Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My first experience with a High Power was one I shot back in 1988, or thereabout. It belonged to a friend of a friend. We all went out shooting together, and we all were taking turns shooting this guy's High Power. It was an old school High Power, with the small, non-clicky, safety, high polish blue, fixed sights. I knew then that I had to have one. My friend and I both ended up buying one shortly after that, but of the more modern design, with the better safety, flat black finish, which I believe is called a Mk III.

GB1

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Been using this holster lately for occasional concealed carry. It's an Israeli IWB that's pretty good. No extra bulk. Comes off and on easily and stays tight up against the body.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
is it hard to de-cock?

It's a single action...why would you need to de-cock it? For those of us who grew up in the age of external hammers, we have no more issue lowering a Hi Power's hammer than most other pistols, but there's really no need to do that. It should be carried in condition 1 with the safety on. Otherwise, unload, point in a safe direction and pull the trigger. From the factory it does have a 32lb mainspring so the hammer is good and stiff.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by huntsman22
is it hard to de-cock?

It's a single action...why would you need to de-cock it? For those of us who grew up in the age of external hammers, we have no more issue lowering a Hi Power's hammer than most other pistols, but there's really no need to do that. It should be carried in condition 1 with the safety on. Otherwise, unload, point in a safe direction and pull the trigger. From the factory it does have a 32lb mainspring so the hammer is good and stiff.

In other words, yes, it's a pain to de-cock. wink

I carry a Hi-Power (and most double stacks) with the magazine downloaded by one (12 rounds). When unloaded the +1 round is stored in the magazine and the pistol is left slide locked. To load the pistol insert the magazine, drop the slide, safety on.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[quote=GunGeek] For those of us who grew up in the age of external hammers, we have no more issue lowering a Hi Power's hammer than most other pistols, but there's really no need to do that. It should be carried in condition 1 with the safety on. Otherwise, unload, point in a safe direction and pull the trigger. [quote]

Yeah, I reckon since I'm one of those guys that grew up then, I'd be capable of doing that. I was just making a funny about the spurless hammer in the pic. Personally I'da put on a combat hammer like yours, instead of the goofy bobjob.....

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The "Commander" hammers always bit me bad. I like the spur hammer, with about a 1/4" cut off the spur. No hammer bite thataway, still got lots of mass to hit a firing pin, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For you boys that want to improve one of the best guns ever made.

Especially the complaints about the safety lever.

Take a look at these people.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/

Spend some time on their site. Good people.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Gibby
For you boys that want to improve one of the best guns ever made.

Especially the complaints about the safety lever.

Take a look at these people.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/

Spend some time on their site. Good people.

Good stuff...thanks!
Bob

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by RGK
I carry one sometimes.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Nice sights, RGK!

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The "Commander" hammers always bit me bad. I like the spur hammer, with about a 1/4" cut off the spur. No hammer bite thataway, still got lots of mass to hit a firing pin, too.

I "bobbed" my commander hammer to make it look like a spurred hammer. Much less hammer bite, but I still get a little, as I hold my meaty clubs way up on the grip.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you can find one, the Detective models make for a great little carry gun-
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bt8897
If you can find one, the Detective models make for a great little carry gun-
[Linked Image]

Very nice, indeed.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I haven't packed a BHP in years, but back when I did it gave me great comfort. I see no reason for that to be any different today. I'd replace the factory grips with something thinner, pull the magazine safety, and put night sights on it, but that's all it needs.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by okie john
I haven't packed a BHP in years, but back when I did it gave me great comfort. I see no reason for that to be any different today. I'd replace the factory grips with something thinner, pull the magazine safety, and put night sights on it, but that's all it needs.

Okie John

Words of wisdom.
Bob

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

Words of wisdom.
Bob

Yeah, if you wanted a single action 9mm, the Browning High Power, set up like that, would be about perfect.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My favorite Hi Power story...

I'm at the Little Rock PD range doing some shooting with the LRPD SWAT team. The then Governor's wife, Janet Huckabee was there for a little trigger time on an MP5-SD...she loved it, and asked "Now why are these illegal?" (Gotta love that!!)

So after all the fun and goofing off with the Gov's wife, the SWAT team starts to do some real range time. I'm there to do the first US review of the Cornershot from Israel for Guns Magazine. So I'm doing that, and there's a guy that a few instructors are working with trying to get his scores up with his G23, and he's struggling.

A little later I match his 7 yard scores from the 40 yard line, and then all the instructors wave me over... "What on earth are you shooting?" I was shooting a custom Hi Power that I built at the time.
I hand the Hi Power to the guy who was struggling, and he immediately cuts his groups by about 70% in the first magazine. Dood's mind is freaking BLOWN!!! He immediately turns to his boss...

"Yo, L-Tee... Tell me why the Fugg we're not using these?".

LT responds... "That's Champagne, we're on a beer budget; keep shooting your Glock". (which was a freaking GREAT comeback I might add)

ETA - I even have a photo from that day
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GunGeek; 12/19/17.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Kevin, I've occasionally related a similar story here at the Fire, when back in (I guess) the 1990s, I was shooting a 1911 and a cop next to me (getting ready for qualifications) was shooting his double action only S&W 659. He was shooting shotgun sized patterns at the same range I was making small ones. He finally asked me what I was shooting. I let him have it, and he immediately cut his group size in half. I shot his S&W and also cut his group size in half, LOL. I just shot it as I would a double action revolver. I guess, though, that a lot of cops are handicapped by their equipment.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I guess, though, that a lot of cops are handicapped by their equipment.

No, they aren't. They are handicapped because they think, like many, that a change in hardware will solve what is actually a software deficit. Any modern, quality handgun will shoot more than well enough to win a gunfight as long as the shooter will stop reading gun magazines, worrying about trigger reset and bore axis, etc...and just shoot.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by liliysdad

No, they aren't. They are handicapped because they think, like many, that a change in hardware will solve what is actually a software deficit. Any modern, quality handgun will shoot more than well enough to win a gunfight as long as the shooter will stop reading gun magazines, worrying about trigger reset and bore axis, etc...and just shoot.

This was, indeed, one of those cops who isn't any more into guns than a plumber is into his wrenches. I think he only shot when he had qualifications coming up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by liliysdad

It's a bit of both really, but your point is well made. Good trigger control is good trigger control, and it translates whether you're shooting a finely tuned 1911 or the worst Mosin-Nagant.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,114
Posts18,464,448
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.