Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Another vote for the KUIU Icon Pro. I have a couple different bags, the 1850
Is great for day hunts. I bought a used 3200, but it is a little on the small side for multiple nights.

I tried on the both Kuiu Icon Pro and the Ultra 6000. I like all the pockets in the 5200. I compared it to the Ultra 6000 and finally bought the 6000 because it weighs less. They both carry well with a 7 gallon jug full of water.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have used most of the highend packs available since the mid-60s, here in BC and AB and my longtime favourite was Dana Design-Mystery Ranch, but, since 2015, I have two Seek Outside packs, a Divide MC for hunting and an Exposure 5000. I also have a Bozo-Dana Terraframe, slightly modded for packing any quarters I may harvest and that will do it for my remaining time in the mountains.

I cannot recommend SO too highly and their quality, design and superb CS are outstanding.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have done nearly all of my hunting in the east for deer but prefer to hunt big expanses of public land when possible. For day trips I use an Eberlestock X2 pack. For an overnight or 2 in decent weather I use an Eberlestock Mainframe with a Transformer pack. For more than that or in bad weather where I have to carry more gear I use a KUIU Icon Pro 5200.

I like all of the packs. The Eberlestock packs are heavy compared to the KUIU but are very durable. All of the packs are a bit too small for week long trips unless the weather is going to be nice. I have a simple 80 liter backpack from Cabelas that I use on longer trips. On longer trips where I set up a base camp, I use the Cabelas backpack to take most of my gear then I hike back and bring Cabela's frame pack or a day pack with haul the rest of my gear. This is only practical if I am only going a couple miles in but it makes living more comforatable.

KC #12467315 12/14/17
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
7 gallons.........ugh!

Lefty

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, your requirements are basic, as stated. You can get something that will do the job well, including hauling meat, for less $ than a top-of-the-line pack. But the pack will weigh about twice as much, and will sacrifice convenience features. So if there’s a $ or weight limit, better say so ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Been using mystery ranch for about 15 years now.

I have used the penguin, crew cab, 6500, and Metcalf...for your needs, I think either the 6500 (or equivalent) or the Metcalf.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
7 gallons.........ugh!

Lefty

Lefty:

I figure that a 7 gallon Jeep can full of water weighs almost as much as a hind quarter.

I had been looking at buying one of the Kuiu packs for several months but I wasn't satisfied with their mail order try-it-and-return-it policy. I didn't want to buy a backpack that I couldn't try on and load up. Shipping is free but you have to pay for return shipping. So if you don't like it, you have to pay just to try it on. Eventually Kuiu's traveling dog and pony show came to Colorado Springs for a few days and I went down to the trailer to check things out.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Favorite is still a 93 or 94 (whatever year they were introduced) pre release terraplane overkill that I got in prodeal when I was a teenager. Most used is MR NiCE with crewcab or meat bag against the frame under the longbow. Next year I’ll be running the MR GUIDELIGHT frame not sure which bag yet.

If it needs to last forever AND carry well you need either mystery ranch or old PRE MR Dana design

Last edited by 175rltw; 12/26/17.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[Linked Image]

Hunts,

would you mind sharing a picture of that game cart unloaded? I'm building one myself, and am curious how you might have yours configured. is that an oversized tire?

I'm using the rear end of an old 10 speed frame, replacing the seat tube with the handlebar tube and assembly. brakes work good so far. no blood on it yet. =/

Billy Goat

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BG, I don't have pics unloaded. My plywood and panniers are permanently attached. Mine is a Honey Badger Wheel. Here's a link

https://www.honeybadgerwheel.com/collections/options

I like the packwheel frame better. linky

http://www.packwheel.com/

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
BG, I don't have pics unloaded. My plywood and panniers are permanently attached. Mine is a Honey Badger Wheel. Here's a link

https://www.honeybadgerwheel.com/collections/options

I like the packwheel frame better. linky

http://www.packwheel.com/

thanks for the links. very nice rigs there.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I use a Arcteryx Bora 80.

Handles big loads in comfort and keeps things dry. It ain’t a lightweight pack though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 175rltw

If it needs to last forever AND carry well you need either mystery ranch or old PRE MR Dana design

There are lots of good packs that carry well and are built to last. Kifaru LOnghunter Generation 2 would be my pick.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You’re right, my bad

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 175rltw
You’re right, my bad

Dang, you must be new here..... grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hunsman22, When did you give up horses for a one wheeled mule?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolute statements are really easy to sharpshoot. Plus I’ve got a wife and kid if I feel Like arguing. plus I am not worried how anyone else kits up, it’s not an issue for me- Schitt Riggins is my hunting buddy. Plus refuting me in no way detracts from the credibility of MR gear. Pretty much a nonissue all the way around. If I was smart I would’ve simply stuck with stating my preference- or not

Last edited by 175rltw; 12/27/17.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, everyone has favorite gear but the more I see, the more I understand that there's more then one way to skin a cat. Especially for things like packs and boots, some of it comes down to how they fit and everyone's different.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have underwear older than most folks on this thread and have been backpack hunting in Alaska every year since the mid-'70's. That said, I've always been interested in trying things out for myself and forming opinions based on first-hand experience.

The first real pack I owned was a Kelty external frame pack and it carried its share of bear, moose, sheep, goat, caribou, and sitka blacktail. Since then I've been using internal frame packs beginning with Gregory, then a Dana Design TerraPlane Guide model (1000d - heavy but built like a brick sh*t house). Perhaps a couple decades ago I started using Kifaru packs (EMR, MMR, and various smaller packs, and then a Longhunter Guide). I've also recently owned and used a Mystery Ranch 6500 and a MR Marshall and a MR Metcalf. Also still own a Kuiu Icon with both small and large bags.

A couple/three observations: The best carrying packs in my opinion and based on my experience are MR and Kifaru. The new MR made-overseas packs are cheesy compared with the US-made packs, but lighter. Don't like the skinny little buckles and belts on the new MR packs (other readers may love them but I don't). The one pack that has survived all of that (anyone want to buy a Kuiu Icon?) is my 10-year-old Kifaru Longhunter Guide (no longer made I think). It has lots of scars and blood stains but it continues to be my choice based on a reasonable amount of first-hand experience.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.