Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Me again. Next evolution. I will try to address as many of the comments as I can. Cast bullets, barrel/action vise, etc.

Cast bullets are an obvious go to, but cast bullet shoot best out of a s-m-o-o-t-h barrel and this one ain;t. So, today I cast up a bunch of bullets out of pure lead with the intention of firelapping the barrel. I know this is a controversial technique, but I have done so on different project with good results. The first hurdle was how to get bullets big enough to lap, well, anything in this .316 barrel. Sooooo, I smooshed them in my vice until the .310 bullets fattened up to .317. It was surprisingly easy to get them consistent by watching the position of the vice handle. I used LBT fire lap goo, which is extremely fine, maybe 2000 grit. rolled the bulelts between two plates and loaded in the case in front of 2.5 grains of IMR 7625. The goal with firelapping is to move the bullets as slowly as possible and still exit the bore. fired 20. the bore seems to be shinier and smoother. Whether it is smooth enough, time will tell.

A couple of places appear to offer cast bullets up to .314-.315. I am tempted to try a few, but logic suggests they should be at least .3165 to shoot well from this barrel. Another idea would be to paper patch a generic .308 bullet up to .316. .308 bullets are everywhere, and I have lots of paper, and obviously way too much time.

Barrel and action vise. - The receiver "vise" was made out of soft"1 pine boards routed out to fit the profile of the receiver. These promptly cracked until I epoxied a could of layers of plywood on the back. So, soft pine to face the receiver and plywood for strength. The barrel "vise" was made out of two hunks of hedgwood (locust). The is the biological equivalent of iron. There are two blocks with a hold down the center.
The receiver side has a 7/8 hole and the other side 3/4. The four corners have 5/16 all thread with huge washers and nuts on both side. The idea is to sandwhich the receiver in the vise and the barrel between the two locust block and turn. I failed to get enough leverage so I epoxied a 5 ft 2x4 onto one of the locust blocks. Then it wanted to turn on the barrel, so I glues some .220 emery cloth into the cavity of the blocks.
Voila, that increased the purchase on the barrel enough. The barrel came off and nothing broke. Pure Rube Goldberg engineering, but the price was right and it worked.

I believe the next effort to get some accuracy will be to try the patched bullet idea and to lay in a supply of the cast bullet as close to .3165 as I can find. Frankly I am not expecting much because both patched and cast bullets want a smooth barrel. But what the heck. We'll let the testing tell the tale. More as it happens. Dan

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sometimes, counter intuitively, cast bullets will shoot ok in a rough bore. The drill is to shoot ten soft ones with normal lube at low velocity, clean with Ed's Red, dry patch, shoot ten more, repeat cleaning, repeat shooting, etc., until you have about 80 shots down the tube. The idea is to season the bore by filling the rough spots with lead. Under no circumstances take a wire brush to the bore during the break-in process, and not ever again afterward. The trick afterwards is to choose a bullet alloy and velocity that won't lead a normal barrel because from here on out you don't want to impose drastic cleaning measures that will disrupt the "seasoning". Not a guarantee, but it can't hurt to try it. Certainly jacketed bullets are verboten too unless you want to start the process all over again.

As for paper patching to get your cast bullets up to diameter, good luck. The rough bore will likely shred the paper off and wreck accuracy. But, nothing beats a try but a failure. See what happens!

Oversize bullets are available, but I would measure the throat first (chamber cast or pound cast) and try bullets sized to fit that. Anything larger, in an appropriately sized case neck may well not chamber. If say the throat is .310 (typical) I would try some dead soft .310 bullets at low velocity (1100-1200fps) and see what happens. A fast burning pistol powder might spank the base of the bullet hard enough to bump it up a few thousandths to seal the bore, something you won't get with a medium or slow burning powder.

Do keep us posted. I for one am interested anyways!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Martini Cadet with a pristine .316 groove diameter, which some goofball ran a .32-20 chamber reamer into undoubtedly to circumvent needing to make/find .310 Cadet ammo. Normal soft .312-.313 diameter 100 grain pistol bullets bump up sufficiently upon discharge to seal the bore well enough to give very good accuracy and no leading.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
CTW. This link was very helpful. Montana Bullet works also makes bullets up to .314, I believe. Believe I will check out both and report results after getting some of those bullets.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Next evolution.....

First thanks for the posts. Since my last I have had contact with the western bullet guy about his .314 -.316 offerings. More on that later.

I cast up some .310 bullet out of pure lead and smooshed them to .316 in an attempt to firelap the barrel. I was surprised how well I could control the diameter by the turn of the vise handle. Got them to .3155-.316 pretty easily. These bullets would seat into fired cases and just barely chamber in the throat of the rifle, so I assume I have found the upper limit of the bullet. Fire lapped 25 of the above using 2 grains of IMR 7625. Meticuously cleaned. The barrel looks better......I think.

Meanwhile a friend gave me a few Hornady .312 bullets to try. The working theory has been since the .308 bullets keyholed, the 7.62x39 .311 bullets did not keyhole and sorta kinda grouped, I would try the next size I could readily find. The goal being to see if the barrel had any accuracy potential, if fed the correct sized bullet. Today shot 5 into about 2" at 25 yards today. It was from a sitting position with elbow on knees and no other rest. The group was 8 " low, but that is a separate issue. The load was mild, 28 grains of H4895 and a 150 grain SP Hornady jacketed bullet. (Hey they were free) In the end, the shot into a group, not a pattern, so I believe the barrel might just serve.

I think the next step should be to order some cast .314-.316 bullets in a heavy-for-caliber-weight and give them a try. Like gnoahhhh suggests, it make take some tinkering to find the right combination, but we hope the long bearing surface will work well in the worn barrel.

BTW, gents, there surely must be a way top load pix on this site, but I have not yest found the tool. somebody advise me?

Next time.

Last edited by wheelerdan; 12/22/17. Reason: spell error
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wheelerdan, go to the image gallery. upload your pictures there
right click the image you want and copy image address
paste here with [img] address...........[/img] and it will put your pics here
even i ( a cave man) can do it!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Easy to do if you use a PC/Mac. If you use a phone or tablet, it sucks.

Other choices are things like imgr.com, flickr.com, etc.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ctw
Memory says the early 8x57 version used a .316 or .318 diameter bullet the 8x57J ?? Might be worth some research

A quick google search shows you can but the .316 cast bullet pretty reasonable

http://westernbullet.com/316oversize30.html

Western would have been the go to guy a decade ago but seems to have trouble filling orders lately.

Ebay could be a source of the same molds that Western uses. Unsized bullets from similar molds could be used too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
wheelerdan,

IF it was mine, I'd check out the "junk tables" at the local gun shows for another barrel for the old 99. = I've seen perfectly serviceable barrels, of various sorts, around The Alamo City shows for as little as 10-30 bucks.

LOTS of "modern Americans" wouldn't give 10 cents for a usable barrel in an "obsolete" caliber. = At the last "big show" here in SA about 1600 on Sunday I bought TWO perfectly suitable "take-offs" for 10 bucks each. = One is a Mauser sporter barrel in 9.3x57mm (The 9.3x57 has collected many moose/red deer/caribou in Europe for a century or more.) and the other was a 29" military barrel in 7x57mm off a Spanish Mauser.
(Both barrels will be used for "a project", sooner or later. - Perhaps I'll find a good 1893 Mauser action & then look for the other furniture to make-up a SA War Mauser from parts??)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sounds like a great project!

Take a look at NOE Moulds. They have a number of .316" diameter moulds available.

Here is a link for the 155gr bullet selection - LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I would go to the image gallery, but I I don't see it. That is why I asked where to upload pix. Where it he picture uploader?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
under the "Forums" link, scroll all the way down to the last group of links "Miscellaneous Topics". You'll find it there. Here is a link to it:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/80/1/image-gallery

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Continuing in the saga.

I loaded up 16 rounds of .313 pistol bullets ahead of 10 grains of IMR 7625. This should have produced about 1350 FPs. The day was cold. really cold. it was -8 F so the session was short. Good thing, too. There were no keyholes, but also no accuracy at 25 yards. The "pattern" had to be 15" and all over the paper. When I got home the bore was rough enough a cleaning patch would not pass. I switched to a brass brush. A few passes smoothed things out, so I conclude some leading must have occurred. Since the .312 jacket bullet grouped into about 2" @ 25 yards, these bullet must have stripped in the rifling or were too soft or both. This was a failed test. Onward to the next.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a 303 barrel that has been shortened by 1/2 " at the mussel .
you pay the shipping if it does not work so be it if it does trad me something

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Norm,

Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you if i can figure out how.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wheelerdan
Norm,

Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you if i can figure out how.

click on my name and a screen comes up with private message and other stuff.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Norm, I sent you a PM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wheelerdan
Norm, I sent you a PM.

NO PM on my computer try again

norm

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Members, I have decided not to pursue this project any further and sell the rifle as "functioning parts." Where is the classified section in the 24 hr campfire? Can somebody please direct me. The post will be for a complete savage 99 in .303 Savage, a resizing die and <20pc of brass.

D
D
To the best of my knowledge, Originally Savage 1895, and 1899 bores were .311 groove diameter.
This was changed to the 30 WCF standard of .308 around 1904.
J.R. Mattern's book "Handloading Ammunition" from 1926, notes this, and also states that many ammo manufacturers
Dropped the diameter of the bullets in their loaded cartridges from .311 to .308 around the time the book was published.
I have a mint 1920 vintage 1899 takedown in 303 Savage(Last year for the 1899 Model) and it will group .308 handloads in an inch or so at 100 yds with no keyholing at all, with original open sights. The bore slugs right at .308-.309
I have about 10 boxes of original Winchester 190 gr Silvertips, and at the time I acquired them there was a partial box as well, I shot those
Up on Targets and a couple of Deer , and 1 Hog and they were quite accurate as well. Also killed well as all 3 critters I shot with them were DRT.
My micrometer show the ones I have left now are .308 diameter.
I have read a number of stories over the years about variance in .303 bore diameters being rather large. Can't say as I ever heard or read of one as large as .316 before.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 69 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.