Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I really like the VX-5 HD I won from Doug (and Leupold). It's a 2-10 and very bright; a very nice scope. Got my fingers crossed that it's going to be okay. The reticle is straight, anyway. Only has enough rounds in it for sighting in so far.

Appreciate Doug going to bat over the Leupold issues. A big retailer ought to pull some weight.

I think a maker will listen to a big volume dealer. Another reason for shopping with those guys.

I have a couple of the VX-6 2-12x42 and like them. How does the VX-5 compare with the VX-6?

DF

Can't say offhand, other than it has 5-1 zoom instead of 6-1. I won this thing, didn't shop it. Hoping for the best, prepared for what comes.

Can't recall anyone saying if the Leupy faults are a result of poor design, poor materials, bad qc, or some devil's brew combination of some or all of those things. Whatever it is, it's fair to say they know all about it and are okay with it because the bottom line supports the staus quo. Don't need any scopes right now, so I'm riding out what I've got and will make decisions on replacements as needed.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
The Leupold VX-5HD series is excellent that I am sure you'll enjoy. With any product there can be a few that slip through with an issue. No mfg is perfect, however, with the incredible amount of Leupold scopes sold each year their defect rate is actually very minimal.

FWIW, I have been speaking with the powers that be the last few days about the recent Leupold posts here on the forum and working with them in reference to QC and CS.

If any of you here have a Leupold issue, please always feel free to call me, whether you purchased it from us or not, and we will do our best to help you out.

If you ever receive any product from us that turns out to be an initial defective, we will get it straightened out ASAP.

Doug,

How does the VX-5 compare with the VX-6?

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As with the Swarovski Z5 vs Z6 the only real difference is the power ratio of the zoom
5 times zoom vs 6x
Quality of guts and glass are the same

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think that the Z5 and Z6 glass are the same in the lower power Z6 scopes but it is my understanding that Swaro uses HD glass in the Z6 scopes above 12X. I'm not 100% sure on the cut off power where HD glass is used. The erector assembly is the same I do believe.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 12/16/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Low light and fine reticle I don't think should be in the same post. Just this week my new 3-9x33 AO .22 rimfire Leupold came in with the Fine Duplex and honestly I think that it might even be too fine. I've nearly lost shooting at a deer in low light with the standard Leupold Duplex. I know you said lighted and on a larger scope, but I've not ever been a lighted reticle gizmo guy and at medium-high power with a second plane reticle, that fine crosshair is going to look very fine. I surely would not order one mail order without checking one out at the store first to make sure that it is going to work for you. Ask if they will let you take it outside at dusk, because they all look good across the store under florescent lights.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
As with the Swarovski Z5 vs Z6 the only real difference is the power ratio of the zoom
5 times zoom vs 6x

Doug, if you get a chance to talk to the Leupold marketing folks, please forward a few comments from a guy who has spent 15 years working in digital advertising for brands like Microsoft, Starbucks, and T-Mobile:
1. Fix your freaking website, especially how the reticle finder and the All Products pages drive users to specific scopes. That functionality does NOT work properly. Right now, the values I enter into the filters fall away after 2-3 searches. That makes it very hard to conduct an in-depth comparison of Leupold products, which is infuriating. I've discovered that the Schmidt & Bender and Nightforce sites don't have this problem, but if the Leupold site worked properly, then I never would have considered either of those brands.
2. You cheapen the brand when you stuff a holiday gift guide into the marquee. That's an email campaign, guys. Have some dignity and don’t wave a brochure under my nose on the home page.
3. Differentiate your offerings more clearly. If the only difference between the VX-5 and the VX-6 is the variable range, then say so. The existing content is not clear about this—it just looks like Leupold claiming that every scope they make is ideal for everything a shooter wants to do, which is not true. Give me actual reasons to choose a higher-priced scope over a lower-priced one, and make that reason something I can hang my hat on, not some product manager's bullshit list of superlatives and weasel words. Otherwise, I’m going to look for the feature I want (like an illuminated reticle) at the lowest possible price point and ignore everything else you say.
4. Thin out the offerings and simplify the names. Having 26 product categories with near-identical product names just confuses people. It doesn’t matter if they’re Red, Blue, and Green, just make it so they’re clearly different at first glance. Benchmade does a great job of this.

I've been using, trusting, and recommending Leupold products for decades, but the head office needs to fix some stuff with their brand RIGHT NOW.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie john
5 times zoom vs 6x

Doug, if you get a chance to talk to the Leupold marketing folks, please forward a few comments from a guy who has spent 15 years working in digital advertising for brands like Microsoft, Starbucks, and T-Mobile:
1. Fix your freaking website, especially how the reticle finder and the All Products pages drive users to specific scopes. That functionality does NOT work properly. Right now, the values I enter into the filters fall away after 2-3 searches. That makes it very hard to conduct an in-depth comparison of Leupold products, which is infuriating. I've discovered that the Schmidt & Bender and Nightforce sites don't have this problem, but if the Leupold site worked properly, then I never would have considered either of those brands.
2. You cheapen the brand when you stuff a holiday gift guide into the marquee. That's an email campaign, guys. Have some dignity and don’t wave a brochure under my nose on the home page.
3. Differentiate your offerings more clearly. If the only difference between the VX-5 and the VX-6 is the variable range, then say so. The existing content is not clear about this—it just looks like Leupold claiming that every scope they make is ideal for everything a shooter wants to do, which is not true. Give me actual reasons to choose a higher-priced scope over a lower-priced one, and make that reason something I can hang my hat on, not some product manager's bullshit list of superlatives and weasel words. Otherwise, I’m going to look for the feature I want (like an illuminated reticle) at the lowest possible price point and ignore everything else you say.
4. Thin out the offerings and simplify the names. Having 26 product categories with near-identical product names just confuses people. It doesn’t matter if they’re Red, Blue, and Green, just make it so they’re clearly different at first glance. Benchmade does a great job of this.

I've been using, trusting, and recommending Leupold products for decades, but the head office needs to fix some stuff with their brand RIGHT NOW.

Okie John

John,
As requested I have forwarded your post to the powers that be. I thought what you've written is well thought out, well written and concise. I will let you know what type of response I get
Thanks for taking the time. This is how issues get resolved smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks. I've always liked Leupold and respected how they did business. I hope they get through this rough patch soon.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good post, John. Well said.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Good post, John. Well said.

Agree.

I hope Leupold listens to what John has said.

Hopefully the "bean counters" aren't running the show. That's one thing I always admired about Bill Ruger, he never let those guys control his company. When innovators, engineers and product developers lose out to strickly financial interests, just ROI, things tend to go south. There is no job, no industry with the sole mission of "making money". Just the govt. can do that, others are visited by Treasury Agents... shocked

You make a product and if it's a good one, people buy it and you are rewarded, an honest profit results. Making money should never be considered to be the core business... wink

DF

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thank you for the kind words. I REALLY want to see Leupold turn things around.

Okie John

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Agree with both okie John and Dirtfarmers post!
I too had a lot of trouble with Leupold's website and just gave up. They seem to believe the marketing BS that more products created results in more sales.
Like chain restaurants have found, you just create more complexity, both for your customers and the company, with a resulting loss of quality of execution, and eventually lower profits.

Like Bill Ruger did, build it right the first time, give the customer what they want, and profits and long term growth will result

Trading on GB as Cajunchef,
God Bless America!
Charles Ray, Jr.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.