Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh so close! Logan County buck 'Goliath' likely new No. 2 Oklahoma buck

[Linked Image]
Steven Everett shows off the buck he named “Goliath,” taken on Nov. 18. It’s estimated to have 200 inches worth of antler. STEVEN EVERETT

Steven Everett’s “Goliath” buck keeps growing, and expert measurement shows it may come close to No. 1 for Oklahoma, but most likely will be the new No. 2 on the list of Oklahoma state record white-tailed bucks.

"It's what could have been," Everett said.

Everett’s early entry into the Tulsa World’s 180 Club contest was an easy call with a rough early gross score of 246 measured by Everett and his father, Johnnie. There was no question it would top the 180-inch mark to qualify for the club.

Later he connected with Boone & Crockett Club certified scorer George Moore of Edmond and the expert put the gross green score at roughly 255.

“When George first measured and we started talking about maybe a state record, it was like ‘Oh, wow! Oh my gosh,’” Moore said. “We’ll do the final measure and then figure deductions for the official net score. It’s going to be close but I don’t think it will make the (248 6/8). It will be close. On the low end it will be around 246 after deductions.”

A gross score is a measurement of all the mass, width and length of the antlers. Irregularities in the antlers, even in non-typical antlers, are deducted as penalties and a final, net score, is determined.

Only time and that final score will tell the full tale for the Goliath antlers.

The current Oklahoma overall record book buck listed in the state’s Cy Curtis records program is a buck with antlers that measured 248 6/8ths inches, shot by Michael Crossland in Tillman County in 2004.

The current No. 2 buck was taken just last year, Nov. 10, 2016, by Jeff Parker of Moore. His buck measured 245 5/8ths inches.

Everett named the buck Goliath as he watched him age and grow in photographs on his trail cameras at the family farm in Logan County the past three years.

In this state records contest with just a few inches difference one way or the other for the top listing, Everett notes a few inches are broken off the tip of the buck’s main beam on its left side. Those few inches could have made all the difference.

Or the buck could have been the state record last year.

“I have photos from last year, he was bigger overall and his G2’s (the second points on the antlers), were a lot taller,” he said.

Everett said he hunted hard last season but had no luck.

“He just never came out during daylight hours,” he said.

The year before that the buck might have been a record too, but Everett missed his chance.

“I missed this deer 2 years ago with my bow at 60 yards and it haunted me everyday after,” Everett said.

This season he finally connected with the buck near the end of the first day of the rifle season, on Nov. 18.

“I really wanted to take him with my bow. I saw him earlier in the season. He was at about 70 yards. There was plenty of daylight left, and then 15 hogs came in and ran him off, I couldn’t believe it.” He said.

When it came to rifle season, he felt he couldn’t pass it up and miss what might be his only chance.

“I was hunting out of a Redneck blind when he came chasing a doe into an open area I was hunting,” he said. “I shot him with my 7mm magnum Browning X-bolt within 15 seconds of seeing him, so the shakes would not set in.”

With a required 60-day drying period required before official scoring, that means the buck can be officially measured about January 17 or 18, 2018.

An official certification process would take place before it is official placed on the record book list.

State record or not, Everett said the experience has been fantastic.

"Especially since I got to share it with my Dad, he was hunting at another spot that night so we were both there," he said.

Everett’s buck is one of many large white-tailed bucks that have been documented in news stories and social media this season.

Moore told The Oklahoman last week he has scored 15 bucks in the state whose antlers measured more than 200 inches. Last year he scored four. This year thirteen were killed by hunters, one was a roadkill and one – which could have broken the state record—was found dead in a barbed wire fence in LeFlore County.

Oklahoma deer hunters with bucks of a gross green score of 180 inches or better can enter the contest to win a $500 cash prize. The drawing will be held Jan. 22.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW! What a monster!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One heck of a buck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,843 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.