3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Pulling at 135 degrees = over cooked in my house

According to what I read- 135 is rare. How can that possibly be over cooked anywhere.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You're wrong. I'm not saying it wasn't good but 135 isn't rare.

Last edited by Kaleb; 12/12/17.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Kaleb
You're wrong. I'm not saying it wasn't good but 135 isn't rare.

You are correct. After more google fu, I see different temps called out for how done the meat is.The chart I saw had 135 as rare after resting. There must not be a standard ?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The other thing to remember about large cuts of meat is the carry-over cooking you will get. On a standing rib roast that I want to serve between 125-130 I pull it at 115 and it will be right in my preferred range after a 30-40 minute rest. Same hold true for all meat, it's just more dramatic on the larger cuts.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of the interesting factors of sous vide cooking is that the meat does not continue to cook after it's removed from the water bath and it does not need to rest after searing. What this means is that it's much easier to hit your desired final temperature.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree. I like my Anova sous vide unit, but with beef especially, you have to sear the meat off after the bath or it will look like a slimy battleship gray blob. On a whole rib roast I'm thinking you would get some carry over from searing such a large piece. YMMV. Maybe seared super hot on a drum or Kamado it wouldn't affect it. Don't know, I've never tried it.

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yum.

Christmas dinner at our place has always been a standing rib roast. You're making my mouth water.

Some ideas:

1) After having a barbequed rib roast at Coopers in Llano, I started working out how to do a texas-style job on a rib roast. They respond very well to 4 hours of fairly warm smoking using red oak in place of mequite, and then cooking to taste in a low oven. Coopers serves it by whacking off a hunk and dunking it in a bucket of au-jus and serving it on butcher paper.

2) I discovered a sauce that goes well with leftover beef roasts: Zip Sauce.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/48919/kims-zippy-sauce/
Read my review.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BOWHUNR, I have a BGE and it'll put a beautiful sear on a sous vide roast but you must not put the lid down or it'll begin to cook it. I have found the best method for searing after sous vide is an open grill that has a grate that can be lowered or raised as needed. And the hotter the better.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For pieces that'll fit, a charcoal chimney starter is an uber way to put a sear/char on a piece of meat. Just don't turn your back. Lol.

Pulling at 135 is a bit on the warm side for me, but I honestly don't get worked up over temp as long as its somewhere around med rare/med. Rare can be good, but I'd rather eat med well than under cooked beef.

Always cracks me up when somebody is trying to be all hipster cave man eating a really rare steak and chewing the same bite for 5 minutes. Most every steak needs to be cooked somewhat.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by tmitch
The oven method I use is 500 degrees for 5 minutes per pound, then shut the oven off and do not open for 2 1/2 hours.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

Had one, done like this, at my brother's on Saturday night !

Beautiful.

I did this last year.....it was just perfect....rave reviews from the family....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by super T
BOWHUNR, I have a BGE and it'll put a beautiful sear on a sous vide roast but you must not put the lid down or it'll begin to cook it. I have found the best method for searing after sous vide is an open grill that has a grate that can be lowered or raised as needed. And the hotter the better.

Thanks super T. I have four Green Egg's, two larges a small and a mini, but have never tried it with a large piece after a sous vide bath. I might just have to send one for a swim for Christmas this year! wink Just curious, but unless you have learned something I haven't in the last eight years of cooking on an egg, how do you easily raise and lower the grate with a full rib roast on it? I have a woo ring and and an adjustable rig, but raising and lowering a full roast, especially one over ten pounds is a bitch at high temps.

Mike

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
The other thing to remember about large cuts of meat is the carry-over cooking you will get. On a standing rib roast that I want to serve between 125-130 I pull it at 115 and it will be right in my preferred range after a 30-40 minute rest. Same hold true for all meat, it's just more dramatic on the larger cuts.

Mike

Bingo!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great meat discussion just in time for the Holidays! Christmas Eve I have a Prime Rib to cook, and this has given me some ideas. My BGE will be my tool, and I will go Low and Slow to 110/115 and then rest, The, if necessary, I'll fire up the leaf blower to get things HOT in the BGE and sear as needed. Good eats!!!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BOWHUNR, one of my grills is a so called Santa Maria style it has crank arrangement that allows the grate to be easily raised or lowered even when loaded with meat. Too bad I can't post a photo. You know, one good picture is worth a thousand words.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
We are going to sous vide one on Christmas. First time doing so.

I'm thinking of doing a sous vide rib as well.

Maybe get a whole one and split it. Half sous vide and half roasted in the oven. Try them side by side. Hmmmm....

That's a lot of beef though! Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't take it any more...........Going all in.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (2500HD, 83mvp, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 6 invisible), 1,246 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,122
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.