Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TomM1
Originally Posted by smokepole
Meat Eater.

x2, keep waiting for Netflix to add another season. Only hunting show Ive ever enjoyed.

I was talking about the book but the TV series is good too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like Randy Newburg and meateater. If I were giving advise to a new hunter in general I would say hunt and spend time in the woods.
Own one rifle and own it. Shoot it as much as you can afford to. Stay in good physical condition and you will enjoy the effort even more. I feel I was fortunate to have a woods to hunt when I was a kid but when I took it up again as an adult I was fortunate to have a place and a long season. Maybe even more fortunate not to have too much information so I learned in the woods. Being older and fatter I do enjoy being an armchair hunter. But not as much as the real deal.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Meat Eater.

x2, keep waiting for Netflix to add another season. Only hunting show Ive ever enjoyed.

Never new there was a book, going to have to check that out.

Good advice from Fireball2 concerning hunting how and what YOU want. Took me years to realize I was out there for me, my satisfaction, my self approval, my feeling of satisfaction regardless if successful or not. You will never achieve these things unless true to yourself. There was a professor from Wisconsin that noted the Sportsman has no audience as other sporting events do. You only have yourself to either approve of or disapprove of your actions.

Gues you could add Mr Aldo Leopold to the readings list. My favorite being Essays from Round River.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for all the advice guys, checked out a Meateater episode and really enjoyed it. Also checked out the HIGHLANDER HUNTING PODCAST and found they had some great advice on tactics and gear for the mountain/foothill hiking style of hunting i plan on doing more next season.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Meat Eater.

Never new there was a book, going to have to check that out.

Good advice from Fireball2 concerning hunting how and what YOU want. Took me years to realize I was out there for me, my satisfaction, my self approval, my feeling of satisfaction regardless if successful or not. You will never achieve these things unless true to yourself. There was a professor from Wisconsin that noted the Sportsman has no audience as other sporting events do. You only have yourself to either approve of or disapprove of your actions.

Gues you could add Mr Aldo Leopold to the readings list. My favorite being Essays from Round River.

We're even then, I never knew Aldo Leopold was from Wisconsin.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I like Randy Newburg and meateater. If I were giving advise to a new hunter in general I would say hunt and spend time in the woods.
Own one rifle and own it. Shoot it as much as you can afford to. Stay in good physical condition and you will enjoy the effort even more. I feel I was fortunate to have a woods to hunt when I was a kid but when I took it up again as an adult I was fortunate to have a place and a long season. Maybe even more fortunate not to have too much information so I learned in the woods. Being older and fatter I do enjoy being an armchair hunter. But not as much as the real deal.

This is great advice right here.

Any time spent away from development even if not in your hunting area... is valuable. I like to take my kids backpacking and use my hunting equipment so I’m familiar with it. Also practicing the art of being fully present in the moment just sitting and watching with a clear mind and focus, devices put away, watching wild animals is huge. I like to go birdwatching with my kids because it gives me time to practice this (and teach them).

That brings me to another point. I don’t know how old you are, but if you’re going to be successful in the field only use devices when you have to. I’m a huge fan of OnXMaps and use it a lot, but I also go out of my way to put my device away and observe landmarks and where I am which is more important than data Lite images. When sitting I keep it stashed too, because I can’t count the number of times I’ve caught the slightest, briefest glimpse of an animal that I coulda missed completely if I’d have even glanced down at a text. The other thing related to this is be sure to leave the GPS (smart phone) put away and learn to use a map & compass which should always be on you when afield. Reliance on batteries can get you in trouble quickly!

Best of luck you’ve found a wealth of knowledge here I’ve learned a ton from these guys here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We're even then, I never knew Aldo Leopold was from Wisconsin.

IIRC, he hailed from Iowa. But he was indeed a professor @ the UW.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can learn a ton from all of Randy Newberg's content. he posts here from time to time as Big Fin. He is a great guy as well!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Watch Keith Warren. He will show you everything you need to know. EYE ROLL! Lots of good info found all through this forum. I read here everyday for years before i finally joined.

Proud supporter of the NRA.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Plenty of good info thus far. By far my favorite reference is 24hourcampfire.com. I see books as a way to understand how things used to be done. When I want to talk to the real experts, I come to the 'fire. You'll be able to pick out BS artists pretty quickly, but most people here really know what they're talking about and you can have an actual conversation with them rather than trying to figure out what somebody left out of a book.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Took me years to realize I was out there for me, my satisfaction, my self approval, my feeling of satisfaction regardless if successful or not. You will never achieve these things unless true to yourself. There was a professor from Wisconsin that noted the Sportsman has no audience as other sporting events do. You only have yourself to either approve of or disapprove of your actions.

You made my day when I read this.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by geedubya

Took me years to realize I was out there for me, my satisfaction, my self approval, my feeling of satisfaction regardless if successful or not. You will never achieve these things unless true to yourself. There was a professor from Wisconsin that noted the Sportsman has no audience as other sporting events do. You only have yourself to either approve of or disapprove of your actions.

Best,

GWB

Thanks geed, glad I could make the day of a gentlemen such as yourself. I give all the credit to the flu/cold medicine 🤕

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by geedubya

Best,

GWB

I have been telling my daughter much the same. It is good life advice for sure.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
That pretty much spells out life... hunting is "just" the epitome of it. In a simpler format.

Last edited by las; 12/16/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the advice guys, and if you have more,please keep it coming. Figure while the snow is on the ground, it's a good time to read books/ watch videos/ listen to Podcasts while I'm driving. If any other newer hunters are out there I've found "Highlander Hunting Podcast " really helpful. Their podcast caters to the new guy getting into the game. Lots of talk about where to start/ gear to consider. Audio didn't start out great, but got much better several episodes in. If anyone is starting from scratch, here is their website:
https://highlanderhunting.wordpress.com

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
*Another thought. All this long range hunting that is so prevalent nowadays is serious business. With excitement levels high for new hunters, and experience levels low, avoid long shots. When you see game practice your stalking, even if it's not a "shooter". Every time you successfully"kill" (even when not pulling the trigger) after a good stalk, you'll become calmer and more confident. This is the essence of a great hunter. patience, skill, confidence. Anyone can bang away at 600 yards and say, "Did I hit it? Do you see where it went?" Don't be that guy.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hunting coyotes in the “off-season,” is the best way I know of to quickly develop most of the skills necessary to be a good big game hunter.

You may only get a week or two every year to hunt deer/elk.... but you can hunt coyotes for most of the year. Coyotes do many of the same things that game animals do, they live in the same places as deer/elk, and often hunt them too. You can call them, spot and stalk them, ambush them from a hide on known travel route, spot one running across the road and Chinese Fire Drill it off the hood of the truck, etc. They’re small, they move pretty quick.... and they’re aweful tough to hit if you don’t have your wits about you, or can’t adjust shooting positions on the fly.

All that stuff translates to big game hunting. I can’t think of a shot I’ve taken at a big game animal, that I haven’t taken several times at a coyote.... including the CFD off the hood of the truck.

PS..... learn how to not use a bi-pod.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being able to post good pictures is a must.

Black Cows Matter!
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by muleshoe

Originally Posted by muleshoe

Off topic- but what kind of cameras is everyone using in the field?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Iphone6S+

Wife is a professional photographer, gave me her old old camera, then when I got this phone said leave the camera home and use the phone it’s just as good and you’ll take more photos.

Works nicely...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 41 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,133
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.