). Older Leupold fixed power Mark 4's/Ultra's

There are a few more, but the above are the major ones and also most suitable for hunting.

Yes Sir, thanks.
I thought there was a Trijicon in there but it might have been that he was using a Trijicon as comparison when testing the TRACT.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Trijicon TARS

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Question for formidilosus, the SWFA fixed 12X is not on your list, is that because you haven't tested them, or because you tested them and found them wanting? Thx.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the 12x this last Black Friday. I do like it. I will not be shock testing (drop) it though. Tracks perfect!

GOA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Yes Sir, thanks.
I thought there was a Trijicon in there but it might have been that he was using a Trijicon as comparison when testing the TRACT.

As Jordan said- Trijicon TARS. Have seen good performance out of the 1-8x as well, but not enough of them to say across the board.

Originally Posted by smokepole
Question for formidilosus, the SWFA fixed 12X is not on your list, is that because you haven't tested them, or because you tested them and found them wanting? Thx.

No, they function well. They just aren't as usable as the 6x and 10x with FOV and eyebox, etc. I would call the 12x a niche scope, and wouldn't bother with the 16x and 20x at all.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Form,
What has been your experience with the Accupoint 3-9?
Thanks!

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
@Formidilosus

The Nightforce SVH line is not on your list, is that because they were not tested or because they didn't pass?

Also, have you tested any Zeiss, Swaro or MeOpta that you can recommend?

Thanks much!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Form,
Thanks!

I have not seen enough of them to get an accurate look. The ones I have, seemed to stay zeroed from what I saw.

Originally Posted by CZ_Hunter
@Formidilosus

The Nightforce SVH line is not on your list, is that because they were not tested or because they didn't pass?

Thanks much!

SHV's work well. Older Ziess fixed powers work as a set and forget scope. There is no Swarovski that I would chose to shoot, and I do not have enough experience with Meopta's to know how they do.

Overall, of a scope isn't specifically built for durability and reliability as the number one priority..... then it probably isn't.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks @Formidilosus !

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Form,
Thanks!

I have not seen enough of them to get an accurate look. The ones I have, seemed to stay zeroed from what I saw.

Originally Posted by CZ_Hunter
@Formidilosus

Thanks much!

SHV's work well. Older Ziess fixed powers work as a set and forget scope. There is no Swarovski that I would chose to shoot, and I do not have enough experience with Meopta's to know how they do.

Overall, of a scope isn't specifically built for durability and reliability as the number one priority..... then it probably isn't.

Have you done any testing on the X5 or Kahles PMR 3 6x24?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WRO

Have you done any testing on the X5 or Kahles PMR 3 6x24?

The first few Swarovski X5's that I saw/used seemed to do well, however the last few have had some tracking errors and inconsistent RTZ.

If you are meaning the Kahles k624i then yes. Had several issues with tracking and RTZ.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I really appreciate this thread as I’m so tired of unreliable adjustments/RTZ. Can anyone tell me about how the glass quality compares in the SS HD 5x20 vs. the LRHS 4.8 x 18? As this will go on a hunting rifle, the weight difference is also a consideration. Thanks!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I really appreciate this thread as I’m so tired of unreliable adjustments/RTZ. Can anyone tell me about how the glass quality compares in the SS HD 5x20 vs. the LRHS 4.8 x 18? As this will go on a hunting rifle, the weight difference is also a consideration. Thanks!

I had both for a month or two, before deciding to sell the SS 5-20 in favor of the LRHS. I can't comment on tracking or RTZ on either, as I have yet to do much turret spinning. But I did I spend a fair amount of time in varying light conditions comparing the two (just scope in hand, not mounted). I preferred the LRHS glass slightly. I didn't feel it gave up anything in resolution to the SS with both at max magnification (18x vs 20x). Add the weight savings and capped windage of the LRHS to the equation I decided it was a better fit for my purposes at the time.

I have both the LRHS 3-12 and 4.5-18. Like both but will probably always hang on to the 3-12. I've been considering selling the 4.5-18 to fund other purchases, but haven't made up my mind yet.

PM me if you want pics of the two scopes you mentioned side by side or more info..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trijicon TARS weighs in at 47oz.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The scope that interests me at the moment is the 3-15x42 SWFA SS FFP with the mil quad reticle. Any reports on this particular scope? Glass quality? Any tracking issues with the turrets? I'd love to be able to slum a $1k+ scope. But right now and for the foreseeable future it isn't in the cards

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,839 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,155
Posts18,465,109
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.