Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Gee, Just awesome photos... Good shooting with both rifle and camera!!! Keep up the good work..

39th Anniversary on the 16th.

Consequently I'll not get back afield till the 17th. Birthday is the 21 and I always hunt on my birthday. Hopefully I'll be able to spend the time between the 17th and the 21st afield.

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Geedubya,

I always enjoy your photos and stories!

Thank you!

KW

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Geedubya,

I always enjoy your photos and stories!

Thank you!

KW

^^^This^^^

Plus I keep hoping GW will adopt me. wink. He's got the best knife collection on the Fire! grin

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
And I dulled more than one on this ol' boy/

[Linked Image]

190 lbs of Fugly. He had been wallowing in the mud and it had dried and along with about a 1" fat shield it was nasty! Nothing like cutting on "concrete" to dull a blade.

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks for the great pics and stories . Great thread.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The camera body is a Canon 7D MK II

G,

I was looking at those yesterday, On their website it says that one is full frame and the other is aps-c. Which one do you have ?

Thanks

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 12/13/17.
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Thanks for the great pics and stories . Great thread.

Spending time afield with a rifle and camera, then posting pix an spinning yarns keeps this ol' fart out of the bars and off the streets so to speak!

I posted on a different thread in regards to a 6 pt. cull I was lucky enough to take this weekend.

Jason S., AKA "Sakohunter 264" accompanied me on this trip.

It's like almost never that someone else skins the critters I shoot. However Jason decided to test out a couple of my knives.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My oldest son was there and between the two of them they loaded, unload and skinned this critter in short order.

We went out and set together in a blind that evening, hoping to pop a couple hoglets.

Jason had hunted this stand the day before and got there just a bit late and got busted by the hogs that were already there. So this evening we got out about an hour earlier. Hogs usually do not move about during the mid-afternoon, but perhaps it was the cool temps that made the difference as the hogs came in about 1.5 hours before dark-thirty.

One of the hogs in the sounder had unusual marking in that he was white with black spots. Jason decided to take him. I luv to line up doubles so I asked him to wait until I counted to three. He did and I did. We both got out primary target. I was shooting a 30-06 with 180 gr. Core-lokts and the bullet passed through the primary target and into another. It must have not been a killing shot as he ran into the brush about 10' away. A brief search turned up no blood or hoglet, so no big deal.

[Linked Image]

Jason and his hoglet!

[Linked Image]

and the "obligatory hero shot" of the two of us.

I pretty much hunt alone, but Jason is a hoot to hunt with.

ya!

GWB

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good stuff GW! Way to get out amongst 'em.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
The camera body is a Canon 7D MK II

G,

I was looking at those yesterday, On their website it says that one is full frame and the other is aps-c. Which one do you have ?

Thanks

Sorry for the tardy response. I missed this.

As a caveat, I operate within a narrow band of mediocrity. Consequently I will not attempt to dazzle you with my knowledge of photography or technical details. In that regards Google is your friend.

Anywho,

The 7D Mk II is a the APS-C sensor. I had been shooting a CanonT2i (also a APS-C sensor) when I decided to upgrade. The 5D MK 3 at that time was +/- $3,400, IIRC. I spent a good deal of time reading and studying. I went to the photo forum below, explained the type of "photoging" I did, and asked their opinion. At that time the 7D MK 2 had just came to market and IIRC is was under $2k. Based on my reading and input from the guys, I decided that the 7d mk 2 would best fit my needs. The 5D Mk 3 did not have a dedicated flash, and the 7dMk2 had an upgraded sensor, and could shoot 10 frames per second, and it would do all I needed at half the price of what a 5d MK3 cost at that time. Although I don't shoot a lot of video with the 7dMk2, it does a wonderful job of tracking. I mainly use the GoPro for video. I bought my camera from CameraLand NewYork who advertise here. Paid cash, no tax or shipping. If you buy the EF lenses they can be used on both full frame and crop sensor. IIRC the 5D MK3 was $1,599 at CLNY the last time I looked. Too many expenses now but the Mavic Pro Platinum Drone will most likely be my next purchase, followed by the 5DMK4. I'll problably not switch to mirrorless or Nikon due to my investment in lenses.

BTW, I mentioned the three lenses that are my "go to" lenses, but my kit also includes

the EF-S 24mm 1:2.8 STM

the EF 50mm 1:1.8 STM

the EF-S 10-18mm 1:4.5-5.6 IS STM

and the Canon Macro Lens, EF 100MM 1:2.8 USM

Usually I carry both the 24-70 mounted on the camera and the 150 by 600 in my pack. As mentioned before, with the 1.6 crop factor the 150 to 600 gives a pretty good range of telephoto capability!

Finally, Tamron has come out with an upgrade to the original 150-600. it is the "g2".

http://www.tamron-usa.com/product/lenses/a022.html

both Canon and Nikon mounts.

IMHO it would be hard to beat for the price!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/13/17.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
G,
I am lucky I can manage to turn my camera on, total newbie with them. As you well know the choices out there are dizzying and just trying to gather information so I can best spend what I have. I just regret not doing this sooner because I have had some incredible photo opportunities and did not take advantage of it . Thanks for your help and also providing those great photos I look forward to when opening one of your threads.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thank you for the kind words. I know there is a delicate balance in regards to "over-exposure" in areas other than photography! Please let me know when and if I'm guilty!

ya!

GWB

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great pics, man those auodad are badass!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just a great show.. Thanks!!!!

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
GWB, great photos and memories shared with many more in the near term horizon. Yea!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good stuff here

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.