Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I e-mailed Kifaru last week asking what the g/m2 spec was in the Lost Park. I haven't heard back, anyone know?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
they told me 3.6 insulation. Whatever the heck that means....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
they told me 3.6 insulation. Whatever the heck that means....

Ounces per square foot, possibly? If so, that's a fairly good amount of insulation?

Last edited by 340boy; 11/21/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
3.6 is ounces/yard. The metric equivalent is 122 grams/meter.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
3.6 is ounces/yard. The metric equivalent is 122 grams/meter.

Thank you!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
I e-mailed Kifaru last week asking what the g/m2 spec was in the Lost Park. I haven't heard back, anyone know?

3.6oz as said above. It is same/same as their 20 degree sleeping bags.

Given heat transfer, surface area, etc., differences, 30-35 degrees is about right.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Roger thanks. Same as the DAS. The (now) ancient ID Dolomitti is about the only synthetic puffy I've owned with enough loft to be a primary belay jacket in truly cold conditions. There are a few others that push toward 150-180 g/m2 these days, but most burn weight on heavier face fabric than I care for. Down gets hard to argue against as the mercury dips below slush conditions anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Roger thanks. Same as the DAS. The (now) ancient ID Dolomitti is about the only synthetic puffy I've owned with enough loft to be a primary belay jacket in truly cold conditions. There are a few others that push toward 150-180 g/m2 these days, but most burn weight on heavier face fabric than I care for. Down gets hard to argue against as the mercury dips below slush conditions anyway.

Snowy,
My favorite belay jacket is the Mountain Equipment Citadel. Lofts almost like a down jacket. It's basically waterproof, also. It is rather heavy. That's the only downside. It truly kicks the [bleep] out of my DAS for warmth and weather proofing.

Last edited by 340boy; 11/22/17.

James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks 340. MEC makes pretty solid stuff for the price imo. The Primaloft Gold they use in that jacket is a cut-staple insulation and will loft and "feel" more like down (same as Primaloft 1, just re-named I am told). The Lost Park uses Climashield, which is a continuous filament--comes out more "quilt-like" and will be bulkier on average than a cut-staple. The benefit is that it tends to hold up better over time (less deterioration of fibers) and won't bunch. Neither is perfect, just different ways to skin the cat. Weight is the damnation of synthetics of course, which is why we have down jackets for 16-18 oz that can do the same thing as synthetics that weight almost twice as much. It's all about the cost:benefit ratio for a given condition.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had an Integral Designs pullover very similar to the Lost Park in concept and cut, except with Primaloft 1 and no hood. I put snaps on my Dolomitti hood so I could retrofit it onto that pullover. It was a handy combo, but didn't get enough use to warrant hanging on to it. I like pullovers personally. They don't work well for belaying so there aren't likely to be many above 60-80 g/m2 from the standard outdoor manufacturers.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snowy,
Climashield sounds interesting. I used to think that the degradation of synthetic insulation was a myth until several of my Patagonia puffies had about as much loft as a windbreaker after several years of hard use.
What I am really excited about are the developments in hydrophobic down-I'm keeping a close eye on that.

James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes there are some upsides to it. I have it in my primary puffy, a Brooks Range Mojave. I've tried to keep up with some of the reviewers I respect at BackpackingLight on the dry-down products; it seems the general consensus to date is that it doesn't loft quite as well per ounce, but obviously doesn't give up as much R-value when wet as standard high loft down. It appears that it's as close to middle ground as we might have at the moment. Obviously the higher the fill power of the down, the more performance is lost when wet, by percentage. Anyway, If you learn anything interesting let us know!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will definitely share here if I find out anything interesting. In the past I've actually done some research on modified silicone compounds that are very hydrophobic. I wouldn't be surprised if that what's the industry uses to make the down hydrophobic?

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
You and Don just cost me some $$$. laugh

Didja order yet, Scott?.........grin

Kifaru is doing a black friday deal, for those interested, if ordered before Monday.

Use code KBF15

Sale excludes the following items.
Shelters and Stoves

Only applies to orders made 11/22-11/27

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Used a LPP this year for the last three weeks in three states from highs in the 80's to single digits and snowing.

General use was hiking hard to glassing spots and then sitting for hours. Hiked in a light base layer and fleece top and once at a glassing spot put on the Parka and puff pants to cook dry and insulate. It's a mid tempature puffy, not a super warm one. Down to around 30-35 degrees it was good for absolute comfort with a silk weight base layer and light fleece top under it. Absolute comfort is defined by me as sitting still for hours and being completely warm- not chilled at all. Below about 30* I had to move around some or build a fire. It was great in single digits if I were moving at all.

I like anoraks and pass through pockets, so really like the design and cut of the Lost Park. It also breathes better than most puffs. I could walk quit a bit as long as it wasn't a heavy effort and not be drenched in it.

Overall thought are-

Mid warmth
Great anorak design and hood
Breathes well and dries quickly
Relatively light (21oz in large)

It will work for some of my uses, but not for truly cold winter mountain weather while stationary. At least not without another insulating layer.

Nunatak Equipment make an early identical pullover that you can customize completely. Material, size, fit, down or synthetic with 2.5, 3.6, and 5oz of Climashield Apex insulation. The Kifaru Lost Park Parka is 3.6oz, and I think 5oz would be about right.

Have you ordered anything from Nunatak? If so what and how well did you like it? I too got a little cold glassing in my Kifaru parka and want to have something made to keep me toasting when sitting for hours.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by STS45

Have you ordered anything from Nunatak? If so what and how well did you like it? I too got a little cold glassing in my Kifaru parka and want to have something made to keep me toasting when sitting for hours.

I have not. I have seen a couple, and they looked solid. I will be ordering one soon.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Holston
Originally Posted by SKane
Holston,
Glad it's working out for you.

Couple questions - sizing is about normal? And a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the "quietest", what would you rate/rank the parka?

I normally buy XL Tall sizes. I certainly wouldn't want one smaller than the 2X. I would say on the small side, but not terribly bad.

As far as noise, it's not quiet by any stretch, but I personally don't find it to be a problem. Not sure it'd be the ideal bowhunting jacket, but for anything else I don't see it being a problem. IF I had to put a number on it, I'd rate as a 5.

So in a nutshell, if you're in between sizes order up and don't expect it to be as quiet as fleece. Can't see how you'd be disappointed though, this really is the best piece of hunting clothing I've ever owned.

if you have a mountain hardwear Compressor Hoodie how do you compare with it? one of the best belay jacket i ever had. never leave home without it.

Holston Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Sorry, no experience with that to compare.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FWIW, the compressors were a mix of 100 and 80 g/m2, compared to about 120 g/m2 in the lost park. However, the compressor was a cut staple insulation that lofts better per gram than a continuous filament. I'm not guessing on that, guys at BPL measure this kind of stuff. Therefore probably comparable on loft, but then you have the face fabric. 20d ripstop on the compressor, don't know on the lost park, but it looks comparable to me. I'd be very surprised if it's outside of 15d-25d range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After reading this and the "warmest puffy" I went and ordered myself a LPP. You people sure know how to make people spend money.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.