-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bitcoin etc are priced in dollars and they're all going parabolic. It seems there would be a corresponding degradation in the value of the dollar and/or gold?

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
GB1

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
You can buy bitcoins in any currency you like.

The (petro) dollar is going down and China, Russia, and some other countries are doing their best to crash it. Bitcoin nor the dollar is attached to gold. Gold, Silver, and the currencies of countries can be manipulated and is manipulated by the International Banks. Cryptocurrency cannot be manipulated by the International Banks and that is what they hate about it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The price you see Bitcoin trading in is in dollars and it's going through the roof. It doesn't matter what you can buy it with, when the price relative to the dollar is parabolic, the value of the dollar vs Bitcoin is tanking. That can't last long imo.

MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you want to be confused, read up on how bit coin works.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

Yeah, it is confusing. I'll tell you what's the biggest threat to Bitcoin- the greenies. All these crypto currency "miners" are running high powered computers systems 24/7 to serve no need other than collecting Bitcoins. There are single purpose systems out there that do nothing else and run up power bills on the order of $1,000/month. Wait until the environmentalists figure this stuff out.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The majority of the big “miners” are in China and are rumored to have some affiliation with The various Chinese military companies. There is a flood of demand from small investors and individuals who need to avoid sanctions in various countries.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

Yeah, it is confusing. I'll tell you what's the biggest threat to Bitcoin- the greenies. All these crypto currency "miners" are running high powered computers systems 24/7 to serve no need other than collecting Bitcoins. There are single purpose systems out there that do nothing else and run up power bills on the order of $1,000/month. Wait until the environmentalists figure this stuff out.

Oh, that ship has sailed! The greenies are already claiming the sky is falling.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/07/technology/bitcoin-energy-environment/index.html

"Bitcoin uses about 32 terawatts of energy every year, enough to power about three million U.S. households, according to the Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index published by Digiconomist, a website focused on digital currencies.

By comparison, processing the billions of Visa (V) transactions that take place each year consumes the same amount of power as just 50,000 American homes, according to Digiconomist.

More worryingly, Bitcoin's energy demands are set to explode.

"As bitcoin grows, the math problems computers must solve to make more bitcoin get more and more difficult," which means more processing power is needed, Holthaus wrote.

And he made a startling forecast: Without a significant change in how transactions are processed, bitcoin could be consuming enough electricity to power the U.S. by the middle of 2019.

Six months later, that demand could equal the world's power consumption.

The fact that most bitcoin is mined in China is also fueling the environmental concerns.

The country's hinterlands have proved attractive for the data centers that bitcoin mining requires because "electricity and land are very cheap," researchers at the University of Cambridge wrote in a recent study.

A lot of the energy in provincial China comes from inefficient, coal-fired power plants that were built in anticipation of big construction projects that never happened, according to the researchers."

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Dutch

Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

Oh, that ship has sailed! The greenies are already claiming the sky is falling.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/07/technology/bitcoin-energy-environment/index.html

"Bitcoin uses about 32 terawatts of energy every year, enough to power about three million U.S. households, according to the Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index published by Digiconomist, a website focused on digital currencies.

By comparison, processing the billions of Visa (V) transactions that take place each year consumes the same amount of power as just 50,000 American homes, according to Digiconomist.

More worryingly, Bitcoin's energy demands are set to explode.

"As bitcoin grows, the math problems computers must solve to make more bitcoin get more and more difficult," which means more processing power is needed, Holthaus wrote.

And he made a startling forecast: Without a significant change in how transactions are processed, bitcoin could be consuming enough electricity to power the U.S. by the middle of 2019.

Six months later, that demand could equal the world's power consumption.

The fact that most bitcoin is mined in China is also fueling the environmental concerns.

The country's hinterlands have proved attractive for the data centers that bitcoin mining requires because "electricity and land are very cheap," researchers at the University of Cambridge wrote in a recent study.

A lot of the energy in provincial China comes from inefficient, coal-fired power plants that were built in anticipation of big construction projects that never happened, according to the researchers."

That Digiconomist guy is a real nutter. He makes Al Gore look like a Global Warming skeptic. He has no credibility at all.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

No kidding. I've tried several times and had an investor try to explain it to me. I just can't wrap my head around something that doesn't exist but has such high value. I'm comfortable and not looking to make a killing in the market, although I have this year, and don't mind passing on the crypto currency windfall.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
North Korea hackers are stealing bitcoins daily! That alone should drop the price to 0 worth!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

No kidding. I've tried several times and had an investor try to explain it to me. I just can't wrap my head around something that doesn't exist but has such high value. I'm comfortable and not looking to make a killing in the market, although I have this year, and don't mind passing on the crypto currency windfall.

Was always warned to not invest in things you don’t understand So no bitcoin bonanza for me

Fortunately I get how Amazon and ford motor co and some other entities work

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This is all you need to know about the "energy problem" - put it to rest. Bitcoin is saving the world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T0OUIW89II

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

That Digiconomist guy is a real nutter. He makes Al Gore look like a Global Warming skeptic. He has no credibility at all.

Do you mean the sky isn't falling? That the greenies are....... wrong?

Say it ain't so!

Whatever, still not buying Bitcoin.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Sounds like a giant ponzi scheme, spend real money to buy something hyped up with no actual value or solid material backing. And it exists in the nether world of the .www and is heavily done by countries like China . Buyer beware .... and what happens to the worldwide market when this crashes. Someone is getting rich with real money off this right now.

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by renegade50
Sounds like a giant ponzi scheme, spend real money to buy something hyped up with no actual value or solid material backing. And it exists in the nether world of the .www and is heavily done by countries like China . Buyer beware .... and what happens to the worldwide market when this crashes. Someone is getting rich with real money off this right now.

Oh not so, you can buy bitcoins with fiat money (petro dollars), no need to use gold or silver. whistle

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by K22

Oh not so, you can buy bitcoins with fiat money (petro dollars), no need to use gold or silver. whistle

Or mine it while arguing with folks on The Fire.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by K22

Or mine it while arguing with folks on The Fire.

laugh

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.