Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I do everything the right way

grin

PS: cept one thing. My mother taught me to wipe with the hand I didn't eat with, which she no doubt learned form her mother and her mother and her mother and so on and so on. Suspect that was a left over skill taught to youngin's by their mothers from generations long ago.

Last edited by 99guy; 12/12/17.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I may have been converted from left to right. As an adult I found out that my Mother considered being left handed a serious handicap. I think my first grade teacher had a hand in it too. I am strongly left eye dominant, shoot left handed and do things that I would have learned at an early age right handed. No one checked me for eye dominance. I don't think I heard about it until I started shooting competition in GTMO. I remember switching a toy rifle from one shoulder to the other and settling on left as being more comfortable. Everything else that requires aiming, shooting pool, shooting a slingshot or bow and arrow I automatically took up doing left handed. Interesting thread. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The catholic grade school I attended told me left handed people are satanic. They told me they should cut off my left and make me use my right. They were overflowing with compassion and understanding. So.... I have an excuse for my degenerate ways.

I am left handed, right eye dominant. For some unknown reason, when I pick up a gun, I always feel more comfortable shooting right handed. Doesn't feel bad shooting lefty and sometimes do at the range in case its more practical in the field. Got a deer or two shooting southpaw cause necessity dictated. Left handers are much more adaptable than righties. We have to live in a right handed world. Micrometers, scissors are prime examples. Lefties are more ambidextrous out of necessity. Most right handers I know are useless with their left hand.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Hmmmmmm...

All you lefties are in good company. A partial list of famous people who are also left handed: Obama, Bill Clinton, John McCain, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Hugo Chavez, NY Mayor Bloomberg, Oprah Winfrey. Just saying... whistle grin

Dammmm Gary. You sure know how to hurt a fellow.
Leornado DaVinci, Michelangelo, Jimmi Hendrix, Babe Ruth, Me grin to balance out the lefty scale a wee bit.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hmmmmmm...

All you lefties are in good company. A partial list of famous people who are also left handed: Obama, Bill Clinton, John McCain, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Hugo Chavez, NY Mayor Bloomberg, Oprah Winfrey. Just saying... whistle grin

You forgot to add...Obama to the list.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Regarding "conversion," I used to work with an economist from Pakistan who had been "converted" from a natural lefty to a full-bore righty. In the Pakistani religious madrasa that he attended before coming to the US and attending NYU, they simply beat his left hand until he COULDN'T use it for anything delicate like writing or eating. After a few weeks of that, he was right-handed for everything but wiping....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hmmmmmm...

Reagan was left handed. wink

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Shoot handguns/rifles left handed. Left eye dominant.

Started guitar and bow right handed in the late 1970s (about 12 yo) for the same reasons. The only guitars and bows around my house we’re my older brothers, and he’s right handed. I remember asking him if I could restring his guitar inverted (to make it left handed), his reply was something like: “only if you want me to break your fingers”. I’m a pretty decent guitar player and archer. I’m not going to lie, 3 bows and 30 + years later, it’s STILL weird using my right eye through the peep sight on my bow string. I’m too old/far in to change to “lefty” now.

One last note. I HAD to learn (younger than guitar/bow) how to use right handed scissors, because left handed scissors are rare, and any lefty knows, if you try to cut paper with right handed scissors in your left hand, it just “flips” the paper (won’t cut it).

Don’t even get me started on slicing bread with serated knives, or trying to write on the right page of loose leaf binders. :-) -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The plains Indians were more gentle than the "Pakistani religious madrasa", they just tied the kids hand behind his back until he learned to do everything right handed.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eat, write, shoot a long gun, or bow LH, throw, kick or any physical sport RH. Left eye dominate.
I can shoot a hand gun with either hand, but my right is stronger, steadier, so mostly shoot a handgun right handed.
My first handgun was a Single-Six and I bought a LH holster for it. When I was younger I was about equal with either hand, shooting pistolas.

IC B3

Rick99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Google states 10% of the population is left handed. So far, out of 60 replies 40% report that they shoot long guns left handed. I wonder if this is because the 99 is popular with left handed shooters?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting deduction! Makes sense.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TomT
Shoot handguns/rifles left handed. Left eye dominant.

Started guitar and bow right handed in the late 1970s (about 12 yo) for the same reasons. The only guitars and bows around my house we’re my older brothers, and he’s right handed. I remember asking him if I could restring his guitar inverted (to make it left handed), his reply was something like: “only if you want me to break your fingers”. I’m a pretty decent guitar player and archer. I’m not going to lie, 3 bows and 30 + years later, it’s STILL weird using my right eye through the peep sight on my bow string. I’m too old/far in to change to “lefty” now.

One last note. I HAD to learn (younger than guitar/bow) how to use right handed scissors, because left handed scissors are rare, and any lefty knows, if you try to cut paper with right handed scissors in your left hand, it just “flips” the paper (won’t cut it).

Don’t even get me started on slicing bread with serated knives, or trying to write on the right page of loose leaf binders. :-) -TomT

As a guitar player I have always felt that guitars are named backwards. Your strumming or picking hand does a lot less technical work than your fretting hand. If you can not get your fretting hand to play complicated cords quickly and precisely it does not matter what your strumming, picking or bowing hand does. Why use your weak hand for the hard part? It takes two hands to play the instrument.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wikipedia reports that 1/3rd of the population is left eye dominant. So 40% shooting long guns left handed isn't too incorrect.

Now, if you'd split out rifles and shotguns you probably would get more right-handers on rifles. Scopes simply allow a lot of left eye dominant people to shoot very well using their right eye.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RH and right eye dominant. Fit Italian suits and O/U shotguns off the rack. wink

Last edited by olgrouser; 12/13/17.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm right handed both hand and eye.

Last edited by Shortgrub; 12/13/17.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Righty here

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I thought I replied, but I don't see it. Another righty, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I see your point Whackem-Stackem, never really thought of it like that before. Apparently,’I’ve been doing it right all along 😁 (pun intended). -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting rifles I am nearly 100% left handed.

Shooting handguns I am about 2/3 left handed & 1/3 right handed even though I shoot a handgun slightly better right handed.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1moredeer, 1234, 1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,103
Posts18,464,194
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.