Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Do any of you have experience with this bullet? What is your prefered shot placement? I'm curious about shoulder shots on whitetails using this bullet. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

GB1

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used the same bullet in my 7x57 launched at 3000 fps. Took a nice 6 pt and two hogs. All were one shot kills. The Buck and one hog were DRT, the other hog ran 30 yards before piling up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My daughter and grandkids have probably taken a couple of pickup loads of mule deer, Coues whitetails and pronghorns with that combination, along with one 400-lb. cow elk. Hit them in a vital spot and they will die quickly.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
120gr Nos kills like the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great deer bullet. Impressive as hell.

In all honesty, if I ever get back into a 7-08 all I’ll run will be 120gr Ballistic Tips, or even better, 120gr TTSX. Both bullets are almost sadistic toward game animals.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 12/15/17.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mngunhead,

With this bullet you are going to get a lot of positive feedback, and for good reason. It is a tremendous bullet.
I ran it exclusively for 2 years in my 284 Winchester and over those 2 years it got tested on a truckload of deer

I prefer to shoot Deer with that bullet broadside about 2" above the elbow joint clipping the plumbing and shotgunning the oxygen storage compartment before exiting. I often see a 100 yard death dash with a scenic blood trail left behind.

Again, a tremendous bullet for Deer in that 7-08.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
With deer , pigs and antelope I've been a fan of placing the ballistic tip in the ribs. My 7mm08 shoots those great with 3 different powders. Great lights out results

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've only killed one big with a 120 grain 7mm ballistic tip, a 100 pound hog shot with a 7mm/08. I shot her quartering away hard, with an entry right in front of her ham and exited the opposite shoulder. Impressive penetration!

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just one of the many poster children on the c.f. extolling the virtues of a 120 grain nosler ballistic tip, 7mm-08 combination. It speaks the truth on elk.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I've drop quite a few whitetails and one hog with 120 gr 7mm NBT. All one shot drop. Can't ask for a better bullet.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
It will stop Deer and Antelope from playing quick fast and in a hurry !

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by LNF150
Just one of the many poster children on the c.f. extolling the virtues of a 120 grain nosler ballistic tip, 7mm-08 combination. It speaks the truth on elk.

[Linked Image]

I remember this story!

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mngunhead
Do any of you have experience with this bullet? What is your prefered shot placement? I'm curious about shoulder shots on whitetails using this bullet. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

I have quite a bit of experiance with that combo.
Prefered shot placement is neck or center of chest right behind shoulder (placement is not bullet/caliber specific its the same for 30 caliber as well)
Have taken shoulder shots on whitetails...no issues.
Have taken some large hogs with rifle'bullet combo...no issues.
For the type of hunting I do in South West Ga, and the game I hunt, the 120 BT is my prefered bullet in 7-08

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
not to derail the thread but what are y'alls opinions on the 120 grain sst vs 120 grain bt as far as bullet construction and on game performance?? i've got some hornady custom lite 7mm-08 ammo loaded with the 120 grain sst is the reason i ask and my 6yo does great shooting with these. but, my plan was to slip some 140 grain core-lokts in the mag as i didn't figure he would notice when shooting at a deer. my tikka shoots the aforementioned ammo to approx the same poi with the cl being 1" higher at 100yds.so,would y'all try the 120 grain sst on the mag or do the ole switcharoo and slip 3 140 grain core-lokts in for a broadside 60yd shoulder shot??

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whitearrow
not to derail the thread but what are y'alls opinions on the 120 grain sst vs 120 grain bt as far as bullet construction and on game performance?? i've got some hornady custom lite 7mm-08 ammo loaded with the 120 grain sst is the reason i ask and my 6yo does great shooting with these. but, my plan was to slip some 140 grain core-lokts in the mag as i didn't figure he would notice when shooting at a deer. my tikka shoots the aforementioned ammo to approx the same poi with the cl being 1" higher at 100yds.so,would y'all try the 120 grain sst on the mag or do the ole switcharoo and slip 3 140 grain core-lokts in for a broadside 60yd shoulder shot??

From what I’ve seen done with the 7mm-08, I’d take a dozen 7mm Nosler 120gr Ballistic Tips over 200 SSTs. I wouldn’t think twice about it, either.

The 7-08 and 120 NBT go together like chicken fried steak and eggs. They kill chit like el Diablo himself.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Arrow:

Not in the same class at all. The 120 BT was the darling of the silhouette shooters and accidentally became a great game bullet. The SSTs I have shot were like fragging the deer although I have not tried the 120x7mm iteration nor will I be likely to do so. They will without question kill deer and fast too but if they are like the other SSTs I have used don't shoot for any part you want to eat.

I think they would really shine in the 08 or 7x57 or lesser velocity 7mms but when you have such a great bullet like the BT or even better the Barnes why use it? On the other hand the SST would be great for a reduced recoil load for the young lad. I think it opens up at 1600 fps or somewhere around there so a reduced load would be good for as far as a youngster should shoot.

To me most of this is moot as practically anything that goes bang will kill a deer.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i
've got some hornady custom lite 7mm-08 ammo loaded with the 120 grain sst is the reason i ask and my 6yo does great shooting with these.

You answered your own question. Hit a deer in the right spot, you can kill it with a stick...a rock on one end and feathers on the other.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
We finally got a deer shot with the 120 BT out of wife's A bolt Micro Hunter with a 20" barrel. Light load 40 gr RL15. 170# buck quartering slightly to at 60 yardish maybe a few more. Landed a couple inches in front of near shoulder centering the spine. Light enough load that she saw him fall in the scope. Lost the core in exchange for a 2" hole thru the cervical spine. Jacket traveled on thru the rear of far shoulder and apparently trampolined of the skin because I found it finger deep back up the exit hole. Obvious bullet failure.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sarcasm? If deer died promply, bullet did its job.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by shootem
We finally got a deer shot with the 120 BT out of wife's A bolt Micro Hunter with a 20" barrel. Light load 40 gr RL15. 170# buck quartering slightly to at 60 yardish maybe a few more. Landed a couple inches in front of near shoulder centering the spine. Light enough load that she saw him fall in the scope. Lost the core in exchange for a 2" hole thru the cervical spine. Jacket traveled on thru the rear of far shoulder and apparently trampolined of the skin because I found it finger deep back up the exit hole. Obvious bullet failure.

Did you weigh the jacket?

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

613 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1234, 16penny, 66 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,274
Posts18,448,369
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.