Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have a swaro Z3 4-12X50BT on a hunting rifle that so far has been great. The idea behind this scope was a top quality optics hunting scope, that could be set and forgot except for the occasional hunting scenario were I would have to use the turret and dial to 4,5, or 600 - (not a scope to be twisted back and forth a lot). When I sighted in, i set my turret per the software, shot twice at each of those distances - banged the steel, dialed back and it returned to zero. I went the hole hunting season without having to twist the turret and it work great on 3 kills in the backcountry. Rifle was banged around a bit, but scope held zero fine. (furthest shot was about 300 yards and didn't require dialing so not a huge testing sample, but bullet hit were it was suppose to)

Yet the tinker and worry wort in me has me questioning if I cant/should try to do better. I would love to move up to a NF 2.5-10X42, but budget is really not going to allow for that. So the next option I am considering is the Elite LRHS 3-12X44.

In short, for the purposes I described above - do you think a move would be warranted? Not a fan of the weight or the FFP, and not sure that the Bushnell glass would be on par with the swaro. But the flip side of that is I would hate a scope failure on poi due to dialing because more than likely, if it did happen, it would be in the backcountry and could cost a chance at a big buck or bull.

Thoughts? Should I just save for a NF NXS or be happy and content with the swaro - if it's not broke don't fix it??? Maybe try to upgrade to the z5 3.5-18x44? Been told that has better internals.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
...be happy and content with the swaro - if it's not broke don't fix it.

This!!!!!!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Save up until you can get the one that you really want, which sounds like the NXS.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm in nearly the same situation except that I have the Z5 with BT.

My thoughts are this.
If I was dialing back and forth a bunch I would just sell my Swaro and get the NF. As it stands the Swaro will likely serve me just fine for occasional dialing basically just to confirm a load. I might not dial again for months and it might be a couple years before I need to take a shot that requires dialing. Yea,I'll test my scope before a hunt but it's not like I'll be twisting back and forth for thousands of shots.

I will eventually get the NF but it will be set up on a different rifle that will meet different requirements.

The LRHS is heavy. It might not be my first choice for a rifle I was going to lug into the back country. The SWFA 3-9X42 is much lighter and very dependable and would give you a good taste of what the NF would be like to carry without spending $2K. One might be found on the samplelist for black friday pricing if you look a while and you wouldn't loose money if you decide to upgrade or just decide you don't want the weight.

If you have experience with these scopes and know that the NXS is the right one for you then I wouldn't settle on the LRHS just because of price,even if it was another season before getting it. Only try a SWFA on for size if you need to know if the size and weight will make you happy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IMO, stay with what you have and for piece of mind wait until summer and run the turret to settle the issue in your mind. I have Z3 with the Swarovski "Christmas tree" and it's worked fine out to five hundred yards..

I have a LRHS and I imagine that it's pushing a half pound more than your scope presently. That makes a lot of difference on carry-all-day hunting rifle..in my mind anyway.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem with the Bushnell is you will not be able to see the reticle very well on low power in low light. It's a paper punching scope not a hunting scope

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
The problem with the Bushnell is you will not be able to see the reticle very well on low power in low light. It's a paper punching scope not a hunting scope

Sounds like your still whining about Bushnell not offering you a SFP ...........

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Just wondering if you have ever tried to use one for hunting?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

LOL, or outdoors in any capacity. Pretty sure I already know the answer.

But actually using the scope isn't necessary to determine conclusively that it's worthless for hunting, these days. Especially funny that it's called the "Long Range Hunting Scope" and works great in that role, yet those with zero experience know better...

I would unhesitatingly swap out the Z3 for a LRHS, but I value reliability and functionality more than alpha glass and weight savings (though the LRHS' glass is very impressive). A compromise for the OP would be to grab a 3-10x42 NF SHV with Forceplex, assuming he can't accept the weight of the LRHS nor the FFP reticle. If the weight isn't a deal breaker, and you can wrap your head around the notion that the FFP reticle is an asset, then I'd prefer the LRHS over the SHV.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

LOL, or outdoors in any capacity. Pretty sure I already know the answer.

But actually using the scope isn't necessary to determine conclusively that it's worthless for hunting, these days. Especially funny that it's called the "Long Range Hunting Scope" and works great in that role, yet those with zero experience know better...

I would unhesitatingly swap out the Z3 for a LRHS, but I value reliability and functionality more than alpha glass and weight savings (though the LRHS' glass is very impressive). A compromise for the OP would be to grab a 3-10x42 NF SHV with Forceplex, assuming he can't accept the weight of the LRHS nor the FFP reticle. If the weight isn't a deal breaker, and you can wrap your head around the notion that the FFP reticle is an asset, then I'd prefer the LRHS over the SHV.

Yep,no doubt in my mind that the LRHS or Nightforce are more durable and reliable than the Swaro.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would assume that has been your experience with the lrhs that you have?????......I mean you know that from using it right?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I am at a trade show and the reticle washed out against a darkish curtain I saw all I needed. Don't be stupid,to say the reticle is awesome on low power is rediculous, your blind and too loyal to your purchase and money spent, admit reality

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 12/14/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lmao.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
If I make a change, I will save and go for the 2.5-10x42 NXS. Maybe by then they will offer it with a forceplex.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I could still see the reticle on actual real live deer well past legal shooting time just the other night. I'll try it on a curtain tomorrow night though. You may be correct and the reticle might suck for looking at curtains.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^ zing!

Gerry.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
O.P.

If it ain't broke...

The enemy of good is better. (In your case 'great').

I wouldn't change a thing.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When I am at a trade show and the reticle washed out against a darkish curtain I saw all I needed. Don't be stupid,to say the reticle is awesome on low power is rediculous, your blind and too loyal to your purchase and money spent, admit reality

That sure is a long winded way of saying “No, I have never used one...”

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Well I could still see the reticle on actual real live deer well past legal shooting time just the other night. I'll try it on a curtain tomorrow night though. You may be correct and the reticle might suck for looking at curtains.

Haha God Damn that's funny!!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your seeing the reticle just fine on a dark low light deer on HIGH power, you ain't seeing it on low though, nice try. Saying otherwise is like saying the sky isn't blue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 78 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.