Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
[align:left][/align]
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I've been singing this song for over five years, probably closer to 10. Use to take a beating around here for it. Good to see the 'fire coming around. grin

Same here, I first noticed that leupold wasn’t up to par about 13 years ago and no one wanted to hear it.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockdoc
This after reading a test article where the tester, of a rifle IIRC, had to send a new Leupold back with the same problem, glossed over by mentioning their customer service...

I have said for a long time, Not needing customer service is the best customer service.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Even if you level the reticle, which is what I do, if it's off kilter w.r.t. the turrets then the inputs from the turrets won't be the natural orthogonal vectors implied by the coordinate axes, i.e. the reticle.

Consider an extreme example, a 45 degree can't. You want to move bullet impact one unit vertically. A one unit change on a turret will then produce .707 units of vertical and .707 units of horizontal change.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Even if you level the reticle, which is what I do, if it's off kilter w.r.t. the turrets then the inputs from the turrets won't be the natural orthogonal vectors implied by the coordinate axes, i.e. the reticle.

Consider an extreme example, a 45 degree can't. You want to move bullet impact one unit vertically. A one unit change on a turret will then produce .707 units of vertical and .707 units of horizontal change.

Would really be magnified at a longer distance.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Maybe your singing doesn't sound good? Grin.....

Sort of a Rosanne-Barr-National-Anthem bad. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I've been singing this song for over five years, probably closer to 10. Use to take a beating around here for it. Good to see the 'fire coming around. grin

Same here, I first noticed that leupold wasn’t up to par about 1e years ago and no one wanted to hear it.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Leupold allows up to 3 degrees of reticle cant. Your scope is within their acceptable range.
Welcome to Leupold.

Curiosity got the best of me from the OP's other thread.

And....sure enough. Tis why I always level the reticle, not the turrets.

[Linked Image]

So the scope is canted as I noted in his other post?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You all are getting all the bad ones, I have 15 or 16. No problems with mine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Love it when you talk dirty like that!

FWIW, I've always leveled the reticle too. A while back, Graf's threw a Segway tool in my order just for grins, and it really helps. I also place a little machinists' rule against the eyepiece, in line with the bars on the Segway, which gives me a reference line all the way across. That makes it easier to compare the reticle to the bars. Any difference at either end of the horozontal is easily seen.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by OdT
Is there a relationship between scope caps and reticles being exactly vertical or 90° from each other. Just trying to understand the real problem

Absolutely! On a 2nd focal plane scope (which this is), the reticle is mounted in a tube within a tube. Looking through the scope, the elevation turret is at 12 o'clock, windage at 3 o'clock. They push against the inner tube and there is a leaf spring at 7:30 which opposes the force of the two turrets. A scope can get away with a canted reticle if it is static, i.e. there is not a provision for "dialing" elevation or windage. If you level the canted reticle, any adjustment on elevation/windage produces movement on the other. If you level the elevation turret, it will track properly but you have to live the canted reticle, which is only valid for the center of the crosshairs. Any vertical or horizontal hashes will be off, albeit minimal at reasonable distances. None of this is acceptable on a scope which costs this much money.

On models with double springs, are they both at 7:30, or are there springs at two different positions on the 'clock"?

Mule Deer told me not long ago, IIRC, that what looks like the old Posi-lock turret at 7-ish on some Burris models now houses a coil bias spring. Sounds like a good idea.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OdT
The recent Leupold hate is hard to fathom. I have filled several freezers with meat and have a shelf of silhouette trophies that I earned using their scopes. No failures ever in a few dozen of their scopes, over 4+ decades. Is this all very recent production?

I don’t mean to discount anyone’s personal experiences, but it’s difficult to match up based on my own.

As a long time Leupold fan myself, I used to have an almost religious sort of respect for their products until about 2006. That is when I first saw the problems start. A couple of my friends, who are very well respected high end rifle makers noticed the same problems about the same time. At first, I really didn't want to believe it and plodded along as any good choir boy will do. Then, between 2009 and 2013 or so I had five of seven new Leupold's have problems retaining point of impact. Four were VX-III's and one was the much touted FX-II 6x36, which gave up the ghost during a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska. When I shot the sheep at about 350 yards, I noticed the bullet impact was about 6" to the left of where it should have been in dead calm conditions. Sure enough, when I got home the POI had shifted about 1.5" left of where it was when I left for Alaska and the turret had a weird crunchy feel when you turned it.

At one point, I had three Leupold variables lose POI on a 300 Wby over the course of about two months. This was handy, as it saved me on postage when I crammed them all in one flat rate box to send in for service. It did cost me a lot of expensive ammunition though.

Nowadays, I pretty much stick with NF, Schmidt & Bender, SWFA SS, and if I need to go light, older Leupold M8's. I do have a newer Burris Fullfield II that has been holding up well to 300 mag recoil. Can't say it's a scope I would put on a nice custom, as it is pretty grim in the looks department, but it has been pretty tough so far.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by hanco
You all are getting all the bad ones, I have 15 or 16. No problems with mine.

I've never had one go bad either and plan to keep it that way.............

by getting rid of most of my Leupolds!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm kind of over the hill (age/health), so are my bushel basket full of Leupolds. I have one M8 and close to a dozen Vari-X III's, which I have contended are too good to toss, so I keep using them. They also are trouble free. I may have made a good decision, since the quality does seem to be on the decline. The only new Leupold in my stable is a 3-9EFR that I bought thinking was the same as my old Ultralight 3-9 EFR. I now notice that the new one is labeled as a .22 scope. Not sure how that is going to work out as I intended to put it on a center fire?

I am not a Leupold or nothing guy. I have bought other brands in the last few years. I am really impressed with a Bushnell 4200 from about three years ago as to clarity and brightness. (I don't spin knobs).

As to other brands, I have an old Zeiss 4X that has not wiggled for thirty years. It is still better than some lesser brands. I have a Swarovski binocular and have had their scope. Great glass and great customer service. The problem is that in my experience, you will need the CS. Personally, I'd rather not need it.

In my situation, unless I run over a rifle and ruin the scope, I am close to not buying many or no more scopes. But like everyone else,,if I do need another, what should it be. I will stay tuned .......

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 12/14/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

If Leupold allows 3 degrees of cant, as was mentioned by another poster, the error will be negligible out to a few hundred yards. It becomes more pronounced at longer ranges. How much error is introduced by a canted reticle isn't the issue however. QA and customer satisfaction are.

As I posted earlier, for $1500, Leupold should rectify the problem. Time to chat with a company rep, not the service department. A personal approach is best. Phone them again, or if Leupold won't deal with the problem, drop by the store and tell them you would like to chat with their rep. The store may even offer to help.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

If Leupold allows 3 degrees of cant, as was mentioned by another poster, the error will be negligible out to a few hundred yards. It becomes more pronounced at longer ranges. How much error is introduced by a canted reticle isn't the issue however. QA and customer satisfaction are.

As I posted earlier, for $1500, Leupold should rectify the problem. Time to chat with a company rep, not the service department. A personal approach is best. Phone them again, or if Leupold won't deal with the problem, drop by the store and tell them you would like to chat with their rep. The store may even offer to help.

I will be contacting Leupold again, that is for damn sure. I will actually be very pleasant on the phone as I know the person on the other end was not the one who "passed the buck" on this issue. But I will be insistant on speaking with someone with "authority" to resolve it immediately. What really burns my azz is that it cost me almost $40 for insured postage to Leupold, they had the scope for 6 weeks, nobody contacts me asking "we can't find anything, what are you talking about", nobody bothered to look at the web link I included in the return with a very clear picture of the canted reticle. I am on vacation from work next week, but I may come in anyway and put the scope on an optical comparator. I can shine a light through the scope and measure within a RCH how for off the crosshairs are from level relative to the turret/scope base.

Honestly at this point I expect to receive a new scope for my trouble and their lack of finding the issue the first time. We shall see and I will update when I know something.

Last edited by cotis; 12/14/17.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I agree. Many businesses will avoid dealing with, or delay rectification, hoping that the customer gives up and walks away.

Have you showed the store your scope? They should be aware of it too. Sometimes, them having a rapport with the rep may be a big help. Lifetime warranty, reputation, etc.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I agree with Steve,but instead send a certified letter to the President of Leupold Optics.These kind of letters get results.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cotis

I will be contacting Leupold again, that is for damn sure. I will actually be very pleasant on the phone as I know the person on the other end was not the one who "passed the buck" on this issue. But I will be insistant on speaking with someone with "authority" to resolve it immediately. What really burns my azz is that it cost me almost $40 for insured postage to Leupold, they had the scope for 6 weeks, nobody contacts me asking "we can't find anything, what are you talking about", nobody bothered to look at the web link I included in the return with a very clear picture of the canted reticle. I am on vacation from work next week, but I may come in anyway and put the scope on an optical comparator. I can shine a light through the scope and measure within a RCH how for off the crosshairs are from level relative to the turret/scope base.

Honestly at this point I expect to receive a new scope for my trouble and their lack of finding the issue the first time. We shall see and I will update when I know something.

Send it back with a letter and a link to this thread.

If they care, they'll do something.

Lots of exposure here to those who buy scopes.

Bad news travels faster and farther than good news.

Whether or not they realize it, they can't afford to let their CS go south, as CS has long been a big marketing plus, even when stuff messes up. It's aggravating enough having to send one back, usually in the middle of hunting season, only to have them send it back, finding no problem when the problem is as plain as the nose on your face.

Keep us posted.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Give them your phone number and email, let them know you're expecting a call.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If they give you flack, ask for a supervisor and move up the food chain until you find someone with good sense.

DF

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.