Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a Mossberg Patriot in 338 Win Mag. I don't have a lot of knowledge on these rifles, but have read great reviews on these. I got this thing for cheap. However with a leupold 3-9 on this thing, loaded it weighs less than 7 pounds. Less than 6 1/2 unloaded. 22" Fluted barrel.

I am not a guy that is recoil sensitive, but I am starting to wonder if this thing is going to ring my bell. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but just loaded up a box of 180 Grain Nosler Accubonds for it.

Anybody have any experience with these things in Magnum Calibers?

GB1

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a Mossberg Patriot in 338 Win Mag. I don't have a lot of knowledge on these rifles, but have read great reviews on these. I got this thing for cheap. However with a leupold 3-9 on this thing, loaded it weighs less than 7 pounds. Less than 6 1/2 unloaded. 22" Fluted barrel.

I am not a guy that is recoil sensitive, but I am starting to wonder if this thing is going to ring my bell. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but just loaded up a box of 180 Grain Nosler Accubonds for it.

Anybody have any experience with these things in Magnum Calibers?

If you are a little afraid to shoot it for extended periods at the range, buy and use a lead sled. But in reality the recoil won't be too bad from a mild 185-grain bullet/load. When I started shooting a .338WM I used 250-grain ammo, which produces a lot more recoil, and soon after got used to it. Also, you can always replace the butt pad with a Decelerator recoil pad later on.

To adjust the scope at the range, go to "youtube" and search for a "25-yard three shot sight." It will save you a lot of time at the range. Boresight the rifle, and then try something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeoFYsBSS3U

The video above is not one where you sight the rifle at 25 yards. In this case the person sighting the rifle foresighted the rifle before he shot it at the range. But if you don't foresight the rifle at 100 yards or more ahead of time, then from a solid rest at the range you can remove the bolt and look at the center of target through the barrel at 25 yards as you just the crosshairs while holding the rifle securely (don't allow it to move). Move the crosshairs to the middle of the target. This is a lot easier to do at 25 yards.

Then load the rifle and as you aim steady on the middle of the target, take one shot. From that first shot one, do as shown on the video. Now the rifle should be shooting right in the middle of the target. Move the target to 100 yards, and see how high above the center of the target you want your rifle to shoot.

Last edited by Ray; 12/16/17.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shoot all my 338 am from.a standing bench off a milk crAte with a 60 pound bull bag on top .I also use past pads .That gun needs some weight added or it's going.to kick pretty good .My 338 weigh about 8 pounds no.scope and don't kick more than a 20 ga to me .I.have two.light ones a Winchester model 70 with a boss on.It .It weighs 7 pounds bars and kicks bad without the muzzle brake about like 270 with.a brake .I would add weight to.Your gun by adding.lead or put a muzzle break on r
It .The 338 wm is awesome I.have used it 31 years .

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd be curious to know what your load was for the 180 grain Noslers. I have a Rem 700 in 338 WM and with the plastic stock, it's a relatively lightweight rifle too. I think the key to keeping the recoil from being excessive is to keep the velocity at the lower end and if possible use a faster burning powder. I've been loading Nosler 210 grain Partitions and I've tried Ramshot Big Game, RL15, and RL16. I settled on RL16 for this hunting season but I'll be experimenting again with different powders and bullets now that I'm done hunting for the year. I've already got some Barnes 185's to try.

I think with your 180's RL15 would be good to try, and possibly Varget, IMR4064, and IMR4895 or H4895. These faster powders max out around 10 to 12 grains less than some of other more typical 338 WM powders such as RL19 and 4350, which helps to lessen recoil as your powder charge weighs less. You won't get quite as much velocity but still over 3,000 fps which is plenty.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would shoot it and see, my howa 1500 338 hogue stock is more comfortable to shoot than my howa 1500 30-06 plastic stock. Honestly I can't see using a .338 WM on anything smaller than elk.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I saw them advertised just the other day. I wonder just how well they will hold up to the magnum recoil? I hope they hold up well ( since you have one smile ) but it won't take many rounds to find out. Just make sure all your action screws/scope mount/rings are tight. I had a Model 77 MKII back in the late 90's that kicked the guts out of a new Burris 3x9 right off. Later on, the Leupold 2.5x8 held up, but I didn't check my action screws ( I got lazy) and it cracked its bedding and up into the wrist. I replaced it with a clubby ( at the time) B&C synthetic. Sold it off. I later had a custom MGA LW made up in 340W. It ruined every scope I put on it. I had it rebarreled to 338 winmag with a tad heavier barrel and used the Barnes 185 XLC/H4350 and it was a gem. I gave that rifle to my Pastor in Texas. I am now awaiting arrival of a Mod 77 'tanger" that has been bedded/stock slimmed down in 338 and will put a Leupold 1.5x5 ( I highly recommend this particular scope). I too suggest you get a strap on Past Magnum Recoil Shield to start out with, and not heavy of a scope ( or it could kick the guts out!) Best of luck Pard.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bdan68
I'd be curious to know what your load was for the 180 grain Noslers. I have a Rem 700 in 338 WM and with the plastic stock, it's a relatively lightweight rifle too. I think the key to keeping the recoil from being excessive is to keep the velocity at the lower end and if possible use a faster burning powder. I've been loading Nosler 210 grain Partitions and I've tried Ramshot Big Game, RL15, and RL16. I settled on RL16 for this hunting season but I'll be experimenting again with different powders and bullets now that I'm done hunting for the year. I've already got some Barnes 185's to try.

I think with your 180's RL15 would be good to try, and possibly Varget, IMR4064, and IMR4895 or H4895. These faster powders max out around 10 to 12 grains less than some of other more typical 338 WM powders such as RL19 and 4350, which helps to lessen recoil as your powder charge weighs less. You won't get quite as much velocity but still over 3,000 fps which is plenty.

The Nosler 180 Grain Noslers are sitting on top of 74 Grains of IMR 4350. I have not been to the range yet to find out what it is actually going to do yet. I used to have a Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless that sat in a laminated stock, it was heavy, and recoil wasn't really that bad, a buddy's 300 Win Mag in model 70 ( the synthetic blind magazine version that walmart was selling 15 years ago or so) kicked a lot harder, that was a violent recoiling gun. He fried the Simmons that came on it, then a bushnell that he bought , then a tasco, before settling on a Leupold. The Ruger I had had a burris fullfield II on it, and it survived for years.

I have a leupold on the Mossberg right now, and when I get to the range I will report back on what it does. I could not resist, I got it cheap, cheaper than what you can buy it anywhere in a store, pawn shop or online.

As far as what I will hunt with it. Whitetails, Wild Pigs, Bears. A Elk hunt hopefully one of these days. I shot a whitetail with my old ruger years ago with a 200 Grain Winchester Silver Tip at 180 yards, poked a hole on the way in, about a tennis ball sized hole on the way out, and the damage inside was like a grenade went off. The Deer dropped in its tracks.

Last edited by Rugerfan4374; 12/20/17.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
My Daughter took hers to Africa last year and shot a 40 in Sable and a nice wart hog. Her boyfriend had a gunsmith put a brake on it. She could really shoot it. She put 2 touching and one 1/4 in left, off sticks, at 100 yrds. The PH even said ,that rifle is real accurate.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WildWest
My Daughter took hers to Africa last year and shot a 40 in Sable and a nice wart hog. Her boyfriend had a gunsmith put a brake on it. She could really shoot it. She put 2 touching and one 1/4 in left, off sticks, at 100 yrds. The PH even said ,that rifle is real accurate.

That is awesome! Congrats to her!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A little range report.

This mossberg is not that bad to shoot really. It will bite you if you are not ready, bit overall a big pussy cat with a bad attitude and claws. Shot about a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 group. I think I can get it better, but ran out of time today.

Short 22 fluted barrel gets hot in a hurry.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought one of these in 300 win mag over the summer. I have only shot remington core locts 180 gr. factory ammo in it so far. I don't know if its the stock design or what but that thing just flat out clobbers me. I have a model 70 in 338 and its mild compared to my patriot. I got mine with the walnut stock and it has an older Redfield 3-9 scope mounted on it. BTW it did about 1 1/2" at 100 yards with the factory loads. It does have potential to do better.
And yeah the barrel does heat up pretty quick.

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bearschlayerx2
I bought one of these in 300 win mag over the summer. I have only shot remington core locts 180 gr. factory ammo in it so far. I don't know if its the stock design or what but that thing just flat out clobbers me. I have a model 70 in 338 and its mild compared to my patriot. I got mine with the walnut stock and it has an older Redfield 3-9 scope mounted on it. BTW it did about 1 1/2" at 100 yards with the factory loads. It does have potential to do better.
And yeah the barrel does heat up pretty quick.

I found the recoil was less than anticipated. I figure this thing would beat me into next week, I was pleasantly surprised and happy with the accuracy so far.

I just bought a 24" Patriot with a threaded muzzle. (May 2020) in 338win. I shot it
off a rest on the bench and as expected the recoil was pretty stiff. I have a Leupold
2-7x compact scope on mine. Mossberg says the threaded muzzle is 11/16-24
but it's NOT. I miked it and got 0.625 just behind the threads which is 5/8"
I wanted a muzzle brake but couldn't find one in 338 cal so I took the rifle up to
Randy at Randy's Custom Rifles in NW Wyoming where I live. He has rethreaded
the muzzle and installed a brake. I will be picking the finished rifle up today.
I may buy a slip on Limbsaver recoil pad too but I'll shoot it again with the brake
first and see how effective the brake is? I'm shooting Hornady Precision Hunter
230gr ammo.

Anybody else own a Mossberg Patriot Synthetic in 338win mag with 24" barrel?
I'd love to hear your impression of this rifle and what brake you use IF you use one?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.