24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well hares technically, but whatever. Was supposed to be out in PWS deer hunting this weekend but the forecast turned to chit and my buddies didn't want to venture out. I figured I'd go check on the local bunny population for the hell of it. We got into a spot where there was quite a few around, much better than the last few years.

I soaked a couple in some salt water overnight then soaked in seasoned buttermilk all day. Dredged them in flour and fried them up. My youngest really likes rabbits and wasn't terribly keen on the whole deal, so I made him some pasta, but he agreed to try the rabbit. He got over it real quick after the first bite! Two hind and two front legs later he announced that he was AOK with dad bringing them home for supper. I made some homemade jo-jos with sriracha salt along with some baked beans to go with them. Pretty good stuff!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
They really stand out after this heat wave!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
They really stand out after this heat wave!

No doubt! I went out a couple of weeks ago and had a much tougher time getting a bead on them. It was almost like cheating yesterday!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Sharable location? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just go out on the hay flats. Certainly not a secret spot but there's lot's of space out there and the rabbit numbers have come back up. Definitely quite a few folks hunt it but during the week it's pretty quiet. Plus it's relatively close to home and I can stop by the Birchwood Saloon or Pizza Man in ER for a cold one and a bite to eat when I'm done!

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Nice. Have not seen hares in any numbers here in quite a while.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The way to a boy's heart, etc.... smile

Have a hare and an ermine living under the apartment in Kotz. And a fox (or more) that keeps coming around nightly, from the tracks in fresh snow. Ever hopeful.... Hanging caribou legs from the porch railing for the last week probably didn't help with that, or leaving the boned backs/ribcages out back (now hauled out of town), but as of late last night, those are all gone, processed, removed, frozen, and packed away in freezer or coolers.

Probably won't keep the foxes out of town, but as long as they don't get too bold, animal control probably won't find 'em and whack em. Foxes are a rabies threat,....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have a number of spots where I used to post Riley and I would bird dog the cover very slowly and carefully to him. All I hear is the regular crack of a 22 and a boyish giggle. Love seeing them come back...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I flour and fry lightly then pressure cook them for about 15 minutes. The browned flour makes a beautiful gravy in the pressure cooker and every last rabbit is as tender as they come.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here the French make meat pies called tourtiers at Christmas. Rabbit with any other wild game moose or deer cooked with pork till it falls apart, not ground. They are awesome.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I flour and fry lightly then pressure cook them for about 15 minutes. The browned flour makes a beautiful gravy in the pressure cooker and every last rabbit is as tender as they come.

That sounds good. They tend to be a little more tough then chicken for sure. I'll have to try that method.

Originally Posted by SuperCub
Here the French make meat pies called tourtiers at Christmas. Rabbit with any other wild game moose or deer cooked with pork till it falls apart, not ground. They are awesome.

I think I may have asked you this before, but what part of NB are you from? I used to spend a lot of time in NB when I was a kid. I grew up on Passamaquoddy Bay across from St. Andrews.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I think I may have asked you this before, but what part of NB are you from? I used to spend a lot of time in NB when I was a kid. I grew up on Passamaquoddy Bay across from St. Andrews.

I live in Saint John only 1 hr from Saint Andrews. My wife's family lived in Saint Andrews and I have spent much time there over the years. NB is a beautiful province, but lives in the shadow of PEI, NS and NFLD, so largely gets overlooked.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I used to have some family in St. George. We went to Saint John quite a bit to watch the Flames play. NB is a great province, very similar to Maine obviously.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I need to get a couple wabbits this week. I have an old beater Mossberg pump 410 that's perfect for the task.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 77 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.