Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have sold a couple of rifles thinking they wouldn't shoot, but later realised it was the so called bulletproof Leupold that was the real problem, those scopes cost me a lot of wasted money but more importantly time.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by TBS
I don't think things have changed at Leupold like a lot of people think. Over 20 years ago I was using Leupold scopes in competition and they had the same problems then as what guys are experiencing today. We didn't have a ton of choices for good high power scopes like we have today. I finally switched over to Weaver T series and all those goofy erector issues went away. So i contend they are still building the scopes of yesteryear but the people buying new scopes are getting smarter.

Same here. I ran a couple Weaver "T" and a then new to the business Sightron 36X. That Sightron was the cheese. If the condition was holding steady, I'd click windage rather than hold one edge or the other of the mothball. Always got what I asked for,and always came back to zero. That was when folks in BR were starting to freeze scopes,and building precision adjustable mounting systems. A lot of Leupolds were donated to the cause. Drilled and injected with epoxy. Don't recall any Nightforces or Marches being glued up.

With all the dialing and twisting going on these days,things are going to go wrong. Back in the day you were a hunter. You only touched those adjustments if you absolutely had to. For fear of losing what you already had. Ammo was supposed to last you. Not be wasted fiddling with a scope settings for the fun of it. I lived it. A box of new cartridges was a thing of beauty. Now,we have thousands of pieces of ammo,brass,bullets. Enough powder to start a store of our own. Things have changed. Demand is through the roof. People have buckets of disposable funds now. I can recognize and live within today's scheme of things.

What I won't tolerate is some snot of a kid at Leupold talking down to me. Patronizing me. Insulting me. When I have forgotten more about scopes,and their uses than he is ever going to know. The one I have at their service facility right now is the last one Ill ever send in. When it comes back,it's ear marked for liquidation. Immediate liquidation. When I say it's over,it's over.

I've lived through the best of times to be a rifleman in the U.S. Seen a lot of advancements. Loved every minute of it. But scooter at Leupold sealed their fate with me. Won't hurt them a bit. Unless 2,000,000 other devoted customers tell them to pound sand. Now it becomes a problem. Makes me no never mind. I live my life my way. I hate to see Americans caught up in another American institution falling off the map. Ill miss the gold rings. The pride in ownership. Supporting fellow Americans. I hope scooter has a great future as a Wal Mart greeter. His days at Leupold are numbered.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

If Leupold allows 3 degrees of cant, as was mentioned by another poster, the error will be negligible out to a few hundred yards. It becomes more pronounced at longer ranges. How much error is introduced by a canted reticle isn't the issue however. QA and customer satisfaction are.

As I posted earlier, for $1500, Leupold should rectify the problem. Time to chat with a company rep, not the service department. A personal approach is best. Phone them again, or if Leupold won't deal with the problem, drop by the store and tell them you would like to chat with their rep. The store may even offer to help.

I will be contacting Leupold again, that is for damn sure. I will actually be very pleasant on the phone as I know the person on the other end was not the one who "passed the buck" on this issue. But I will be insistant on speaking with someone with "authority" to resolve it immediately. What really burns my azz is that it cost me almost $40 for insured postage to Leupold, they had the scope for 6 weeks, nobody contacts me asking "we can't find anything, what are you talking about", nobody bothered to look at the web link I included in the return with a very clear picture of the canted reticle. I am on vacation from work next week, but I may come in anyway and put the scope on an optical comparator. I can shine a light through the scope and measure within a RCH how for off the crosshairs are from level relative to the turret/scope base.

Honestly at this point I expect to receive a new scope for my trouble and their lack of finding the issue the first time. We shall see and I will update when I know something.

Send it back with a letter and a link to this thread.

If they care, they'll do something.

Lots of exposure here to those who buy scopes.

Bad news travels faster and farther than good news.

Whether or not they realize it, they can't afford to let their CS go south, as CS has long been a big marketing plus, even when stuff messes up. It's aggravating enough having to send one back, usually in the middle of hunting season, only to have them send it back, finding no problem when the problem is as plain as the nose on your face.

Keep us posted.

DF

They already know that there erector system sucks!!

Last edited by Gunaddict; 12/17/17. Reason: 1

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G

Last edited by Gunaddict; 12/17/17. Reason: ....

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by OdT
The recent Leupold hate is hard to fathom. I have filled several freezers with meat and have a shelf of silhouette trophies that I earned using their scopes. No failures ever in a few dozen of their scopes, over 4+ decades. Is this all very recent production?

I don’t mean to discount anyone’s personal experiences, but it’s difficult to match up based on my own.

Bullshit

I guess I lied about it. Thanks for pointing that out.

sigh

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I should have added a 😀.

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I should have added a 😀.

Lol

I’ve found that if I read for long enough on the internet, that all the gear I’ve ever owned is garbage, our country is all but finished, and Hillary would have made an honest upstanding president. Luckily, I don’t believe everything I read.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
its all good, but ya know a lot of folks are moving away from Leupold.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
You're only 25% of the way towards getting your scope fixed. I had one that I sent those dumb bastards 4 times with accurate descriptions of the issue only to have it returned 3 times without anything done to it. I finally chewed some guys azz for 45 minutes in order to convince him that there was a problem that a 12 year old kid could diagnose. It finally came back repaired after the 4th time.

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
its all good, but ya know a lot of folks are moving away from Leupold.

I’m noticing. I had heard a little about it locally, but figured I would ask about it here to try to understand better.

It’s been over a decade since my shooting silhouette days, and the vast majority of shooters all used Leupolds back then save only a handful of antiques and a few guys experimenting with newer model Weavers. So I was inclined to call BS myself. Turns out, I’m just out of touch

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hell I must admit I thought all this Leupold bashing was just that, people over reacting to problems that happen to some degree with any manufactured system. But earlier this year I ordered a FX II 3x from the Leupold Custom Shop with the #4 reticule and when I received it,it was unfocusable. No amount of ocular twisting could make anything visible through the scope let alone get the reticle in focus. I still build up a little steam when I think about it. I can't imagine how effed up ones processes would have to be, to be in the business of making optical instruments and not even visually inspect one coming from your "Custom Shop." It has ruined Leupold for me, though I hate to say it.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Leupold customer service experience was excellent. And, I really do like many features of the scope. Weight, clarity, CDS, eye box are all fantastic. But when it ceases to point to the same spot each shot the rest of the features become irrelevant.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BustemAgain
Hell I must admit I thought all this Leupold bashing was just that, people over reacting to problems that happen to some degree with any manufactured system. But earlier this year I ordered a FX II 3x from the Leupold Custom Shop with the #4 reticule and when I received it,it was unfocusable. No amount of ocular twisting could make anything visible through the scope let alone get the reticle in focus. I still build up a little steam when I think about it. I can't imagine how effed up ones processes would have to be, to be in the business of making optical instruments and not even visually inspect one coming from your "Custom Shop." It has ruined Leupold for me, though I hate to say it.

You know for sure nothing happpend via USPS, UPS, FeDX?

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a bunch of Leupolds, hope mine don’t start f....king up. They are all CDS models.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a bunch of Leupolds, hope mine don’t start f....king up. They are all CDS models.

Only CDS I bought was a 4-12, and I kept thinking the 300/221 had problems now and then. Then I realized that some misses after dialing were the scope.... I just had one a few weeks ago. I simply forgot to dial way down from the setting, then way up past the next setting and then back down to the needed setting. Lucky the 7 point just looked up, ran off a few steps and went back to eating... after readjusting the scope the next shot was right where I aimed... Nope I didn't screw up the first time.... good rest for gun, and for right elbow and such a chip shot around 112 steps....

As soon as I pay for a 458 Win mag I'll be saving for a 10x SS and put it on the 300/221 and send that and a 2.5-8 L back in that have given up the ghost.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I got out ahead of the problem, welded all of mine together end to end and now I use 'em for walking sticks.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Not an insult but how much do you really shoot and dial, honestly?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by smokepole

I got out ahead of the problem, welded all of mine together end to end and now I use 'em for walking sticks.

😃😃😃

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Go shoot some 4 or 5 inch squares at 100yds . Start at zero, pair on each corner and rtz. Should have 4 nice tight shots at original zero... you might or might not like what you find out.......good luck...... Better to find out on paper, than out on a hunt......

Last edited by renegade50; 12/19/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got rid of all my Leupolds except for one FX-III 6x42mm that's mounted on a compact .250-3000
Built the rifle years ago for my youngest whom is now grown. So, no pressing need to swap scopes as the rifle just sits in the safe.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.